Old May 23, 2002, 10:14   #1
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Warlord-AI is a *****
IMHO the chieftan and warlord AI is a ***** when it comes to making war. When it dares to start a war at all, and our armies are about equal it never goes voor the big push but just sends a couple of units. It just leans back and goes for the defendse, I've never seen an AI with a great offensive power yet.

I haven't really tried monarch or higher yet, because I think I need some more experience with the Civ3 basics, but I'm thinking of giving it a try. Are there big diferences here concerning my question?
Old May 23, 2002, 13:03   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The differences are frightening, to say the least. Once on diety, I fought off (successfully, just barely) a column of 48 Swordsmen in 200 AD. It was scary.

But Regent is okay. Just enough difficulty to keep you on your toes, but not those stinkin' uber-stacks.
Old May 23, 2002, 13:59   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The AI has less productive capacity on chieftain and warlord, compared to say... Diety. Much less. Thus, it has less troops (especially when you count the free units it gets on the higher levels). When the AI feels it has enough units to hurt you, it will definitely try - ala that 48 swordsman stack Trip mentioned.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 23, 2002, 17:29   #4
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 20:10
You are going to be crying when you try the harder difficulty levels...
Old May 23, 2002, 20:07   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Agreed, much of the AI's war strategy is driven by available funds. Even on the higher levels, though, the AI is still missing the boat on some things.

In the epic Egyptian game, I should have been crushed by now, but the lack of artillery on the AI's part has let me turn the tide of the war.

From a "fun" perspective though, having 100s of enemy show up on your doorstep certainly puts you on the edge of your seat.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:33   #6
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 20:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Agreed, much of the AI's war strategy is driven by available funds. Even on the higher levels, though, the AI is still missing the boat on some things.

In the epic Egyptian game, I should have been crushed by now, but the lack of artillery on the AI's part has let me turn the tide of the war.

From a "fun" perspective though, having 100s of enemy show up on your doorstep certainly puts you on the edge of your seat.
I once went into the Editor and told the French to buld more artillery.

When I checked what the French were up to when they invaded me, the AI had left ALL the cannon in their cities. Dumb. Before tanks arrive, artillery should be the prime offensive mover, as it was in the Napoleonic wars.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:48   #7
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 17:10
Quote:
IMHO the chieftan and warlord AI is a ***** when it comes to making war.

Allegedly there is no difference in the AI by difficulty level. I think there is increased aggressiveness on higher levels but they may be more due to the increased number of units the AI can produce than an actual attitude change.

What you are seeing is that the AI is moderatly handicapped on Warlord and just plain crippled on Chieftan. It sounds like its time for you to move up a level. Moving up two levels to Monarch could be a real shock. It took me three games before I won my first on Monarch and I won my second game when I tried Emperor.
Old May 23, 2002, 21:02   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

I once went into the Editor and told the French to buld more artillery.

When I checked what the French were up to when they invaded me, the AI had left ALL the cannon in their cities. Dumb. Before tanks arrive, artillery should be the prime offensive mover, as it was in the Napoleonic wars.
Artillery was never the 'prime offensive mover', it was essential to attacking because it weakened the enemy so the rest of the army could finish it off. Imagine what would happen if someone was stupid enough to launch an attack with artillery alone...
Old May 23, 2002, 23:06   #9
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:10
Re: Warlord-AI is a *****
Quote:
Originally posted by V.O.C.'02
IMHO the chieftan and warlord AI is a ***** when it comes to making war. When it dares to start a war at all, and our armies are about equal it never goes voor the big push but just sends a couple of units. It just leans back and goes for the defendse, I've never seen an AI with a great offensive power yet.
I've seen them with what I'd call a fair number of attacking units. Once, about 12-14 units (a few swordsmen, but mostly longbowmen) from the Germans went rambling around some un-claimed territory in a cheiftain game I was playing once. Never found out what they were doing...

Also, in a game, I had to deal with an onslaught of Egyptian war chariots, though my legions did pick them off pretty easily, it was a pain with the sheer number that came storming through.
Old May 24, 2002, 00:27   #10
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Until recent times (20th century and beyond) artillery was fairly unimportant. Cannonballs didn't explode, so the only damage they did was when they hit men as they flew across the landscape. Artillery is credited with less than 15 percent of all casualties in most cases (and consider the cost spent on artillery compared with regular infantrymen), which is very low. In some battles after 1810, Napoleon had as few as 50 guns at his command, while the Russians and others would have maybe 500 or more. That didn't stop Napoleon from crushing his opponents more often than not. Artillery was mainly used to demoralize enemy troops than anything else. Until explosive munitions were developed, artillery was only a support factor to other arms.
Old May 24, 2002, 00:32   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Trip, agreed. I very much apprecitate the jump from cannon to arty... in a way, one of the most reasonable matches to RL in the game.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 24, 2002, 00:38   #12
Jon Shafer

Unfortuneatly that is something you can always fix in the current editor. You can make any unit stronger, but you can't change the effects of it.
Old May 24, 2002, 05:20   #13
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

But are there more exact ways during the game to know when your army is big enough to kill one's another! Does it get less vague then, "compared to these guys, we've got an avarege army
Old May 24, 2002, 06:53   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:10
Don't trust that comparison at all - it only compares numbers of units IIRC, including settlers and workers.

When you get spies in the enemy nation, then you can judge your military against theirs.
Old May 24, 2002, 07:05   #15
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
But are there more exact ways during the game to know when your army is big enough to kill one's another! Does it get less vague then, "compared to these guys, we've got an avarege army
Yes: "compared to these guys, we've got a strong army".

When you see that one, it is time to crush them!
Allthough on higher levels it is better to provoke the AI, then to just declare war....

Because War Weariness can bring your economy to a full stop...
Old May 24, 2002, 07:06   #16
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Don't trust that comparison at all - it only compares numbers of units IIRC, including settlers and workers.

When you get spies in the enemy nation, then you can judge your military against theirs.
True, but usually the AI doesn't upgrade, so if you have more units, you are really much better!
Old May 24, 2002, 07:08   #17
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Until recent times (20th century and beyond) artillery was fairly unimportant. Cannonballs didn't explode, so the only damage they did was when they hit men as they flew across the landscape. Artillery is credited with less than 15 percent of all casualties in most cases (and consider the cost spent on artillery compared with regular infantrymen), which is very low. In some battles after 1810, Napoleon had as few as 50 guns at his command, while the Russians and others would have maybe 500 or more. That didn't stop Napoleon from crushing his opponents more often than not. Artillery was mainly used to demoralize enemy troops than anything else. Until explosive munitions were developed, artillery was only a support factor to other arms.
Well, the cannon was good against walls! I don't see that effect back in civ3....
Old May 24, 2002, 07:10   #18
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

O.K. but maybe I,ve got like 50 workers more, and he has got a much more advanced army. I still can't see whether that's true or not.

P.S. how can I see what's happening within other civs capitols?
Old May 24, 2002, 07:15   #19
campmajor!
Prince

You need a spy to view actual troops, but you can also use your embassy to spy on them. But it is expensive AND risky! If you get caught, you are the ****...
Old May 24, 2002, 07:17   #20
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
You need a spy to view actual troops, but you can also use your embassy to spy on them. But it is expensive AND risky! If you get caught, you are the ****...
You've got a real problem if your name is Richard...
Old May 24, 2002, 08:56   #21
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

I do not understand this...are you quoting yourself

you sound a bit schitzofrenic
Old May 24, 2002, 16:42   #22
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
Well, the cannon was good against walls! I don't see that effect back in civ3....
Yes, this is Civ III. That means warfare is limited to attack VS defense values for each seperate unit. What do you think this is anyways? EU2? Preposterous!
Old May 27, 2002, 06:39   #23
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
I do not understand this...are you quoting yourself

you sound a bit schitzofrenic
I was referring to the "Censuur"...
Old May 27, 2002, 06:41   #24
campmajor!
Prince

I mean if your name is Richard, you are probably called D!ck, instead of ****.
Old May 27, 2002, 06:42   #25
campmajor!
Prince

Oh well, **** ****!
Old May 27, 2002, 07:16   #26
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

Point well taken, you ***** ****** ***** ******, and your *** can **** **** ***** me ( )
Old May 27, 2002, 07:18   #27
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

Thought about it, still acnnot work out the richard-bit, please explain
Old May 27, 2002, 08:01   #28
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 17:10
I just sent you a PM. Hopefully the censor bot will not fill it full of *******************************************

otherwise it won't make much sense.
Old May 27, 2002, 08:17   #29
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

Ah, yes... read your PM. Make sense now.

I'm sorry, I am only familiar with the Dutch East-side slang.

Will be paying more attention in the future, thanks
Old May 27, 2002, 14:56   #30
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:10
Re: Warlord-AI is a *****
Quote:

I haven't really tried monarch or higher yet, because I think I need some more experience with the Civ3 basics, but I'm thinking of giving it a try. Are there big diferences here concerning my question?
hi ,

try to set the default level in the editor for the AI at deity , ....

that really make one go "zap" , .....

have a nice day