View Poll Results: Will there be a new civ trait?
Yes, of course! 7 31.82%
No, they'll recycle the old trait combos 11 50.00%
Don't ask me. I'm busy picking bananas. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22, 2002, 10:12   #1
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 21:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will there be a new civ trait?
My guess is yes, because there are eight new civs, and a new trait would generate six new trait combinations. The question is, what will that trait be?

I think it will be Maritime. I'm not sure what the benefits will be, because harbors are already cheaper for militaristic. Perhaps one extra food per coastal/sea/ocean tile? Perhaps a new naval scout-type unit for early coastal exploration?

But this trait does seem to fit well with the new civilizations. This is my guess on Maritime civs:

Vikings (+militaristic)
Spain (+religious)
Korea (+industrious)
Carthage (+commercial)
Greece (+scientific)
England (+expansionist)

The new scientific + commercial civ instead of Greece would be the Arabs.
The new expansionist + commercial civ instead of England would be the Inkas.

In addition:
Celts: Religious + ?
Mongols: Militaristic + expansionist

Makes sense?
Old May 22, 2002, 11:29   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:06
i guess no. I want one but i doubt they'll make one.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 22, 2002, 15:43   #3
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Will there be a new civ trait?
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
This is my guess on Maritime civs:

Vikings (+militaristic)
Spain (+religious)
Korea (+industrious)
Carthage (+commercial)
Maybe change it to expantionist
Greece (+scientific)
Keep it as is
England (+expansionist)
I'd go with Commercial & Maritime

The new scientific + commercial civ instead of Greece would be the Arabs.
I wouldn't say that the Arabs were that scientificaly advanced, although I don't know much about the Arabs
The new expansionist + commercial civ instead of England would be the Inkas.
Commercial maybe, expantionist, no. (I'd go with industrious, that's how they made their system of roads though the Andees.

In addition:
Celts: Religious + ?
Mongols: Militaristic + expansionist
Sounds about right
Old May 22, 2002, 17:04   #4
Cesa
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:06
I don't think there will be a new trait, and I think the vikings will be commercial/militaristic. But if there is, maritime is a pretty good idea, I don't think they will change the existing civs though (even if they add a trait).
Old May 22, 2002, 17:22   #5
Carver
Prince

Although I'm picking bananas right now I think with eight new civs there needs to be a new civ trait. Different combinations = more fun!
Old May 22, 2002, 17:24   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 20:06
logically, there should be more traits, and ideally, we'd be able to add our own traits, but this is FIRAXIS we're talking about...
Old May 22, 2002, 17:37   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Spain should defineately be commerical as well. Spain held an empire based upon acquiring gold for centuries. If that doesn't make you commercially-based, then nothing does.
Old May 22, 2002, 17:45   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:06
The probability is weak there are new traits, but not nil : We've seen many XP in the past for other games which added whole new features.
Old May 22, 2002, 22:46   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
The probability is weak there are new traits, but not nil : We've seen many XP in the past for other games which added whole new features.
but again, this is FIRAXIS.

maybe they'll release a second XP with new traits
Old May 23, 2002, 13:32   #10
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
logically, there should be more traits, and ideally, we'd be able to add our own traits, but this is FIRAXIS we're talking about...
Ideally, sure.

Please tell us how that could be done.

Let's say I want to create Maritime as a new trait. I want these civs to have 1 extra move for their ships, an extra trade on coastal tiles, and half price harbors. I know you're one of the "Civ III is Poop" people, but how in the world are they going to anticipate what we want as civ traits? How could they code that in?

Let's say I would like to make Agricultural. Hmm.. One extra food on grassland tiles, 1 extra food in cities over size 6, and 2x speed irrigation. How do they make it so I can do that?

I would like to see new civ traits to reduce the trait copies.
Old May 23, 2002, 13:42   #11
Stuie
King

And I want to create the Very Silly Indeed trait: one citizen in every city must be an entertainer, extra three turns of anarchy for revolutions, and all military units have a 50% bonus in combat (they know the killer joke - "My dog has no nose!")

No offense Uber, but I think the ability to add traits without dumbing them down to a generic set of options (pick one building to be half price, pick one tile improvement, pick a free tech) isn't quite feasible.

I for one am 80% certain there will be at least one new trait, and it will probably be Maritime. How that will play out on a pangea map, I don't know.....
Old May 23, 2002, 16:58   #12
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

It should be possible to make more/change the existing ones in the editor

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 23, 2002, 18:35   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
And I want to create the Very Silly Indeed trait: one citizen in every city must be an entertainer, extra three turns of anarchy for revolutions, and all military units have a 50% bonus in combat (they know the killer joke - "My dog has no nose!")

No offense Uber, but I think the ability to add traits without dumbing them down to a generic set of options (pick one building to be half price, pick one tile improvement, pick a free tech) isn't quite feasible.

I for one am 80% certain there will be at least one new trait, and it will probably be Maritime. How that will play out on a pangea map, I don't know.....
i honestly believe that with a "robust" editor, such a thing would be possible.
Old May 23, 2002, 19:13   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:06
I'm thinking, and I don't see how such a thing is possible. I agree with Stuie : an editable trait would be very limited, as the ability to edit buildings is very limited : you have a set of options, and you mix & match them. If you want to have something else than a simple mix&match, it's a matter of programming, or Firaxis must have an infinite imagination (and development time) to satisfy the infinite imagination of the fans. Some developers who barely have time to think about this cannot match the imagination of thousands of fans, in which there are people who think whole days about what a new trait could be.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:05   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I'm thinking, and I don't see how such a thing is possible. I agree with Stuie : an editable trait would be very limited, as the ability to edit buildings is very limited : you have a set of options, and you mix & match them. If you want to have something else than a simple mix&match, it's a matter of programming, or Firaxis must have an infinite imagination (and development time) to satisfy the infinite imagination of the fans. Some developers who barely have time to think about this cannot match the imagination of thousands of fans, in which there are people who think whole days about what a new trait could be.
you could make it rather simple, for example you have a bunch of dropdown menus, for example + [variable] trade, or + [variable] production.

i'm fairly sure the structures are split into categories already (religious, scientific etc) so i'm sure they could tack on several "types" per each structure, ie a harbor being both maritime and commercial.

another useful thing would be a way to start a civ with a unit (ie expansionists with explorers).
Old May 24, 2002, 05:49   #16
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 11:06
Maritime, Agricultural and Urban. Those are traits I'd want to see if possible. But I don't think that there will be any new traits added.

And being able to create traits would be a great idea, as there needs to be more options to this game. More options, means more replayability. How else do you think Half-Life is still huge after all these years?
Old May 24, 2002, 13:40   #17
KaiserIsak
Warlord

Local Time: 01:06
The incas cant be commecrial, in te inca empire there were nothing like trade. People owned everything togheter and the state gave them what they needed. No trade were needed.
They should maybe be reigious instead, or militaristic.
btw i can understand why the americas are not religious and militaristic.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:07   #18
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I doubt there will be new traits in the game. New something perhaps, but I don't know what. Just what I think though.