Old May 27, 2002, 12:11   #31
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
they only have two that we can see. what if washington ahs pikemen behind those city walls? would our crusaders, or even dragoons stand a chance?
Old May 27, 2002, 12:37   #32
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:18
If we're going to be that way why don't we just completely halt our attacks until we get armor (sarcasm)? We have to attack with overwhelming numbers of units; of course the defender has the advantage.
Old May 27, 2002, 15:12   #33
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
2. Build many barracks and then crusaders (and later dragoons). As veterans, they are almost as strong as cavalry. We could conceivably have a sizeable force ready before the AI reaches gunpowder.
But vet units become "green" units after transformation by Leo's Workshop !
Old May 27, 2002, 15:22   #34
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Good campaign, Prez.
For the following, as main cities are walled, let us not waste our brilliant units in front attacks.
As communist, bribing is not a bad thing if it is for a good goal !
The aim may be to conquer Egyptian Capital, by sabotage of the walls with diplomats, then attacking by crusaders and, after conquest, bribing their poor remaining cities.
For Americans, we need more forces, with high attack power (I like progress to cavalry in that situation) .
Old May 27, 2002, 16:19   #35
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Peering (cautiously) into our immediate future, I foresee Diplomats taking out the Walls, Cannons assaulting the cities, followed by a wave of Mounted units (whatever kind we have). If/when we are offered Communism itself, I will go for it to get Spies (they are far more effective than Dips).

I expect we will be reducing defenders with Ironclads, occupying cities with Mounted units, and defending them with Riflemen soon. When we have Cavalry, with Cannons we should be able to take cities at will.

We should make sure to eliminate our enemies one at a time (for now, maybe 2 at a time later) to prevent re-growth. I note that our game rules are that destroyed civs will be re-created, so I would leave one weak city in each civ until we can destroy them all at once later.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 27, 2002, 17:03   #36
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
If we're going to be that way why don't we just completely halt our attacks until we get armor (sarcasm)? We have to attack with overwhelming numbers of units; of course the defender has the advantage.
i just don't see how an effective campaign can be carried out with our current forces or even lots of our current types of units. the defenders strength is too great right now IMO
Old May 27, 2002, 17:10   #37
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

i just don't see how an effective campaign can be carried out with our current forces or even lots of our current types of units. the defenders strength is too great right now IMO
Rest assured that we will not be attacking cities without some good idea of the defense they have. If we can take them at a reasonable cost, we will. If it takes other methods, we will do that. I hate losing units to no purpose.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 27, 2002, 17:16   #38
Kuciwalker
Deity

Reducing enemies with ironclads??!! If we're worrying about crusaders having a hard time of it, doesn't it stand to reason that Ironclads, who have 1 less attack, would be even more likely to die?
Old May 27, 2002, 17:20   #39
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
1. Build hordes of crusaders now, and research our way to cavalry. Leo's Workshop will make our swarm of crusaders (att=5) a swarm of cavalry (att=8). The AI will probably have gunpowder by then, but we will have both strength and numbers.
We could also massproduce twice the amount horsies and upgrade them
Old May 27, 2002, 17:21   #40
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Reducing enemies with ironclads??!! If we're worrying about crusaders having a hard time of it, doesn't it stand to reason that Ironclads, who have 1 less attack, would be even more likely to die?
Ironclads ignore city walls....
Old May 27, 2002, 18:20   #41
Gen. Hancock
Settler

I feel we should not attack them at all. Leave the Americans alone. Negotiate peace with them and make them our Allies. I am sure they will become a strong and very valuable allie. Let us end this bloody conquest of imperialism and focus on trade, the economy, health, life expectancy, and literacy. It is not sufficient that we should be the only civilization in the world.
Old May 27, 2002, 18:25   #42
shade
King

Local Time: 02:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Gen. Hancock
I feel we should not attack them at all. Leave the Americans alone. Negotiate peace with them and make them our Allies. I am sure they will become a strong and very valuable allie. Let us end this bloody conquest of imperialism and focus on trade, the economy, health, life expectancy, and literacy. It is not sufficient that we should be the only civilization in the world.
allies....
sniff...with the AI...and how are we going to do such a thing???

Shade(I really can't remember the last time I had even 1 allie and I play 2.42 not even MGE)
Old May 28, 2002, 04:05   #43
JCP
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by shade
allies...with the AI...and how are we going to do such a thing???
Effectively, with all AI civs continuously uncooperative at least, alliance is largely unreallistic !

Quote:
(I really can't remember the last time I had even 1 allie and I play 2.42 not even MGE)
How play OCC without allies ?
Old May 28, 2002, 04:59   #44
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 01:18
I'm quite a new citizen (been looking at this for a while, but not posted), but maybe I can offer my advice?

You say you're worried about the pikemen that might be in walled cities. Presumably, there would be attack units as well? I propose this..

Several archers (or equivalent) fortify themselves in a square each adjacent to the city. After a few turns, the cities attack units will have attacked, and hopefully lost (provided the archers are veteran). After this, the weakened archers are withdrawn, and immediately a new group of archers is brought in, to the same positions. This continues until the enemy units stop attacking from within the city - this means their attack units are dead.

We then move two settlers in to one of the squares a fortified archer occupies. They both build a fortress, so it will be built very quickly. The other archers withdraw, and all fortify in this new fortress. That has taken care (hopefully) of the cities attack capabilities.

After this, the settlers move round the city, building fortresses at strategically placed points so enemy units can not escape, and new ones can not get through the gaps. The archers then fortify these new fortresses (probably 3 fortresses in total). The city is now completely under siege.

Finally, to take the city, diplomats take out the city walls, and the huge horde of crusaders someone suggested we build will attack. However, it would probably be far better if diplomats took out these buildings:
City Walls, Happiness buildings (Temple, Colloseam, Cathedral etc).

After that, the city should, hopefully go into disorder, and it can be bribed more easily. I'm not sure about the state of our finances, but maybe its time for a tax increase?

Just my thoughts
Old May 28, 2002, 05:20   #45
Kropotkin
Emperor

It sounds pretty neat and all but by then we'll probably have mobile warfare or something.
Old May 28, 2002, 05:28   #46
Bear
Warlord

lol

Let me see..

Turn 1: Disembark archer to left of city; Disembark archer to right of city

Turn 2: Fortify archers

Turn 3: Collect settlers and leave in ship ready to disembark

Turn 4: Disembark new archers (presumably the first two would have been attacked) and disembark settlers.

Turn 5: Fortify new archers; Settlers build fortress.

Five turns and we've got a manned fortress next to their city. If we used 4 settlers, we could have two manned fortresses in 5 turns.

After that, its just a case of landing a few diplomats, destroying their buildings, and bribing. Easy
Old May 28, 2002, 05:32   #47
Kropotkin
Emperor

That will take more than five turns. We must build and/or transport all the units. It would take quite a lot of planning to make it work that smoothly. We'll see if the ministry of defence is competent enough for that one.
Old May 28, 2002, 05:37   #48
Bear
Warlord

Give me a junior position.. Commander of Millitary Planning or something.. and I'll *make* it happen. Where do I go to get elected?
Old May 28, 2002, 06:54   #49
shade
King

Local Time: 02:18
Quote:
Originally posted by JCP

How play OCC without allies ?
Now I recall...I played an OCC 1 time=> so that was the last time I had allies.(but I really don't like the begging part of OCC )

The suggested plan would at least take 20 turns(transporting those units would at least take as long)

Shade
Old May 28, 2002, 08:24   #50
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

1. Now that we have Adam Smith, we should be creating massive infrastructure of (free!) 1GP city improvements (markets, libraries) in our core cities.
2. Build a Diplomat army to pull down city walls.
3. We laid the foundation with Lighthouse and Magellan. Tech goal should be straight to Ironclads!

The biggest mistake would be to press the attack before ready. Vet ironclads and diplomats will do the job for us as long as we prepare properly.

Great job, cavebear!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 28, 2002, 10:10   #51
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
Give me a junior position.. Commander of Millitary Planning or something.. and I'll *make* it happen. Where do I go to get elected?
The position of Minister of War (aka Supreme Military Commander) already exists for the planning part of our battles.

You just missed the regular monthly self-nomination deadline; as you can see from other posts, the actual elections are in progress. We do this toward the end of each month. So, stick around, offer suggestions, build a good reputation, and run for Minister of War next month. It's a good idea to be a participating Citizen for a while anyway, just to get a good idea of what the Cabinet Members do.

Old May 30, 2002, 17:09   #52
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

I agree with -Jrabbit.
The library and market place improvements would be my first goal so that we can get the allready impressive 4 turn tech down to a three or even a two. the market places will provide for any future rushbuilds we will need in the fallen cities of our enemies, as well as providing more luxuries to our people.

Build attack forces in cities which allready contain the "free" improvements so that we may take those american cities.

This is all based on our city production, as for our attack force why not have them take a few of the egyptians out while the opportunity presents its self? Lets not forget that the only purpose for AI is to stop you the player and it can quickly change track from a puny imp to a marginally well defended nation with potential to be a dificult conuest.
Old May 30, 2002, 19:12   #53
Kuciwalker
Deity

Our diplomats can reveal the dialectic to the proletariat of the other lands and help them revolt against their capitalist oppressors.
Old May 30, 2002, 20:31   #54
H Tower

you mean incite revolt? i bet that would be too expensive this close to the enemies' capitals