Old May 24, 2002, 11:49   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 03:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Easy-to-add idea to PtW (or patch)
I just got an idea which properly (I guess) will be easy to add in the add-on or even a patch!

Whenever you take an enemy city, the city keeps it's name, but would it be a good idea to have an quick rename funktion:

You take over a city, you're choosing to keep the city and then a "rename the city" box pops up, where there's written the next city name for your civ (Like when your build a new city), but you can still simply edit the name to what you would like the city to be called!

Of course this requires another simpel funktion to be there: Whenever that city is taken back by the enemy he/she automaticly gets the old city name back

This should of course be optional.

What do you think about it?
Old May 24, 2002, 12:03   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 20:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
well personally i think the idea is useless, because you can always rename the city whenever you want. it would just be useless code and a wast f time for people who dont want to use it.

sure, it could be an option, but i dont see a reason why.
Old May 24, 2002, 12:16   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Sure you can always rename the city, but I don't want to look around the editor to find the next name of a city I haven't used yet! I don't just want some names I just came up with myself!!! And to have a chineese city called Washington is just annoying!
Old May 24, 2002, 12:21   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Sure you can always rename the city, but I don't want to look around the editor to find the next name of a city I haven't used yet! I don't just want some names I just came up with myself!!! And to have a chineese city called Washington is just annoying!
oh, i thought you were goign to name it yourself, like something along the lines of Constantiople -> Istanbul. what exactly would you have it do then? if you were america and you conquered a chinesecity, what exactly would you want the game to suggest for you?
Old May 24, 2002, 12:36   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

If I were e.g. America and took some other city it should name the city the same name as the next "new city" name on the list. Like if I had only one city (Washington) and took a city, it would name the city New York (The next city on the city name list)!

In case you're not sure which list I'm talking about, it's this list (From the editor):

Washington
New York
Boston
Philadelphia
Atlanta
etc.
Old May 24, 2002, 14:04   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I wouldn't like it.
I rename cities only when all their inhabitants have been assimilated, and not before. In big conquests, when I take 5-6 cities a turn, I think closing this perpetual popup would really annoy me.
Just my opinion though.
Old May 24, 2002, 14:16   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I wouldn't like it.
I rename cities only when all their inhabitants have been assimilated, and not before. In big conquests, when I take 5-6 cities a turn, I think closing this perpetual popup would really annoy me.
Just my opinion though.
Well..If it's just for the annoyance of a popup, it could be done automaticly! So there wont be any more popups than it is now!
Old May 24, 2002, 22:15   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Well..If it's just for the annoyance of a popup, it could be done automaticly! So there wont be any more popups than it is now!
I would not support that, because what if I wanted to keep the name? Then say I'm Russians and I take over Atlanta, I don't want it to suddenly say "St. Petersburg." without even consulting me. I'd prefer just to rename it myself.

To me, this idea would be just a waste of code, and a heavy annoyance.
Old May 24, 2002, 22:39   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:13
And what if you already have 100 cities or more. "New New New New York"
Old May 24, 2002, 22:41   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:13
ADG has a fair idea. Some people would really like it.

Nobody would be p'oed if the 'Auto-Rename' function could be turned off, or was off by default.
Old May 24, 2002, 23:17   #11
Switch
Prince

I think it's a good idea, especially with the option to turn it off.

Myself, however, I like to keep cities as their original name (except in SMAc when I'm fighting the Believers, stupid war-monger hypocrits! )
Old May 25, 2002, 05:03   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Nobody would be p'oed if the 'Auto-Rename' function could be turned off, or was off by default.
Exactly.

People who prefer it the old way they can still play it the old way without having to do anything more than they used to!

And as I said before, I don't think it would take long time to make, so it wouldn't be much of a waste adding it...But of course I'm not a programmer!
Old May 25, 2002, 11:09   #13
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 19:13
It could be part of the keep city or raze it screen as another option:

Keep City
Keep City But Rename
Raze City
Old May 25, 2002, 12:32   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Good idea
Old May 26, 2002, 10:49   #15
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 21:43
Sounds like a good idea, a lot better than trying to come up with your own Aztec name
However, I like keeping the old names. That way you can see the history of your civ by seeing the Roman, Persian, French, etc cities you conquored or assimilated in the past.
Old May 26, 2002, 11:16   #16
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
Sounds like a good idea, a lot better than trying to come up with your own Aztec name
However, I like keeping the old names. That way you can see the history of your civ by seeing the Roman, Persian, French, etc cities you conquored or assimilated in the past.
Another good reason for keeping the original name:
You can follow somehow the fights between other civs better, because you can immediatly see if a city changes color. You might not notice it, if they changed color AND name. That works even if you don't have an embassy.