Old May 23, 2002, 11:22   #61
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 21:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Most of the tribes went caput when the kingdom of Israel had fallen.
The only tribe left, in significant numbers, was Yehuda, Jehuda, Jews.
Natan disagrees with you. And I'm more apt to believe him .

Quote:
India's natural state is to be partitioned. A unified subcontinent is much more the exception than the rule. Even being in only three parts (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) is anomalous--it's usually been more like a dozen. There's a ton of distinct langauges, cultures and ethnic groups, with differences greater than those in the EU.
Ah, he speaks the truth. The subcontinent has a variety of cultures of its own. No pahs from me .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 23, 2002, 11:45   #62
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 02:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Musharraf has said that Pakistan will use nuclear weapons if it is under serious threat. India has says that they will only use their nuclear capability in retaliation...

Lightblue's odds on nuclear war in the Indian subcontinent by the end of the year: 12-1
By the end of the decade: 3-1
Odds on general war without nuclear exchange this year: 2-1
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old May 23, 2002, 13:14   #63
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 03:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
kaput
kaputt
Old May 23, 2002, 13:33   #64
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think war is likely within the week. Given India's numerical superiority, it might be that Pakistan will nuke Indian troops. However, according to those on this thread, India would only have superiority in a small operation. If a general war broke out, Pakistan would have the advantage, so rather than escalating to nukes, they may escalate to an full scale war, at which point India might feel the need to nuke Pakistan.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 23, 2002, 13:34   #65
Ecthy
Emperor

The question is: will they only nuke when their cities are in danger or also when their troops are inferior at some point? Civ or EU?
Old May 23, 2002, 13:41   #66
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
I tend to think that if war breaks out , it will be pakistan who'll need the nukes first.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:09   #67
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

bye bye Delhi

how many people live there? 10-20 million?
Old May 23, 2002, 14:10   #68
Ecthy
Emperor

are you certain they'd nuke a capital city at once?
Old May 23, 2002, 14:14   #69
Lonestar
inmate
King

Well, they might go after Bombay
Old May 23, 2002, 14:14   #70
chequita guevara
Emperor

There's no reason to assume they'd go after each other's cities at first.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 23, 2002, 14:14   #71
Defiant
King

Local Time: 01:07
Does either India or Pakistan have the capability of launching nukes or do they have to drop them? And if they do have launch vehicles, how far can they launch their nukes?

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old May 23, 2002, 14:20   #72
Lonestar
inmate
King

Heard on the Radio today that the Indians set their carrier to sea yesterday, and began moving ships from their "Eastern" squadron to their Western Squadron.

INS Viraat

Old May 23, 2002, 14:26   #73
Az
Emperor

good point. I think they have 1000km ranged missiles, IIRC from newspaper reports. this will render new-delhi and bombay out of range, again, IIRC. but Karachi , the biggest pakistani city , is not safe , due to the superiority of the Indian Navy. they have a goddamn carrier.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:29   #74
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalgetti
good point. I think they have 1000km ranged missiles, IIRC from newspaper reports. this will render new-delhi and bombay out of range, again, IIRC. but Karachi , the biggest pakistani city , is not safe , due to the superiority of the Indian Navy. they have a goddamn carrier.
Well, you gotta remeber, the damn thing is nearly 60 yrs old, and only has Harriers and Helicopters.

Although, India will supposebly be accepting the transfer of the Old soviet Admiral Gorshkov next year, after they fix it up a bit.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:31   #75
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 19:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant
Does either India or Pakistan have the capability of launching nukes or do they have to drop them? And if they do have launch vehicles, how far can they launch their nukes?
They both have missiles for their nukes. India's can reach pretty much anywhere in Pakistan, but Pakistan's are much more limited. I think they'd get much more range dropping them off airplanes, but most of the news reports center on missiles, so maybe they're not considering bombers. A bomber would be much more vulnerable, of course.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:31   #76
Az
Emperor

looks like those brit carriers. I assume it's the same model.

funny I was under the impression they had a soviet one.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:43   #77
Defiant
King

Another question is how powerful are their warheads as in comparison to Hiroshima or Nakasaki?

Old May 23, 2002, 14:46   #78
Az
Emperor

The Admiral Gorshkov? let me check up with my dad. ok , he's not sure , but most chances are it's a Varyag . They're good, and carry SU-27s , IIRC , but I wonder in what condition is it.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:47   #79
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:07
If war erupts, this will be the best test of whether MAD is a viable doctrine for the future. I know the Europeans and the Americans do not agree on whether reliance on MAD is sufficient.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:54   #80
chequita guevara
Emperor

Well, do Pakistan and India have enough weapons to destroy each other? Nope. Then MAD doesn't apply.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:59   #81
Defiant
King

Also, if the USA can ever get that damn Missile Defense Shield working correctly it will take away from MAD (in the eyes of Europe and US), but both India and Pakistan are even close to that kind of technology.

Old May 23, 2002, 15:02   #82
Az
Emperor

well, as all the leadership will surely die , I don't think they're crazy enough . Musharraf is not religious, so he'll probably not go for it.
Old May 23, 2002, 15:03   #83
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Ok, Che has a point... how about MATHC (mutually assured three-headed children)? It's still a test of whether having nukes deters the use of nukes against you.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 23, 2002, 15:09   #84
Defiant
King

That is true, but also the question has to lay WHO is willing to use these, if they are super fundalmentalists who don't give a **** about their own lives then the idea of nukes deterring nukes would become pointless. That would our worse case scenario.

Old May 23, 2002, 15:26   #85
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Just an Update. India moved somthing like 400 armored vehicles to Khasmir. Indian aircraft are flying over there side. Pakistan does the same. Both sides seem to be talking about peace. But India says it must react. Khasmir militants vow more attacks on Indian soldiers and there families. Musharref promises to crackdown, India doubts it.

wholly crap, an aircraft carrier. God thats a small one, crowded too. Pakistan has a few American made destroyers. Also Pakistan has a few hundred F-16's I believe.
Old May 23, 2002, 15:38   #86
Az
Emperor

I think this will be a nice test on how armies with equal troop quality will fight , with Pakistan using mostly Western technology, while India is armed with Russian tanks and planes.
Old May 23, 2002, 15:39   #87
Sandman
King

You can bet that the West is rubbing it's fingers greedily at the prospect of a massive new market for weapons.
Old May 23, 2002, 15:44   #88
faded glory
King

Dalgetti, havent we tried that already? I mean, you kick the arabs ass every war. We killed the Iraqi's.....etc. I think we proved western equipment is better.

Pakistan is a bit outdated. Using Patton tanks and some Chinese ones. It would be a good match. But Pakistan is outnumbered somthing like 3 to 1.
Old May 23, 2002, 15:45   #89
Defiant
King

Sandman,
I think you are right, alot like the Iran-Iraq war, the US arms one side and the Russians the other and the only ones gaining anything in that war was the US and Russia from arms sales.

Old May 23, 2002, 15:49   #90
faded glory
King

We didnt arm anybody in Iran-Iraq? I dont think. We did give some money to Iraq, but not enough really to do very much, except say buy a dozen airplanes. The Russians sold 60 billion worth of equipment to Baghdad.