Old May 28, 2002, 06:14   #61
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 18:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm not done yet. I'll just take a quick browse thru my windows media player library. I'll leave out popular bands like metallica etc. except in special cases like this one

AC/DC: hey I think everyone should give them a try. Sure they are simplistic and old sounding. But that's the charm of them. Try out For those about to rock... we salute you. Most of their best songs were from the Bon Scott era. Although the new singer had 2 notable albums with Back in Black and Razor's Edge. Also try let there be rock, dirty deeds done dirt cheap, whole lotta rosie, TNT, sin city, the jack

Antrhax: they are hit and miss. They have good ones and bad ones. Try Indians, Caught in a mosh, I am the law, and among the living for starters. If you like their rap humourous stuff go for I'm the man, and I'm the man '91 version.

Apocalyptica: try out Path (the one without the horrible singing ). there are 2 versions of this song out there.

B-52's: rock lobster. It's a pop song, but I love it. It's a must have song

Beastie Boys- I'm going to get flamed for this one. Try out Paul Revere for starters

Black Sabbath- too many to choose from. From the ronnie james dio era Heavan and Hell is the only notable one. There are many songs from the ozzy era. The entire first self titled album and paranoid should be startes. Include others such as sabbath bloody sabbath, sweat leaf etc.

Blue Oyster Cult- classic rock- of a slightly different variety- try godzilla and don't fear the reaper

Bob Marley- smoke 2 joints- a must have song

Body Count- someone mentioned ealier- the first 2 albums are gems. The winner loses, kkk *****, cop killer, lobotomy, the killing floor, and a few others.

Candlebox- only 2 songs really worth mentioning. far behind and you

celtic frost- mentioned ealier- in the chapel in the moonlight, mexican radio, tristesses de la lune, mesmerized, procreation of the wicked, dethroned emperor, suicidal winds, into crypts of rays, morbid tales, I won't dance

Coal Chamber- loco, sway

cradle of filth- 2 songs above hell awaits, hallowed be thy name, the principle of evil made flesk, dusk and her embrace

cranberries- dreams and zombie- yeah only 2 songs but I like em

cream- classic rock. They helped form the heavier sound that emerged. crossroads and white room are 2 gems.

credence clearwater revival classic rock. southern type sound. very cool classic rock. suzy q, house of the rising sun, run through the jungle, born on the bayou.

cypress hill, hits from the bong, insane in the brain, ain't going out like that , a to the k, rock superstar, trouble, illusions, I love you maryjane, **** the hammer

danzig- many to choose from. dark type heavy metal with a southern touch. he used to be in a punk band called the misfits. Try out five finger crawl, godless, how the gods kill, sistinas, her black wings, can't speak, bringer of death, sadistikal, firemass, blackaciddevil, 7th house, hand of doom

dark angel- worms (weird one), leave scars, an ancient inherited shame, sensory deprivation, time does not heal, cauterization (instrumental), pains invention madness, never to rise again, no one answers, psychosexuality

Death Angel- these guys only had a few worth mentioning. They are speed metal. bunch of brothers or cousins or something. Bored, confused, seemingly endless time, veil of deception, the ultra-violence

Deep Purple- really heavy classic rock. fireball, child in time, highway star, perfect strangers, smoke on the water, my woman from tokyo, hush. strange kind of woman, burn

Dio- heavy metal. former singer of Black Sabbath. Holy Diver, the last in Line, Rainbow in the dark, don't talk to strangers

Drivin 'n cryin' these guys pretty much suck except 2 songs. Fly me courageous and to build a fire. I really like these 2 songs for some reason. They are basic heavy metal fare that had some air play on MTV. They are early 90's.

ELO- classic rock with a classical tinge- fire on high, don't bring me down, turn to stone

Exodus- standard speed metal fare with a few gems. low rider, pleasures of the flesh, toxic waltz, fabulous disaster, thorn in my side, fuel for the fire, architect of pain

Faith No more: different type of alternative metal band. If you are homophobic I wouldn't recommend them. They are more than just Epic. also try we care a lot, surpise your dead, zombie eaters, the real thing, caffeine, be aggressive, jizzlobber (yes you read that right), rochchet, gentle art of making enemies, cuckoo for caca (yes you read that right), ugly in the morning, king for a day, collision

Fleetwood Mac- rumours album is a must have. Yeah its a bit old sounding. But think of it as a blast into the 1970's. There were good things in the 70's. Honest

Helloween- I mentioned the songs above

Jane's addiction

Judas Priest- yeah they are kind of gay too . all that leather Try their old stuff like the ripper and exceter. I also like love bites.

MINISTRY- no one has mentioned them!!!!!!!!!!!!! just one fix, NWO, tv ii, psalm 69, ding dang dong (or whatever the correct title is), thieves, and breathe.

Motorhead- just get ace of spades and maybe orgasmatron. The metallica covers are decent such as stone dead forever

nightwish- elvenpath- dark black metalish stuff.

Overkill- thrash/speed metal- just get skullcrusher.

Prong- I mentioned these gusy above

Queensryche- basic heavy metal fare with intelligent political lyrics. Although their best album was operation:mindcrime. It's a concept album so get the entire thing and listen to in order. Empire the song is decent (although I disagree with the dumg statistics in the song)

rammstein- listed above.

Savatage- Heavy metal. Try Hall of the mountain king, gutter ballet, Sirens, The dungeon are calling, Hounds, Holocaust, of rage and war,

Sepultura- mentioned above

Slayer- kind of a major band- start off with south of heaven, war ensemble, seasons in the abyss, madatory suicide, hell awaits, raining blood, jesus saves, dead skin mask, angel of death, and ependible youth

Slipknot- modern thrash metal with an ungodly amount of band members. Spit it out and wait and bleed are the only ones I have

stabbing westward- 90's grunge style alternative metal stuff . torn, what do I have to do,

Suicidal Tendencies- punk style thrash metal. Mostly 80's music. Institutionalized, waking the dead, How can I laugh tomorrow, send me your money, disco's out- murder's in, emotion #13, you can't bring me down, alone, feel like sh!t- deja vu, fascist pig, I saw your mommy

system of a down- 2 major albums- modern/new thrash metal, jet fighter, chop suey, sugar, spiders, war, bounce, toxicity, and many others

The cult- mentioned above

Tool- every song they have made . genre? who knows. New heavy acid metal would be my guess
Old May 28, 2002, 14:01   #62
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
axi - finalyl we agree on something

Also, I'd recommend the Scorpions to people who never heard about them.

Get their songs with the berliner philharmonik. it's gem

Dissident, it saddenned me that after many bands I discovered you like slayer and slipknot... i'll have to take your other bands with a grain of salt.

slipknot are nu-metal on a sugar overdose...
slayer are mostly way too brutal for me... could you mention the brutality level of each band?
Old May 28, 2002, 15:21   #63
drake
King

Local Time: 21:17
How can you have CCR listed and no "Green River"??? Barefoot girls dancing in the moonlight? Oh yes

I'm gonna second a Dissident suggestion (god help me!) and say Blue Oyster Cult. Reaper and godzilla are good songs, nothing wrong with them, but they are too well known and predictable.

Here's a few good rock tunes from BOC that youve probably never hear on the radio.

Then Came the Last Days of May - mellow and dark
Hot Rails to Hell - Guitar Driven classic
The Red and The Black - Another good guitar jam
Flaming Telepaths - The jokes on you
Astronomy - Classic, mightve heard the Metallica version. This is much better.
Tenderloin - Coke worship, off same album as reaper
Death Valley Nights - Lighter, more mellow rock
Fireworks - Personal fave. Hit or miss. Most would probably think it sucks
I Love The Night - Beautiful song
Burnin for You - Actually hit the charts in the early 80s. Might have heard this one.
Sole Survivor - Weird ****
After Dark - another one of their vamp tunes. I like it alot, you might hate it.
Take Me Away - Great song, mysterious lyrics.
Veins - Just weird. Pure BOC.
Dancin In The Ruins - One of them apocolyptic songs. Good one.
Perfect Water - Don't know what it means but another very smooth sounding tune.
Harvest Moon - one of their newer songs. As good as some of their older tunes.
Live For Me - Written about a brothers dying wish.
Here Comes That Feeling - Off their newest album yet still has a great retro sound.

So if you're in the mood for some dark and weird, but good, rock and roll, give a few of these a try. You might be as strange as some of us and actually like it
Old May 28, 2002, 16:19   #64
Winston
Emperor

I have only one word to say:

Mike Oldfield

I said it very very fast, so it sounded like one word. Honestly.
Old May 28, 2002, 17:01   #65
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

ahh yes scorpions

they are more than rock you like a hurricane. Try holiday, cross fire, he's a woman- she's a man (or did I get that backwords ), no one like you, still loving you, coming home, blackout, winds of change, bad boys running wild, loving you sunday morning, big city nights, coast to coast, can't live without you, the Zoo (one of my favs), can't get enough, animal magnetism.

As for slipknot I really don't like them apart from those 2 songs. I was thinking about getting the album, but when I listened to the other songs on CD now samples, they all sounded the same. So that is why I only recommend 2 songs.

And yes Slayer can be brutal. But mostly their old stuff. The middle albums are best with south of heaven, and season in the abyss. A much slower, yet still heavy sound. Although the lyrics are still brutal . Try out South of Heaven for a slow, heavy sound.

And of those bands I listed many are brutal . Well not really. Only a few are just as brutal as slayer I listed above. Dark Angel is extremely brutal especially in their lyrics. Sepultura (older stuff) is brutal, but they mellowed out a bit. And now they suck with the new singer .

coal chamber pretty much sucks except the 2 songs I listed. They are like slipknow, I only like 2 songs from them.

celtic frost isn't brutal, but they aren't for everyone. At first glance they seem like the worst band in the world. But I like the European thrash metal sound.

danzig- his lyrics are kind of one dimensional. enough of the satan thing . but he's got a dark sound I like. Not really brutal though. They aren't that heavy, just slow and dark

edit: how can I forget BOC astronomy!! Actually Metallica is the main reason I got into BOC
Old May 28, 2002, 18:24   #66
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:17
Fields of the Nephilim- Brilliant British Goth- Dark but instrumental with great lyrics

The Almighty - Scots Hard Rock. First two albums were made when they were kids so not every song is great but when they hit it ..........

Those two are hard to come by, but worth it.

Older bands The Clash, Sex Pistols, and the greatest Rock band ever, Led Zeppelin.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Last edited by SpencerH; May 28, 2002 at 18:32.
Old May 28, 2002, 18:26   #67
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
I have only one word to say:

Mike Oldfield

I said it very very fast, so it sounded like one word. Honestly.
I have the orchestral tubular bells. Its quite different from the original
Old May 28, 2002, 18:45   #68
Winston
Emperor

SpencerH,

You should try to get "The Songs of Distant Earth". It's on sale at most stores ~ USD 10. It's inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's "2001", and is an awesome piece of instrumental music. Do yourself a favour and get it. If you're the slightest bit into M.O., I guarantee you'll like it.
Old May 28, 2002, 19:19   #69
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

what? ixnay hasen't been here promoting The Offspring yet?
I'm amazed...

Myself, I tend to lean towards electronica-- some good ones are the Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk
Old May 28, 2002, 22:02   #70
SpencerH
Emperor

Winston

Thanks for the tip
Old May 29, 2002, 14:13   #71
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 21:17
Bands to try:

Someone who has never played in LA.

Of course, this comment is directed at Americans.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:43   #72
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:17
I can't be assed to read all of your suggestions now, so I'll throw mine in sight unseen.

Local heroes The Wipers. One of the seminal punk-drone bands with some great lyrical stuff...big in Europe at one time, now reduced to front man Greg Sage...check his stuff out too.

Washington state's Screaming Trees...excellent albums from start to finish...now defunct...check out front man's solo stuff (Mark Lanegan) for deep, rich takes on American traditional blues and "country". Now the front man for Queens of the Stone Age, which I haven't heard, but assume is probably pretty good.

One of my all time favorites, The Pixies...had a couple of albums that were almost bad, but their first 4 or 5 kick major tushie...check out front man Frank Black's (or Black Francis at times) stuff with The Catholics.

Hmm....kind of a theme there.

For jazz, any Charles Mingus is a must.
You simply have not lived until you've heard Toots Hibbert (and the Maytals), namely, his album "Funky Kingston". I can say, without reservation, that if there is a Reggae artist that surpasses Marley or Cliff, it is Toots Hibbert. High praise, as I'm a huge reggae fan.
never neglectful, never indulgent.