Old May 24, 2002, 13:04   #121
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Correction: the 1962 border conflict was a Chinese response to Indian aggression. The PLA even unilaterally withdrew even though they could have easily capture New Delhi.
True, but that's not how the West saw it
Old May 25, 2002, 06:14   #122
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant
Yea Right, Missile tests (ie. nuclear warning blasts)
Missile tests complete.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc...tan/index.html

And the rhetoric continues. When will we see some fireworks already?
Old May 25, 2002, 16:51   #123
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07

Lonestar, I wasn't thinking amphibious capability at all. just tying up some of their air force to the coast , to gain them an edge in the northen kashmir area, perhaps , coastal support to help advancing forces. Aircraft superiority can be nullified with Air defences , for a time, while superior ground troops will march on forward air bases. I think .

And people are happy about the cuts in nuclear arsenals treaty between the US and Russia. who cares? they're not the ones about to launch.
Old May 25, 2002, 19:01   #124
Kyle
Prince

Here's an interesting article from the Times of India...

Quote:
Has US seized Pak N-arms?

K SUBRAHMANYAM

TIMES NEWS NETWORK [ SATURDAY, MAY 25, 2002 12:04:30 PM ]

NEW DELHI: The missile tests by Pakistan could indicate that the Americans have taken charge of the country’s nuclear warheads.

President Prevez Musharraf, in his speech on September 19, had said if he did not join the US alliance, Pakistan's strategic assets – nuclear warheads and missiles – would be under threat.

The tests have been done for domestic reasons. The country is under tremendous world pressure to climb down on its policy on terrorism vis-a-vis India. And the government would want to demonstrate to the people that it is not yielding.

It is, therefore, compensating a possible climbdown through more tests.

The tests, themselves, are superfluous. Ghauri and Shaheen are already tested and proven Chinese and North Korean missiles. The fact that they are being tested over land and inhabited areas proves the point further.

The Americans, meanwhile, cannot trust Pakistan with both missiles and nuclear warheads. Given the Pakistani hatred for them, they fear the weapons may be turned against them, to attack their bases in Afghanistan and aircraft carriers in the region.

The US counter-proliferation policy would be totally meaningless if the US forces deployed there permit Pakistan to use nuclear weapons.The US media and analysts have been silent so far on this issue. The US is engaged in information warfare, trying to frighten India and Pakistan away from war.

It has, however, refrained from discussing the possibility of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons being turned against it.

But the US is not to be blamed for that. India has not asked the right questions.

(As told to Sidharth Srivastava)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/A...rt_id=10950554

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old May 25, 2002, 22:54   #125
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 19:07
I like the Times of India. I think more major newspapers should have Babe of the Day pages.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:38   #126
Kyle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew1999
I like the Times of India. I think more major newspapers should have Babe of the Day pages.

Oddly enough, the Hindustan Times also has collections of "babe" pictures.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old May 25, 2002, 23:53   #127
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Did you read the joke section? You won't find jokes like that in an American newspaper!
Old May 26, 2002, 01:34   #128
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:07
No fireworks yet. Just a vietnam for india, and there getting angry about it. The constant proxy shellig across Khasmir, the pakistani's seem to be getting the better of. In terms of casualties. I dont know if it has more to do with more Indian troops, hence larger concentrations, or the fact that Chinese artillery is that damn good. You see 3 pakistani's hurt, and 30 indians hurt in artillery shootouts each day.
Old May 28, 2002, 22:50   #129
Lonestar
inmate
King

I think just more troops.
Old May 28, 2002, 22:58   #130
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:07
I read yesterday that an unnamed Indian military officer boasted that "they are ready to lose 25 million people in a nuclear war."

If that's true, I loath to be an Indian civilian now. What kind of democracy we have here?
Old May 28, 2002, 23:18   #131
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 20:07
I wonder what exactly India expects to gain from a war and possible nuclear exchance? Is it that important to govern a tract of land that is contaminated and devastated. I wonder if Muslims world wide will consider India as the great Satan if they use nuclear weapons against a muslim country.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old May 28, 2002, 23:28   #132
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:07
To me, it all smacks like a good way of diverting the attention of its citizens to somewhere else, particularly with all these cheap cheesy terrorism talks it can't substantiate. That means the current government probably has some thorny socio-economic issues it can't tackle.