Old May 24, 2002, 05:10   #31
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Fearless_Mage
"I really think that it would be of benefit to include the other supplicants"

what the hell does that mean?

Sorry if its offencise.
No offence taken - I was just suggesting that Mercatia, StrayBow, Julius and now I guess SG(2) might be included - but

Rule 7
The game belongs to the thread-starter and it is their perogative to include and exclude whomsoever they may wish.

and if you wish to invoke this - so mote it be - but please tell us if this is your decision and I shall start another 2.42 game to run in parallel

SG[1]
Old May 24, 2002, 08:02   #32
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
2) If Julius moans then he's sent to a Gulag for some "retraining".
Comrades Lafayettovitsch and Androgitpovitch, please remember that I’ve already been sent to the goulag for speaking my mind in other succession games. I don’t fear to go back there.
One of my favorite song is by Leonard Cohen :
“They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
For trying to change the system from within”
Fist we take Manhattan – then we take Berlin
Old May 24, 2002, 10:26   #33
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 02:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Andemagne
may I ask what do you guys theach?
Mostly economics and finance (in fact I learn much more than I teach nowadays : learn civ3 + japanese language )
Old May 24, 2002, 10:31   #34
La Fayette
King

Quote:
I propose that this venture becomes the antidote to the Democracy Game. The following conditions apply to a commie succession game:

1) There is a ruling Politburo of "Old Farts" (Thinks…we need some older players )
2) If Julius moans then he's sent to a Gulag for some "retraining".
3) Cities are frequently renamed by the Presidium to reflect who is in/out of favour with the Central Committee. (Could be confusing with everywhere called Scouse Farts)
4) Any defectors who go over to the Democracy Game will be hunted and eliminated.
5) Comrade La Fayette runs the KGB...but one of his spies will always report to me
6) Gits are allowed to drink wine instead of vodka.

----------------------

SG(2) The people have spoken!
Old May 24, 2002, 10:37   #35
La Fayette
King

Quote:

5) Comrade La Fayette runs the KGB...but one of his spies will always report to me
6) Gits are allowed to drink wine instead of vodka.

----------------------

SG(2) The people have spoken!
5) If one of them does that, you can bet she's a mole.
6) Only red wine tolerated, of course.
Old May 24, 2002, 10:50   #36
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 20:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Got it... should have a save later today, when work calms down...

(STYOM cracks open bottle of Absolut )

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 24, 2002, 10:57   #37
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette

Mostly economics and finance (in fact I learn much more than I teach nowadays : learn civ3 + japanese language )
LaFayette-sama wa Nihongo wo benkiyo shimashita ka.

If I remember well...

Ah and about the red wine. What if no grapes are produced due to our 5 year economic plan?
Do we need to fill the empty wine bottles with vodka and ask the SGs to call it "red wine"?
Old May 24, 2002, 12:13   #38
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I started a second 2.42 game anyway - there seems to be enough interest...
The game is open anyone can join in you can play in both games if you like ...

SG[1]
Old May 24, 2002, 19:26   #39
Fearless_Mage
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:08
ANYONE can play, tell you the truth I usaully play at prince.
and rule 8)no boba feets. sorry but NO boba fetts.

naah just jokes
Old May 24, 2002, 19:32   #40
Fearless_Mage
Chieftain

i can't remember who the others are so if you want to be in it PLEASE post here and i'll edit my origanal post and add you.
Old May 24, 2002, 19:39   #41
Mercatia
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:08
I'll play....and learn!
Old May 25, 2002, 02:24   #42
King

Here it is...
A proletarian Man arises to lead the nomadic Romans. Armed with both knowledge of Bronze Working and that more skilled leaders will certainly succeed him , Comrade STYOM begins his rule.

4000: Turns on "Always Wait at End of Turn". Turns off "Throne Room" and "Instant Advice" As if! Turns on 'Map Grids'

3950: Das Kapital founded (2 special location, hoping to reveal more, maybe a whale or wine to the SW??) Warrior started. Workers shifted to Iron in order to speed Warrior production. 2nd NON settler moves NW, discovering a river.

3900: Researching Alphabet (on the road to Monarchy).

3850: Workers in Das Kapital switched to Wheat (avoiding wasted production).

3800: White Square founded; starts Warriors (workers shifted to Buffalo). A lovely little town which triples our Science output.

3750: Warriors enrolled in Das Kapital. They move SW and find... no whales. Das Kapital begins Settlers.

3700: Warriors find a village, doubtless populated by imperialists, near Das Kapital. Workers in White Square switched from Buffalo to Grassland (again, to avoid waste).

3650: Alphabet learned. Researching Ceremonial Burial. The village of imperialists give up their worldly goods (in this case some Horsemen ) to join the Roman collective. Our new Horsemen explore eastward.

3600: White Square has gathered a troop of young Warriors, willing to die so that future generations might stand in line for days to buy a loaf of bread. Settlers started. Warriors from White Square begins to explore a promising-looking river complex...

3550: Warriors returns to Das Kapital. Horsemen continue to the North and East of Das Kapital, revealing Silk and Fish. Warriors from White Square continues along the river, finding some Buffalo.

STYOM announces a new 500 Year Plan, and is quickly stripped of Politburo membership by a vengeful Praesidium, an event which becomes known to future generations as a 'Cabinet Shuffle'...

(For those of you attempting to learn, planning to criticize, or both , I have included the rationale for some of my decisions...)

STYOM
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ro-3550.sav (68.6 KB, 4 views)

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 25, 2002, 04:04   #43
Fearless_Mage
Chieftain

i'll edit the original later, not enought time now bye
Old May 25, 2002, 12:23   #44
La Fayette
King

I was next to STYOM on the list.
Therefore I downloaded and played 10 turns.

STYOM, I hope you don't mind. I think we said that we would make remarks and give advice. Here is one for a start:
In your 3550BC savegame both cities are size one and growing at the rythm of one food/turn. They should both be growing at a rythm of 2 food/turn until they reach size 2. This has been clearly demonstrated by daveV in his paper 'the daveV view' that you can find in the GL (just below my own '3 arrow strategy' ).
You find it under the letter 'R' ( = Ressource square usage).

Well, I went on growing both cities (at 2 food/turn until size 2 ) and exploring. Discovered CB in 3250 and switched to CoL. Also bought one shield in Das Kapital, in order to get a settler in 5 turns (that settler should be completed in 3000BC).
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ca_b3050.zip (6.5 KB, 4 views)
Old May 25, 2002, 12:31   #45
La Fayette
King

Perhaps I should mention that I didn't tip any of the huts I met.
I hate to get a 'useless' tech before Monarchy is discovered.
(Anyway STYOM, you were lucky enough to get a horseman...perhaps we should name our next city 'Las Vegas', but I guess the Politburo wouldn't like it )
Old May 25, 2002, 22:32   #46
Fearless_Mage
Chieftain

ok i'll download it now , should be up by tomorrow....
Old May 25, 2002, 23:14   #47
Fearless_Mage
Chieftain

what luck, i had enough time to do it right away.
ok here gos.

Ceasar the peacekeeper, ascends to the throne in 3000 bc, after his father/mother Casear La Fayette is taken away by the gods in his/hers old age, so that he/she has eternal lfe in the afterlife.

3000 bc, Das Kapital builds settlers, i ordered a nother one to be built. The evil Germans show up, the grovelling weakling ask for a peace treaty. I sign the peace treaty, as our forces are not strong enough to risk a full scale war.

2900bc, Discover a hut, take it and unleash one barbabian. Seeing the might of my horseman, he runs away.

2850 bc, germans sneaking around, starting to really anony me. Swap alphabet for pottery.

2850bc, discover advance tribe, near a river north of White Square. (up bye the inland sea).

2600bc, White Square builds settlers, now has NO production shields. Set it for another settlers. Next person can change it.

2550bc, finish researching code of laws, and start on monarchy.

Caesar the peacekeeper dies and is buried in a tomb id Das Katipal. Great magicans cast powerful spells so that he might arise agian another day........

the germans are stopping our growth to the northwest, we should attack them before they get to power full.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ca_b2550.zip (7.2 KB, 3 views)
Old May 26, 2002, 05:53   #48
Messer Niccolò
Prince

[we should attack them before they get to power full]

We will, we will...
Old May 26, 2002, 08:03   #49
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Just d/led - will be back in an hour or so (RL permitting...)

SG[1]
Old May 26, 2002, 10:11   #50
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Here it is ...

2550 - Rather than waste time fiddling with the Settler next to the German Warrior - Chancer's Squat founded - German moved away - Yeah! Rushed Warrior in Tropical Resort to avoid disorder - changed production to Gardens in Das Kapital.
2500 --
2450 --
2400 - Horse takes chance and tips hut near Germany - Legion (Chancer's Squat)
2350 - German Legion sighted - could be bad news
2300 - Tickled Settler production a little
2250 - 41/60 beakers towards Monarchy 6 a turn - this is too slow it hurts ...
2200 - Damn - I guessed wrong - the Germans are to our South not as I thought the West
2150 - Squeeze one extra beaker out of Das Kapital so ...
2100 - Monarchy discovered - move to Currency

That's my ten turns - not a lot of activity, but Settler production now bubbling - it might be worth thinking about building a couple of horsemen to disband in Das Kapital to hurry the Gardens a little...

PLEASE - Don't forget to Revolt before hitting the 'End of Turn'
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ca_b2100.zip (7.9 KB, 3 views)
Old May 26, 2002, 11:20   #51
King

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette
STYOM, I hope you don't mind. I think we said that we would make remarks and give advice. Here is one for a start:
In your 3550BC savegame both cities are size one and growing at the rythm of one food/turn. They should both be growing at a rythm of 2 food/turn until they reach size 2. This has been clearly demonstrated by daveV in his paper 'the daveV view' that you can find in the GL (just below my own '3 arrow strategy' ).
You find it under the letter 'R' ( = Ressource square usage).
Oh, but of course

La Fayette, I am glad of the advice. I just read the DaveV post in the GL (along with your 3 arrows strategy in case there is a quiz later ) and it makes perfect sense. I was one of the people who advocated maximizing trade, or shields, in the early going. But the numbers DaveV shows are a compelling case for maximizing food up to size 2.

I find myself quite good at adjusting worker placement to avoid wasted shields - or tweaking trade to get an advance in 5 turns instead of 6. One thing that has eluded me is a way to strike a balance between keeping a city at size 2 to crank out settlers, while not letting it get too big (size 3). So this is quite an epiphany.

STYOM

Old May 26, 2002, 18:19   #52
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Quite busy today!
2050 BC Thanks to the SG[1], our people seem to appreciate the new Gov't form: Monarchy. To avoid some unpleasant revolution our first King, Niccolorus I - the Whales Eater - raises to power and orders the Neverending Party (Lux 30% - Sci 70%) [well, I thought that Tropical could benefit 3 shields more and Advanced Tribe could use the Elvis (shield+trade) instead of getting 4 gold per turn . Could one of the OldFarts give an advice about this?]

2050-1950 BC Nothing happens: Party time!

1900 BC Some Tropical Resort fishers decide to have enough of whale meat (one of the favourite dishes of the King) and are immediately enrolled to build a road to the south (and lately to form a new city (maybe near some silk to have the finest robe in the world? )

1850 BC The King orders to White Square inhabitants a Kajak expedition to form a new city at the end of the river (White Square builds settler)

1800 BC Advanced Tribe's advanced citizens, by His Majesty order, start to build a road towards the capital (and to create a new city later on).
Frederick of German politely asks our Horsemen to retire from his capital well... at the moment it is His capital...

1750 BC Our sage men discover CURRENCY, the King is pleased and commands the ConeHeads to enquire on a strange creature: The Camel... in His dreams "Sir Boss" has seen hundreds and hundreds of camels forming what He calls a Caravan (maybe he ate too much stewed Whale is the comment of the nearest advisors). The ConeHeads - smiling - nodded all together (they have 70% of the royal budget ).

1700 BC At the end of the river the Kajak Expedition founds "Chanel n°5" (renamed SmellO'Fish after a short visit from the royal envoyee, who asks himself which is the smell of White Square!)

1650-1600 BC Feeling the heaviness of the Golden Crown, King Niccolorus I - the Whales Eater - decided to pass on...
Old May 26, 2002, 18:20   #53
Messer Niccolò
Prince

and here is the save!
Savegame...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ca_b1600.zip (8.5 KB, 3 views)
Old May 26, 2002, 18:24   #54
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Quote:

- it might be worth thinking about building a couple of horsemen to disband in Das Kapital to hurry the Gardens a little...

SG,
just a question... but don't we need Horseback Riding to build horsemen?
And before to discover how to ride the 4 legged friends we should have a lot of camels...
Old May 26, 2002, 19:43   #55
Mercatia
Chieftain

Oh no Ok I downloaded but I gotta go cook whale meat for dinner. Well its really cow meat but still. It will be just a little bit and I'll post tonight.
Old May 27, 2002, 03:10   #56
Mercatia
Chieftain

Mercatia moves into the palace in the year 1550B.C.
Chancers Squat finished training a settler and decided to train
another.
One of our brave settler's roading near Das Kapitol saved the life
of a legion in a burning hut. He agreed to help us out by
heading to Das Kap to kick out a court jester distracting the
peasants.

1500 B.C.
Mercatia bakes an apple pie and makes potato salad for today
she is declaring a Memorial Holiday.

1450 B.C.
Horsey found some parchment scrolls in a rundown shack just
south of WhiteSquare. It had scribbles of something called
Mysticism.

Dr. Pepper Town was founded between Advanced Tribe and
WhiteSquare. They immediatly went to work on warriors.

Smell o Fish completed a warrior. Started Settler boot camp on
the shores of Smelly Lake.

1400 B.C.
All citizens applaud we have learned the art of Trade. So the
scholars believing that if you can pack goods on a camel. Maybe
man too could ride a beast. They decided to work on
horseback riding.

Horsey found a legion lost in the plains just north of Das Kapitol.
They too are headed to Das Kap to aid in kicking jester butt!

Chancers Squat changed from training settler to training camels.

1350 B.C.
Warrior from White Square arrived in Das Kapitol Which allowed
our legion to retire. We gained 6 years toward the completion of
the HG.

1300 B.C. - 1250 B.C.
Mercatia traveled the lands and spend many a fun filled nights in
Tropical Resort. All was quiet in the kingdom. So she thought!!

1200 B.C.
Tropical Resort wasn't growing and Mercatia was quite
saddened by the loss of shields when the governer told her she
must delay settler production, but she kept her cool and
ordered camel farming on the shores of Tropical Lake.

Our legion arrived at Das Kapitol He died unfortunately after
eating a bad batch of camel poo stew. EWE!!! ( Only 11 turns to
go on Hanging Gardens.

Dr. Pepper town finished training a warrior and started erecting
a tent to sell thier fine fizzy Prune Juice.

1150 B.C.

Advanced tribe turns out a settler and begins packing a camel.

We all get to picnic today our glorious kindom is now 200,000
strong!

1100 B.C. WhiteSquare trains a settler and begins training
Phalanx. Mercatia loves the Toga's they wear.

Mercatia renounced her throne and headed to Tropical Resort to
marry the bar owner and live out her life on the beach. As she left
Das Kapitol she noted the road to Tropical Resort was nearly
complete.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ca_b1100.zip (9.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Mercatia; May 27, 2002 at 03:19.
Old May 27, 2002, 03:23   #57
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Messer Niccolò

SG,
just a question... but don't we need Horseback Riding to build horsemen?
And before to discover how to ride the 4 legged friends we should have a lot of camels...
Alright already - so I made a tiny little slip - don't lose your balance :oops:

SG[1]
Old May 27, 2002, 09:13   #58
King

I have the save... should be able to play it today.

STYOM

Old May 28, 2002, 00:27   #59
King

In the Year 1100, Mercatia having retired to her beachfront dacha outside Tropical Resort, STYOM resumed dictatorship of the proletariat.

Goals:
Finish HG
More cities
Build up Caravans for Colossus
Contain Germany, keep 'em out of our lebensraum... err.. livingrooms, that's what I meant to say

1100: Some units rehomed to ensure <4/city. Production in DrPepperTown changed to Temple from Marketplace (too few arrows for a Market, yet). Some workers rearranged to make La Fayette happy

STYOM looks for a spot for Colossus/SSC... nothing good We'll settle for Advanced Tribe, for now.

1050: LotsaSmokestack founded, starts Warriors. Another village of future servants of the proletariat discovered N of LotsaSmokestack.

Taxes adjusted to 3.0.7. None of our cities were producing 2 lux on 0.3.7, and 1 lux won't sway the mood of the people.

1000: It looks as if the village we discovered has already been swayed by shiny beads from the capitalists of the West (Germans). Angry Horsemen oppose us when we enter. Our Horsemen dispatch them.

975: We discover Horse Riding. Strange that we have Horsemen without that. Oh well, onward to 'Map Making', so everyone will know what STYOM is talking about when he uses words like 'west' and 'north'.

950: Many routes are completed between our towns. STYOM orders those workers to go forth to found new homes, in anticipation of HG being finished.

925: LotsaSmokestack was filled with vicious, drunken bullies 25 years ago. Now, the vicious, drunken bullies have Warrior uniforms! Locals start to pack up, planning to build a new town somewhere else...

900: Things move around. STYOM sips Stoli' from a tall glass, contemplating Nietsche and the question of the true Superman: Clark Kent, or Stalin?

875: Hanging Gardens bought for 28 Gold (saves 3 shields)

850: Mmmmm... Settlers in SmelloFish. Can't hardly blame 'em for leaving. Recruiting begins for Horsemen... speaking of smells.

Dye Caravan in Chancer's Squat; starts Horsemen. Sensing a trend here, Germans?

Beads Caravan in Tropical Resort. Camel spit is everywhere, and the locals demand that another Caravan be formed to cull the herd.

Riotous Cheering and celebration in Das Kapital, for we have the Hanging Gardens. This happy day reminds STYOM of the first time he harangued a profiteer. Settlers started in Das Kapital.

ARealReach founded south of Das Kapital. Again, the local bullies are to be given Warriors uniforms.

Another village, NW of LotsaSmokestack.

825: Borscht founded...

Village of idiots entered by Horsemen. Idiots, quoth STYOM, because they've placed their village quite badly. Nonetheless they join our empire as the town of WhyHere?, and Warriors are recruited.

800: Caravans continue towards Advanced Tribe, SSC designate.

White Square builds Wine Caravan. Many tears are shed when it leaves town Horsemen are recruited to deal with the German threat.

Wise men discover Map Making in an attempt to trace the Wine Caravan's whereabouts. Reassured, they begin work on Elephant Taming (Poly).

Rooty Toot founded... again, Warriors...

German emissary arrives for a dinner party. Sadly, he misplaces his coat and leaves without it, and the 100 gold in the pocket. Unsurprisingly the Germans won't trade sciences with us

STYOM looks around, well pleased. 5 new towns have joined our empire, the Gardens are ours, and Caravans race ( ) towards Advanced Tribe, soon to be home to the Colossus. So pleased is the Praesidium, that a dacha in the potato fields outside Das Kapital is gifted to STYOM in retirement.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ca_b800.sav (71.8 KB, 4 views)

Old May 28, 2002, 02:08   #60
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sounds like a great turn SYOM - but why Settlers in Das Kapital? With that city celebrating (HG) and an SSC (Col) trade between these two will be enormous - growbags not settlers for my money - any comments on this ?

SG[1]