Old May 26, 2002, 12:21   #31
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikhail
I could really care less about what scenarios firaxis includes. Fan-made ones are invariably better.

Any world map they make will probably be poor when compared to Marla or KittenofChaos's (kitten's is better, btw. accurate resource placement)

Besides. I'd say 80% of everyone will buy the Expansion first and foremost for the civs. If I really cared about multiplayer, I wouldn't be a civ fan.
hi ,

ahem , the ones you talke about are far from perfect , ........
in order for the fans to create them now , they would have to stop on the development , ......

so its better for now that they put them in , .....

but who knows , what has the future coming for us , ........

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2002, 13:53   #32
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
A chess mod?
Yup. Got like bugger all publicity, the name I have by it is Kris Maes, (edit: Maestro on the forums). He didn't upload it anywhere I think, but made it available by email. Basically, you get a king (a super-diplomat) but if he dies, you lose. Simple.
I can't find the thread in question, but I found a hint to it in a thread about the GameOver function...

Quote:
About regicide and capture the flag: if Firaxis would give the fans a scripting language, they could add that themselves...
Stop teasing. We don't need to add it, they made it for us.

Mummy, can you feed me now, I can't do it on my own...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip chess.zip (32.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Immortal Wombat; May 26, 2002 at 14:08.
Old May 26, 2002, 21:18   #33
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 01:15
Well, it seems like the "Usual Supsects" are back and all they can do is complain! Truly, they are beginning to sound like broken records, because it's just the same complaints repeated over and over again! No wonder they get to King and Emporer.
I must say that the Firaxis guys show a great amount of restraint by not simply telling this small bunch of VERY vocal whiners where to get off!
Yes, they probably should have released Civ3 WITH MP, and possibly even with a robust editor! But if any of you were listening, you'd realise that this was not a Firaxis decision, but an Infogrames marketing decision (i.e: we want the game out BEFORE Christmas!)
Be thankful that the Firaxis team are so responsive to our concerns that they have put out THREE patches in the space of only a few months!
So guys, unless you have something constructive to say, best you NOT say anything at all!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.

P.S: Just my $0.02c worth, sorry to clutter up this otherwise excellent thread!
Old May 26, 2002, 22:13   #34
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Well, it seems like the "Usual Supsects" are back and all they can do is complain! Truly, they are beginning to sound like broken records, because it's just the same complaints repeated over and over again! No wonder they get to King and Emporer.
I must say that the Firaxis guys show a great amount of restraint by not simply telling this small bunch of VERY vocal whiners where to get off!
Yes, they probably should have released Civ3 WITH MP, and possibly even with a robust editor! But if any of you were listening, you'd realise that this was not a Firaxis decision, but an Infogrames marketing decision (i.e: we want the game out BEFORE Christmas!)
Be thankful that the Firaxis team are so responsive to our concerns that they have put out THREE patches in the space of only a few months!
So guys, unless you have something constructive to say, best you NOT say anything at all!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.

P.S: Just my $0.02c worth, sorry to clutter up this otherwise excellent thread!
hi ,

dont worry , one of the founder's of firaxis , Sid , has a new idea , ...all the negative person's get a look only edition , the others a full version , .........

most people are frustrated with the way the local infogrames people , in every country they are different , and unfortunatly sometimes they are sub-contracted , ........
however since a lot of people started to write complaints , they start to fix them now , infogrames that is , since some stock-holders wanted aswers , they really started to do something about it , ............
some people complain because of a real problem , one's the problem is fixed they are happy , ......
others complain because they have nothing else to do , .....
as far as we are concerned , firaxis should get a 100 on a 100 , ...why , well , they have created a huge revolution , not only in the way games are build , the AI and numerous other examples , its a given fact that what Sid did ones again is a landslide in the industry , .........

as for the rest , .....Jeff , care to comment , .........

have a nice day , oh yeah , think positive
Old May 27, 2002, 06:23   #35
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:15
That's all good, I feel satisfied. Not that the new MP modes seem too exciting to mee now, I'd prefer to keep the "standard" MP experience, but what the.... maybe I'll like them. Also, as the PBEM Admin, I am very happy to see that the passwords are there . Hope they make it tough to cheat, unlike CtP.

In some three weeks or so we'll probably have a huge update pack - I want to add some stuff.

Great job guys!
Old May 28, 2002, 12:34   #36
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 01:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
That's all good, I feel satisfied. Not that the new MP modes seem too exciting to mee now, I'd prefer to keep the "standard" MP experience, but what the.... maybe I'll like them.
The main idea is that some people won't enjoy the single player experience in multiplayer (a la 16+ hour games), primarily because organizing multiple play sessions with people you don't personally know is almost impossible. The short game modes, especially in conjunction with accelerated start scenarios, will allow players to finish games in an hour or two. LAN gamers have been OK with previous MP modes, since they're playing with family or co-workers or such. Internet gaming however is mostly between strangers, who may not have a grip on what's involved in a 4000bc to space race victory game. We wanted to provide options for both types of players.

Jeff
Old May 28, 2002, 18:33   #37
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Your thinking is sound. 4x games have been waiting for this sort of thing for a long time. We all hope you succeed in delivering it.
Old May 29, 2002, 01:09   #38
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 13:15
With some of these ideas (play a game in a lunch hour) it sounds like they're trying to beat Rise of Nations to the punch.
Old May 29, 2002, 09:14   #39
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS

The main idea is that some people won't enjoy the single player experience in multiplayer (a la 16+ hour games), primarily because organizing multiple play sessions with people you don't personally know is almost impossible. The short game modes, especially in conjunction with accelerated start scenarios, will allow players to finish games in an hour or two. LAN gamers have been OK with previous MP modes, since they're playing with family or co-workers or such. Internet gaming however is mostly between strangers, who may not have a grip on what's involved in a 4000bc to space race victory game. We wanted to provide options for both types of players.

Jeff
hi ,

would that become part of the editor , ..........

there are people who would love to play for day's , hence some for weeks , .....
please put more years in it , ........and one should have the option to set years , lets say , between 1800 and 2050 Ad , every turn should count as a year , ...........

have a nice day , and thanks in advance

the beer is cold , .........
Old May 30, 2002, 23:53   #40
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 17:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
When our those stupid idiots at Faraxeis going to give us a igloo tech, so we can build cities in tundra

And those jerks took away cheat mode I loved elimating the other civs in 4000bc Now thats kicking cat

pullution sucks and i had to pay for this game everything should be free!!!! you horrible people should work for twinkies and have to barter for other aminites like at Grateful Dead concerts.

I hope you fill your goldfish bowl up with too much water so your pet goldfish will jump out and committ suicide

I have paid almost nothing for this game. $/hours this is one of the best values in the entire entertainment industry.
Old May 31, 2002, 03:21   #41
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 21:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JtheJackal
They gives us what we want and people still complain. Tsk Tsk.
What we want? Ha! They are far from it!
Old June 8, 2002, 06:37   #42
Mikel
Warlord

It is obviously impossible for Firaxis to make Civ what we want as a quick scan through these forums will show that there are a multitude of conflicting ideas. Builders, warmongers, history fanatics, chronociders.

If you want to know why there are so many whiners on this forum look back at the Civ 3 wishlist. People put a lot of personal time into this game and a huge amount of thought. This game to a lot of people is a bit like a sports team. You will still go to the game after the star player has gone to another side and every week is another defeat, but what you don't do is sit quietly in the stand. You make your disappointment known and hope things will turnaround.

Civ 3 is good now that all the bugs are fixed (unfortunately an industry trait rather than a Firaxis ploy). It looks like they plan to make some radical gameplay changes in the expansion which I hope everyone is looking forward to, because the real issue with Civ 3 is the thought " Well this is good but if only I could do this......". As I said it's not possible for everyone to be pleased by the new features, and I certainly won't be preordering it, but let's just see what they produce and then cheer or jeer.
Troll "Thats the thing with randomness, you can never be sure."

Last edited by Mikel; June 8, 2002 at 07:03.