Old May 25, 2002, 22:21   #1
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Star trek or Star wars? Its time to take sides!
Star Trek.....I am a big trekkie.
Old May 25, 2002, 22:32   #2
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
They're both utter crap.
Old May 25, 2002, 22:36   #3
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:20
aww comon. Star Trek is awesome.
Old May 25, 2002, 22:56   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:20
Derivative. All derivative of DOCTOR WHO!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 25, 2002, 22:58   #5
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Capt Kirk is the total naval CO. Gene Roddenberry was a Navy guy and it shows.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:11   #6
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:20
Its not even close, Star Trek is much better. James Doohans portrayal of a scotsman was second only to Sean Connery as a Spaniard in the same movie with a Frenchman (I think) playing a scotsman. The mind reels..........
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:16   #7
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Its not even close, Star Trek is much better. James Doohans portrayal of a scotsman was second only to Sean Connery as a Spaniard in the same movie with a Frenchman (I think) playing a scotsman. The mind reels..........
Why is Trek so much better?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old May 25, 2002, 23:27   #8
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 21:20
Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Capt Kirk is the total naval CO. Gene Roddenberry was a Navy guy and it shows.
Hate to rain on your parade...But IIRC, Roddenberry was a bomber crewman in the war.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:31   #9
MORON
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
WARS > TREK

FACT
Old May 25, 2002, 23:47   #10
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 18:20
Both started out as great SF series with great senses of humor. Then both started taking themselves way to seriously.

They're sci-fi junk for crying out loud. Why can't we have fun with them anymore??

Harry Potter rules!
Old May 25, 2002, 23:52   #11
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:20
Wars made better movies, but in terms of overall plot/believability, Trek I think was much better.
Old May 25, 2002, 23:52   #12
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Hate to rain on your parade...But IIRC, Roddenberry was a bomber crewman in the war.
oops. Well I read somewhere that one of the creators had a Navyu background which led to the use of Naval ranks, etc. on the space vessels.

Found this on the internet:

I have always liked Star Trek. I watched the original show in the 60's, waited eagerly for the first movie in the 70's, and then later in the 80's got hooked all over again on Star Trek: The Next Generation. It has been good television, good science fiction, and occasionally even good film. Some things, nevertheless, have driven me crazy: (1) Picard and Riker both giving commands, in tandem, on the bridge is absurd. One person has the conn or has the deck on a ship, and it is dangerous to have any confusion about that (see quote above). As Executive Officer, Riker wouldn't even be on the bridge in ordinary circumstances. (2) There doesn't seem to be anything like a regular watch on the bridge. In one show a big point is made that only a full commander can have bridge command, but nothing is more common on the show than to have scenes where all the senior officers of the ship are in some conference or other, leaving who knows who directing the ship on the bridge--unless there are full commanders who aren't part of the regular cast. The writers don't seem to know what naval lieutenants are for--to be the officers of the deck. And (3) Star Trek has never known what admirals are for. The first Star Trek movie has a farcical conflict over whether Admiral Kirk or the newly assigned captain will assume command of the Enterprise. One wonders what Horatio Nelson and Captain Hardy were both doing on the HMS Victory. Later, Star Trek: The Next Generation refers to the Enterprise as the "flag ship" of Star Fleet, without apparently realizing that a flag ship is a ship with a "flag," i.e. a flag officer, an admiral. A Star Trek admiral seems to be some kind of shore officer.
Old May 26, 2002, 00:37   #13
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by MORON
WARS > TREK

FACT
your name's actually correct.

Go Star TREK!
Old May 26, 2002, 00:40   #14
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Dr. Who rocks both of their worlds.
Albert Speer
Old May 26, 2002, 00:43   #15
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:20
both rock....but star wars to me is like the bible
Old May 26, 2002, 00:49   #16
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

your name's actually correct.

Go Star TREK!
sorry. SW= Bigger. Badder. And, Capitalist.
Old May 26, 2002, 01:03   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:20
Star Wars has Natalie Portman AND big battles.
Star Trek just can't compete.
Old May 26, 2002, 01:24   #18
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Dr. Who? Never heard of it...
Old May 26, 2002, 01:49   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

That would just be America, then GP.

British series started in 1963 about an enigmatic time traveller known only as "The Doctor". Continued through 7 incarnations (actors) of the Doctor until 1989, when the series was rested. To this day it continues in officially licensed CD stories, two new fiction adventures a month in print, countless other merchandise and has almost been fully released on video after 19 years of continuous releases. Continuing rumours of a new TV series/movie continue to circulate, but so far nothing except for the 1996 telemovie (shot in America) starring Paul McGann has eventuated.

The longest running Sci-Fi series of ALL TIME. A lot of the issues that showed up in Star Trek, Star Wars et al. were shown in Doctor Who beforehand. Has featured many top notch British actors, and for a while Douglas Adams was the script editor.

At its height in the '70s has been estimated at having 150 odd million viewers worldwide. It may be less visible than than Star titled ones, but in many minds, VASTLY superior.

/Rant off.

Old May 26, 2002, 01:50   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Although On Topic for a moment...

Star Trek? Don't make me laugh. I do watch it, but it never is consistently good - they will follow one or two great stories with tedium for weeks on end. Star Wars is my pick here.

Old May 26, 2002, 02:01   #21
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
That would just be America, then GP.
Hey, I'm American and I watched Dr. who a lot growing up. They had a tv movie here a year ago i think it was and it was pretty bad. But the series was always cool. My mom hated it though. It doesn't make any sense she would always say.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old May 26, 2002, 02:13   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

The US did get a block of episodes at some point, but I've met very few Americans who saw them. And yes, there're a LOT who agree on the awfulness of the TV movie! It may have had better effects than any other Dr Who episode, but it just bit the big one.

Old May 26, 2002, 02:15   #23
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think we're comparing apples and oranges folks.
Star Wars is space mythology, while Trek is serial drama with comedic elements.

It would be like comparing Red Dwarf and Dr. Who, two excellent but very different types of Sci-fi shows.

I think Trek was an awesome example of character development, in all its incarnations. Some of the stories were weak, some good, some really strong. But through it all, the characters were interesting and grew with the show.

Star Wars is much more akin to a universal tale of loss, discovery and redemption that, unfortunately, succumbed to its own colossal weight and expectation (much like a couple of the poorer Trek films) but is still a great and sweeping saga that needs to be judged as a unique whole when it concludes.

Both have really created a groundswell for fantasy and imagination, and should be esteemed for that.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old May 26, 2002, 02:30   #24
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperSneak
I think we're comparing apples and oranges folks.
Star Wars is space mythology, while Trek is serial drama with comedic elements.

It would be like comparing Red Dwarf and Dr. Who, two excellent but very different types of Sci-fi shows.

I think Trek was an awesome example of character development, in all its incarnations. Some of the stories were weak, some good, some really strong. But through it all, the characters were interesting and grew with the show.

Star Wars is much more akin to a universal tale of loss, discovery and redemption that, unfortunately, succumbed to its own colossal weight and expectation (much like a couple of the poorer Trek films) but is still a great and sweeping saga that needs to be judged as a unique whole when it concludes.

Both have really created a groundswell for fantasy and imagination, and should be esteemed for that.
Your right, but to me the people in control of Trek seems to be jamming it down our throats. They can't imagine a year without a Trek series going on and IMO it's killing the frachise. The pump out anything with the Trek logo on it and do so with the knowledege that fans will just accept it without comment. Unfortunaltey Lucus seems to have taken a cue from them
Old May 26, 2002, 02:34   #25
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:20
Quote:
Star Wars has Natalie Portman AND big battles.
What about Jeri Ryan? Terry Farrel?
Old May 26, 2002, 02:45   #26
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh, they both have serious flaws, Sprayber, but boy do I cherish SNG and the first two Star Wars movies.

And Jeri Ryan and Terry Farrel are both mega-babes.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old May 26, 2002, 03:04   #27
Nostromo
Emperor

On the one hand, you have the Jedi, whose philosophy doesn't make much sense; on the other you have the Vulcans, whose hardcore rationalist philosophy makes sense. So, on the philosophical level, its one point for Star Trek and none for Star Wars.
Old May 26, 2002, 03:14   #28
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

They're both dead.
Old May 26, 2002, 03:21   #29
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Star Wars is better!

Not only does it have cooler villains, but it is a dystopia which IMHO is more believable than the Star Trek utopian vision of humanity.

Star Wars! Wooooo!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 26, 2002, 03:25   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 18:20
Star Trek well until TNG of course. everything else sucks