Old May 23, 2002, 17:23   #1
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 20:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
NEW Storywriter's Union Thread
***NOTE*** You do not have to be a member of the Union to write or submit a story to the story contest, this union is in no way related to the story contest. The only contest this thread is affiliated with is the SUNES, or Storywriter's Union NES, where participants or union members are the only ones allowed to vote for awards.

This is the New thread, please sticky it Ming or MarkG. This will have information pertaining to the Union and the Union only, (the other one got unstickyed, and went bye bye) This will be updated once a week, to post here, you must meet one or more of the following criteria:

1. Have written a story and wish for membership (no exclusions at the moment)
2. Be in the Union and propose a rule, or ammendment to the Member Role.
3. Be Metaliturtle, cbraund, WTE_Ozwolf, or Civman2000, announcing a contest or storywriter's union event ((name an alternate thread))
4. Have a request other than membership for the Storywriter's Union, (like exclusion for inappropriate behavior, (spamming etc.))
5. All writers, (not just union members) may request to have their stories critiqued on this thread, and can also ask basic writing questions.

Member Roll

Officers:
Metaliturtle-founder
Civman2000-cofounder
cbraund-cofounder
WTE_Ozwolf-cofounder

Members:

Absolut_Zero
Blue
The Bloody Baro
cutlerd
GeneralTacticus
Grundel
High Lord J
Jaguar Warrior
Rotten 999
Sheep
SKILORD
Sovy Kurosei
trickey

Last edited by Metaliturtle; July 9, 2002 at 11:29.
Old May 23, 2002, 17:28   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
I am opposed to the idea of excluding people from the thread because they don't want to join.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 23, 2002, 17:31   #3
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

I'm trying to keep it small Civman, obviously if people wish to post here, I can't stop them
Old May 23, 2002, 18:17   #4
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Eh? Yay! I'm a member
Old May 23, 2002, 21:00   #5
Metaliturtle
staff
King

no. 5 is newly added, and probably the most important one, this satisfy you civman?
Old May 23, 2002, 22:37   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old May 24, 2002, 00:04   #7
cutlerd
Warlord

Local Time: 01:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I would like to apply for membership. My story is posted as "America the Brutal" in the Civ3 stories section.

Thanks,

Devin
Old May 24, 2002, 01:22   #8
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Excellent Cutlerd
Old May 24, 2002, 20:17   #9
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

welcome!
Old May 25, 2002, 19:31   #10
SKILORD
King

I wonder... could SNESA2 players be recognised for rewards as well?
Old May 25, 2002, 19:37   #11
SKILORD
King

also my first attempt to be funny.... They Called it Fatherland i don't think i did too well with humor and will probably go back to what i was writing, (ie Persia and her neighbors,Russian Rise which were appreciated much more)

Last edited by SKILORD; May 25, 2002 at 19:43.
Old May 26, 2002, 05:52   #12
Blue
Settler

would like to apply for membership- my story is posted as ALL THE QUEENS MEN

CHEERS

blue
Old May 27, 2002, 17:11   #13
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Welcome Blue!
Old May 27, 2002, 23:26   #14
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 21:11
I request membership, as I have now written four sections of a story.
Old May 28, 2002, 00:34   #15
The Eliminator
Warlord

Unions protect the lazy.
Old May 28, 2002, 02:10   #16
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Eliminator, that type of conduct is frowned upon here, you can trash me all you want, but not in this thread, start up a thread called "Why Metaliturtle sux," I'll laugh, just don't ruin everybody's fun by spamming up a thread.
As for Unions protecting the lazy, I disagree wholeheartedly, the Union is only here so that the writers of this forum have a place where they may critique and be critiqued in the hopes of improving their writing ability, and adding more realism to the game Civilization III. If you cannot respect this, then please go somewhere else. I wish I had the power to ban you, but unfortunately, for non-moderators like myself, I am forced to deal with the fact that you are hiding behind the annonymity of the internet to make a thing which is a highlight to many peoples' lives, a source of anger and disappointment. You are lower than crap now in my opinion, and until you write a decent story, this will be the last time I acknowledge one of your derogatory statements.

P.S. Welcome Jaguar Warrior to the Union!!!
Old May 28, 2002, 12:39   #17
SKILORD
King

i have asked to have a story critiqued btw: look at my post.

the way this is working eliminator might be right :P
Old May 28, 2002, 16:45   #18
Metaliturtle
staff
King

SKILORD, as far as your NES is concerned, I don't have time for 2, I'd prefer to just do the SUNES, but if you can get Civman CB or ozwolf to head it up, they can get rewards. I don't know why your story wasn't critiqued by someone (I was gone for 2 days) I'll try to check it out tonight.
Old May 28, 2002, 21:33   #19
The Eliminator
Warlord

I love how a newbie who writes lousy stories complains about my comments!

Anyways, an idea for a "union" makes people like that guy feel superior to people who really have good things to write. Apolyton has always been an open forum, and the stories one has always been the most entertaining. Unfortunately since this talk of union started with that guy's arrival, the storytelling has gone way down hill. Rotten's stories are a complete breath of fresh air, as are a few others out there.

I think all of you guys who think the union is a good idea should take the time, and look back on the story postings from 3 or 4 months ago. Most of those people don't seem to post anymore, but their stories were top notch. There was no talk of union, just a bunch of guys who were writing and reading stories for pure enjoyment. There were no commands of "critique" under the guise of helping, while really just giving grammatically impared "union members" (Metaliturtle) a chance to belittle decent stories.

Infact, if you check back, you'll see that stories in his vain were pretty much completely ignored!

I truely hope that most of the writers out there shun this union idea. I mean, in all honesty, what right does one poster (who probably won't be around in a few months) have to dictate who can post stories, who can comment on them, and who should be up for contests, etc.?

On a personal level, I don't know where Metaliturtle gets this stuff from. I told you point blank a while ago that it was nothing personal, but your stories are awful. Like I said, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but they are, and I'm sure a good portion of the story board folk will agree with me - silently. It honestly doesn't matter who critiques you, or who offers suggestions, because your stories do not change! They are all about b*tches and s*it, and I for one think that immature, unimaginitive crap belongs on an underpaid overtired grade 9 teacher's "in box."

I'm not going to speak for him, but I think its pretty obvious that civman just quietly tolerates you here. But I beg of you, please put me on your ignore list.

People, please, for the sake of storywriting integrity, do not support this union!
Old May 28, 2002, 21:47   #20
Metaliturtle
staff
King

I am sorry you do not enjoy my unique brand of humor Eliminator, and I am proud that you show so much concern for my improvement in writing, personally, I believe that if you don't like my stories, you do not have to read them, please end the thrashing.

You also attack the Union, saying that it dictates who can post, who can comment, and who should be up for contests. These are all blatant lies, the story contests are run independently by Civman, as always, people have been free to post, and the union has no power over what they say, and as for who should be up for contests, anybody in the forum may nominate or second a story, go try it. Currently the only Contest the Union is presiding over, is the Storywriter's Union Never Ending Story, where the limitation will be for union members and NES members only to provide a more accurate vote.

As for my grammar, I have never claimed to be a master of the English language and its many intricacies, and as for the b*tches and S*it, my early attempts at more serious stories got ignored, and that is the result, if you read Revolution born Domination, you may see that not all of my writing is the same.

I would love to debate this further when you get your facts straight
Old May 28, 2002, 22:07   #21
civman2000
Emperor

I agree with both of you . If it were as you said, Eliminator, I would 100% agree with you, adn even as it is now I 28% agree with you. You are also right, IMHO, about Metaliturtle's stories (for the most part, CGW and Bad Neighbors might be exceptions). However, Metaliturtle is right that you do have some of your facts wrong.

Old May 28, 2002, 23:38   #22
The Eliminator
Warlord

Civman, my biggest concern is that some people who are new to the forums, or some who have an idea or two for a story do not post them because they are intimidated by the union talk. I wrote my previous post somewhat through the eyes of an "outsider" - they don't know that you don't have to be in a union to post, especially after reading the intro post to this thread.

I'm not attacking your union either Metaliturtle, I mean, if some of you want to form a loose band, like the Communist Party of Apolyton, then by all means, knock yourself out. However, to come out and say that this is the union and this is the way it's gonna be, you WILL (and probably have) alienated some really talented writers from bothering. At least 50% of the people floating around here posting are relatively new to the forums, and there is almost always at least 100% more guests than members on this board.

The storywriters union will dissuade and discourage people from joining in. I just hate to see a bad apple (or idea) spoil the bunch.
Old May 29, 2002, 02:17   #23
Metaliturtle
staff
King

See the edit Eliminator, I trust the subject is closed now
Old May 29, 2002, 09:06   #24
civman2000
Emperor

I agree with the eliminator now. That little note does not help. I just think that if we have a union, we should have a topped welcome thread as well to tell newbies about how everything works.

Old May 29, 2002, 16:38   #25
Metaliturtle
staff
King

I'm down with that civman, set it up
Old June 1, 2002, 10:26   #26
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Alright, it looks like the SUNES is drawing to a close, next I want to do one along the lines of Skilord's first NES on Apolyton, (the one that made me a prince, I love that NES so much.) I'll set up the rules once award voting is done, Skilord or Civman, if you could run the maps, (I dunno how to) I would appreciate it.
Old June 1, 2002, 10:38   #27
civman2000
Emperor

I can...but it depends on what the civs are and what they control...if it's based on real borders of today get SKILORD to at least make the initial one, he has that map of the world with borders, I have it almost empty by editing the SNESA map.

Old June 1, 2002, 14:10   #28
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Alright, SKILORD, can you do it?
Old June 2, 2002, 15:23   #29
SKILORD
King

uhhh.... sure I'd be honored to.

I need some idea of what civs there are tho.
Old June 2, 2002, 15:25   #30
Metaliturtle
staff
King

I'll pm you when I come up with 'em Skilord