MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Jeff Morris on Gamespy
http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/civ3interview/

Quote:
GameSpy: Tell us about Regicide and CTF. I mean, how does CTF work in a game like Civilization?

Jeff Morris: Well, it's not necessarily a flag. It could be a relic or an artifact. You've got to get it from their city and take it to your own. Regicide puts that Civ's leader in one of their towns. If you take the town, you take the leader out and win the game.
Quote:
Like, now you can order a cannon or bomber to auto-bombard a square or city. You can do that with a stack of units, effectively ordering a stack of bombers to keep attacking the same square every turn.
Quote:
In play-by-email we've included player passwords and admin passwords. If someone quits halfway through a long game, the admin can replace them with an AI or another player. Then there's the "meta-games."

GameSpy: What are the meta-games?

Jeff Morris: Things like Regicide and Capture the Flag. We've also let players set victory conditions so you can win a game by capturing a single enemy city -- first one to lose a city loses the game! Or maybe a culture victory or something like that. We've even added Victory Points to the game as an option.
Quote:
GameSpy: So are you adding scenarios to the expansion?
Jeff Morris: Absolutely. We've got 10 multiplayer scenarios…
Quote:
GameSpy: Many fans, myself included, clamored for a World Map with Historical Start Locations for Civs. Will that be included?

Jeff Morris: No, that will be offered free in the update in June -- the one with the scenario editor. We want to make sure the tools are out there long enough that when Play the World comes out -- all this content will be there already. But that map, the scenario editor, and the content won't require the expansion pack.
Old May 24, 2002, 17:17   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Elimination sounds cool. Very fast paced action !
I think a part of the contest will be to choose the Persians or the Iroquois before the others, on the setup screen

Edit : And really, having a free scenario editor, in less than a month... How could I be even more joyful ???? Firaxis, thanks ! Everything is forgiven now (not that I had much to complein about)

Last edited by Spiffor; May 24, 2002 at 17:26.
Old May 24, 2002, 18:55   #3
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Well, this surely looks good!
And if they have 10 scenarios only for MP! Just think how many it must be if we count the single player that will come too!(I guess we'll get those too, right? )
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 24, 2002, 19:18   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Very cool. I wonder if the editor is going to come with some other 'patches'.
Old May 24, 2002, 19:36   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:15
Wow... Kudos to Firaxis for this.

But then I guess how big that update will be... You know, my connection is still on the Ancient Age...
Old May 24, 2002, 20:29   #6
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 20:15
Quote:
GameSpy: Many fans, myself included, clamored for a World Map with Historical Start Locations for Civs. Will that be included?

Jeff Morris: No, that will be offered free in the update in June -- the one with the scenario editor. We want to make sure the tools are out there long enough that when Play the World comes out -- all this content will be there already. But that map, the scenario editor, and the content won't require the expansion pack.

Mmm, so... they are making us their beta testers again?
Old May 24, 2002, 20:35   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:15
Free editor. Well, that answers my question. Hehe, cool.

I want to see a cool Rome scenario now.
Old May 24, 2002, 22:38   #8
TechWins
King

Local Time: 18:15
This is really really awesome sounding.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old May 24, 2002, 23:12   #9
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
Yeah, but this time for free!

Thank you Firaxis, for historical start positions. That is all I wanted, plus SP scenarios like in SMAC, though Marla's map was also really good.
Old May 24, 2002, 23:41   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchMoO

Yeah, but this time for free!

Thank you Firaxis, for historical start positions. That is all I wanted, plus SP scenarios like in SMAC, though Marla's map was also really good.
I don't really mean it that way. I mean that, if PtW is coming out in Nov/Dec, and having us beta test their new editor, what's with the wait then. Shouldn't THEY test the damn thing. I won't download it.... the one I have already crashes enough.
Old May 25, 2002, 00:06   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

i do see a lot of people eating their words and come back to this place , oh yeah and the game aswell offcourse
Old May 25, 2002, 01:21   #12
DarthVeda
Emperor

I doubt I'll be eating my words anytime soon. From what it sounds like they're not going to be shipping any single player scenarios of interest with the game (only those which will fit in the closeminded engine with a modified start).

As for the use of the word scenario, I think Firaxis is being pretty liberal according to their own discriptions. The MP "scenarios" sound like nothing more than maps with modified start positions.

Quote:
GameSpy: Are you going to ship a scenario editor with the expansion?

Jeff Morris: We're shipping it separately as a free download, but scenarios really figure into multiplayer. If you start a multiplayer game on a random map and you start adjacent to iron and someone else doesn't, the advantage you're going to have is going to ruin the game. The scenarios let us go in there and say "everyone gets six grasslands, all irrigated and with roads."
As you can see, the "scenario" is apparently just an accelerated startup. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it doesn't look like you have the option of a random map game...

Last edited by DarthVeda; May 25, 2002 at 01:27.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:35   #13
DarthVeda
Emperor

Also this is extremely disconcerting:

Quote:

GameSpy: What about single-player? Civ 2 shipped with…

Jeff Morris: Yeah, the problem with that is the modified tech tree, artwork and how it heavily modifies the game. Turns in a WWII scenario don't really work if one turn represents a year. Rather than take that upon ourselves, we're letting the people who really love the history of the eras do it. We're giving them the tools to do it.
So the message I'm getting from Firaxis here is:

We'll give them the capability to create scenarios if they want, but because of the physical limitations of the engine, we've decided that we don't want to put our name on any scenarios at this time.

I say:

Hey look, I just took Berlin in my ww2 scenario with my Modern Armors and B-2's. So who cares if it's 2184 and the Russians were sending a ship to Alpha Centauri?

*holds a small party as the scenario capabilities of Civ3 have just reached the beta Civ2 stage*
Old May 25, 2002, 01:35   #14
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Well, they said they were making 10 scenarios... maybe it's just me, but I doubt they mean 10 custom setups...
Old May 25, 2002, 01:37   #15
DarthVeda
Emperor

I wouldn't think it beyond them. It's also worth noting that it seems not one single player scenario is going to ship with the expansion pack.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:41   #16
Jon Shafer

Cut them some slack. At least a little, they're trying to help us out, which is much more than most companies do. They're releasing more patches than about the first 10 games you'll find out there combined. That and their patches are doing much more than any others. That and they're releasing a much more powerful editor, which, frankly, they really don't have to. Call it a marketing ploy, the fact remains that people who want to make custom scenarios can without getting the XP.
Old May 25, 2002, 01:55   #17
DarthVeda
Emperor

By scenarios, I assume you mean "accelerated startup maps."

They don't deserve any slack in my book. Their marketing strategy has been nothing but insidious and underhanded, their product shoddy, and their promises surprisingly empty.

And what of all these patches? Well you can't very well sell an expansion if you loose your entire market base, now can you?

"Whenever you exploit someone, it never hurts to thank them. That way, it's easier to exploit them the next time."
Old May 25, 2002, 02:01   #18
Jon Shafer

The fact is, that they'll get an incredible amount of sales whether the hardcore fans are in love with their product or not. The fact that they're trying to improve upon their product beyond the point where it matters (in current sales) counts for something in my book. Do you really think them releasing patches for 8 months makes up for the sales they'll gain due to that from the XP? I suppose it's a possibility, but I doubt it. If you find the capitalistic world so corrupt, then you can scream at them all you want, but, if they're as bad as you say they are, they won't care anyways.
Old May 25, 2002, 05:15   #19
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
some attitudes just never change...
Old May 25, 2002, 10:01   #20
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:15
Quote:
some attitudes just never change...
Like the earth goes round the sun. There's a stick-in-the-mud theory...

The free scenario editor sounds good though, beta or not. Regicide and capture-the-flag sound like they're jumping on the AoK bandwagon, but might be fun I suppose. Fun enough that someone made a "chess" mod for CtP.
Old May 25, 2002, 10:16   #21
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

A chess mod?

About regicide and capture the flag: if Firaxis would give the fans a scripting language, they could add that themselves...
Old May 25, 2002, 10:52   #22
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I think that Firaxis is ahead of the curve (but not perfect) in learning to deal with the new paradigm of gaming... a free-wheeling interplay of releases, patches, forums, chats, mods, scenarios, etc. This while being required to meet the paramount demands of being associated with a much larger public company.

Well done.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 25, 2002, 11:33   #23
JtheJackal
Warlord

They gives us what we want and people still complain. Tsk Tsk.
Old May 25, 2002, 13:35   #24
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

It looks like the game is approaching what it should have been when it first came out.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 25, 2002, 15:24   #25
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
It looks like the game is approaching what it should have been when it first came out.
hi ,

nope , its even going to go further , ......

have a nice day
Old May 25, 2002, 15:27   #26
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

hi ,

so what , .....its because the players keep asking and asking , .....

at least they give us something , ....other company's would not even think about it , ......

have a nice day
Old May 25, 2002, 20:23   #27
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 02:15
A scenario editor for MP only? Pray not.
Old May 25, 2002, 22:57   #28
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

nope

scenario editor is coming out in june, months before MP does

it will be downloadable

probably a copy will come with PtW

so if you don't download it get it there

Jon Miller
Old May 26, 2002, 02:00   #29
Mikhail
Chieftain

I could really care less about what scenarios firaxis includes. Fan-made ones are invariably better.

Any world map they make will probably be poor when compared to Marla or KittenofChaos's (kitten's is better, btw. accurate resource placement)

Besides. I'd say 80% of everyone will buy the Expansion first and foremost for the civs. If I really cared about multiplayer, I wouldn't be a civ fan.
Old May 26, 2002, 09:32   #30
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Finally! A good PBEM system! I can't wait!