Old April 29, 2001, 01:10   #31
joseph1944

Sorry guys it is a M-2/3 Bradley Fighting Vehicle. I have a nice picture to show you but I can not upload it to the forum. (I don't know how) I have a scanner and tried and tried but no luck. The give away is the two vents on the front of the vehicle. The Soviets BMP has one very large vent on the front of the vehicle. Lawrence I would agree w/you, it does indeed look very much like one of the French Hotchkiss designs.
The Transport Ship is an LCM type. They can cross the Ocean if neccessary.

------------------

[This message has been edited by joseph1944 (edited April 29, 2001).]

Old April 29, 2001, 04:40   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The tank isn't a Bradley. It got a bloody main gun, not some wimpy machine gun. Just look at how long the barrel is.

It seems like a Tiger since Soviet designs have sloping turets.

I think the "cruiser" could be a destoyer and the "AEGIS cruiser" could be a cruiser.

The chariot should have at least two horses and a bigger cart. There should be at least two people in the cart: a driver, and a weaponeer.
[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited April 29, 2001).]
Old April 29, 2001, 06:59   #33
Roman
King

Local Time: 01:02
quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 04-29-2001 04:40 AM
The tank isn't a Bradley. It got a bloody main gun, not some wimpy machine gun. Just look at how long the barrel is.

[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited April 29, 2001).]

Bradley does have a main gun.
Old April 29, 2001, 07:26   #34
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 03:02
Just to debate a bit...

vonManstein, I disagree, the Tiger and TigerII had a bigger turret and a longer gun. They as well as the Panther were not as tall as the vehicleion the pic. Compared with the so called Panzer Tank above the vehicle canīt be one of the tanks you mentioned (a Panther or Tiger was at least as broad as the Panzer Tank (if it is a P III or P IV )

I still think itīs a modern APC, I`m only unsure, because the Bradley is also equipped with Antitank Missiles, but the vehicle on the picture seems not. Also a detail: both the M1 Abrams and the vehicle I call a modern APC have antennas so this may be a sign for their "modernity", because the Fireaxis graphic artists havenīt included antennas for the older tanks (despite also WWII tanks could have them).

Another speculation to the Viking Longship: it looks also like an acient Trireme without the ram, perhaps it is an ancient tradeship?

------------------
Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
Old April 29, 2001, 08:18   #35
Russian King
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:02
The units are great.

But I have to go to bed today and i would like to see a new topic tomorrow:
Anyone wanna discuss how to end civ3? I mean, the hall of fame should AT LEAST include the same info as in civ 2! CTP lacked on that one BAD.
This way (some ppl mentioned it in other topics) you wont feel as if thou your hard work has been wasted, because it'll be recorded .
Old April 29, 2001, 08:50   #36
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

I think the bottom left tank may well be an APC typeunit, for carrying light infantry.. an M1/M2 like that german said.
It looks a lot like the british /UN tanks used in yugoslavia right now.
Or maybe its a fast light-tank.
Old April 29, 2001, 11:07   #37
BeBro
Emperor

quote:

...like that german said.

If you mean me, I have a name

------------------
Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
Old April 30, 2001, 17:01   #38
Temptihumbaninshushinak

Could it be, if we have so many special units, that the Phalanx is simply the Greek special unit?
The aztec unit is a jaguar-warrior, that seems obvious.

Old April 30, 2001, 23:02   #39
vonManstein
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 04-29-2001 07:26 AM
Just to debate a bit...

vonManstein, I disagree, the Tiger and TigerII had a bigger turret and a longer gun. They as well as the Panther were not as tall as the vehicleion the pic. Compared with the so called Panzer Tank above the vehicle canīt be one of the tanks you mentioned (a Panther or Tiger was at least as broad as the Panzer Tank (if it is a P III or P IV )

Ahhhhhhhhhh darn.

The picture doesn't display any more.

I now doubt it is a Tiger. A Panther I don't think it is as well, due to the turret. What I think it might have been was the Tiger II with the Krupp turret. The Tiger II's turret in proportion it it's chassis wasn't that large. Of course, I'm just going from memory, since those pics won't show now.

I think the difference between the generic Panzer tank and the Tiger II is that it would represent a Heavy Tank class in the same time period of the generic Panzer. That way we could progress through time without there being a large leap from a medium Panzer tank to a M1 Abrams.

Although that begs the question, what mark Panzer tank does "Panzer tank" represent? It appears to be a Pz. IV with the short 75mm gun (so it could be an A to F1 mark).

Oh well, not like it really matters, we're playing Civ3, not Panzer Commander or Panzer Elite or West Front or Combat Mission or etc. etc.

Old May 1, 2001, 00:27   #40
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 02:02
The chariot is a celtic one (used by Gaullois and German). The are describe by Julius Caesar.

The fighter used these chariot to go near enemies. They jumped out off it, attacked romans fighters and for retreting they jumping in the chariot and drive away.

They were particulary crafty for such acrobaties.
Old May 1, 2001, 00:58   #41
Ceci n'est pas Snapcase

A more thorough look on the other screenshots reveals the following:

a) My "camel" unit is a worker unit, quite definately. It's very frequent.

b) The "longship" is not viking-specific. My new guess is it's a trireme.

c) The character with the skull mask (mystery1) occurs in a screenshot with a civ that has a city called "Ecatepec", today a city in Mexico. This leads me to assume it's Aztec special unit.

d) There is a unit being built in several towns in different screenshots called "spearmen". Also, in the same timeframe a newly built unit of what I thought was a "guard" is in another of the cities. Therefore, I assume that there is a new spearman unit that would be placed between the warrior and the phalanx, and that the "guard" (who does look a bit like the Civ2 warrior) is that unit. In the "washington" screenshot (the one off the website), you can see the heads of the fortified units behind the city graphic, and this unit seems to be fortified in many of them, of different civilisations no less. Therefore it is a common defensive unit, and I'm sure it is the elusive spearman.

edit: e) The one I thought was an english special unit appears in a greek city (assuming Hieraconpolis is greek) on the Detroit screenshot. This would probably not make it an english special unit, but it still looks like robin hood! New guess: it's an archer. The other unit which looks like an archer is the english special unit (longbow archer or whatever).
[This message has been edited by Ceci n'est pas Snapcase (edited April 30, 2001).]

Old May 1, 2001, 11:41   #42
Leonidas
King

My first impression of that lower left armoured vehicle is that it is a Bradly fighting vehicle. Also, it might, and I say, might represent a generic Sherman tank, although, its design would be a bit off.

We are dealing with an artist's conception here, at an early stage in the game, so it might change in time to truly resemble what it actually is.

Nice work Snapcase

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old May 2, 2001, 00:51   #43
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
Bradley it is!

ATa
Old May 2, 2001, 07:12   #44
Aias
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power II MultiplayerMac
Warlord

The "ship" in the second row, second from left, is a WW II era landing craft.

------------------
The wall of the Achaians
Old May 2, 2001, 07:47   #45
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Just to make sure for those who haven't read a reaction I gave on someone who asked what panzer means, the first time some of these pictures were shown on the FIRAXIS-site.
Saying panzer-tank somehow is a pleonasm, it would mean tank-tank. Panzer (=pantser in dutch) in german means armour. The official designation for a tank in german was/is Panzerkampfwagen (Pzkw), meaning "armoured battlecar". Usually the germans use(d) just the word panzer when they talk(ed) about tanks. It's not somesort of animal.
The last three types of Pzkw's (P-IV, V, VI) had names: Panther; Tiger; and Königstiger (kingstiger) (the ö is not a vowel which is known to anglo, but the i in tiger is to be pronounced as ee in sheet or fleet).
[This message has been edited by Vrank Prins (edited May 02, 2001).]
Old May 2, 2001, 10:18   #46
SerapisIV
King

quote:

Originally posted by Ceci n'est pas Snapcase on 04-28-2001 01:05 PM
Tanks

This is an M2/M3 Bradley.

It's most likely a "Mech Infantry" unit, because most mech infantry (US) drive in either humvees or Bradleys.

The second one might be an old tank, if you remember the CGW screenshot, there was a bi-plane in the city-screen. Maybe this is the early tank and then your armored units upgrade to Panzers, then M1 Abrams units. Well its an idea.
[This message has been edited by SerapisIV (edited May 02, 2001).]
Old May 2, 2001, 10:19   #47
Youngsun
Prince

Definitely M2 Bradley! first I suspected British Warrior but it isn't.

First I thought this as French Somua tank because of its small round turret but I changed my mind after I saw the wheels. It is M4 Sherman. This is so poorly drawn.

Looks like WWII era Anti-tank gun. could be British 6 pounder or German 35mm/pak.

Norman? see his nose covering helmet with round shiled and red long hair.

Double-convexed composite bow man. probably middle eastern origin.

Arquebusier see the arquebus rest.

His helmet looks like Babylonian.

A knight right see the emblem of the shield. A crusader would have a cross on the shield.

Don't you guys think the edges of the turret are too rounded?

look at this! how sharp edged it is!

and the panzer is PzIII not a PzIV if you count the number of wheels, you know.
[This message has been edited by Youngsun (edited May 02, 2001).]
Old May 2, 2001, 10:29   #48
SerapisIV
King

About the rounded edges on the Abrams, the Firaxis unit pics show the same roundedness. These are really just general pics for a computer game, not unit recognition for real militaries, so some artistic license is allowed with real world units
Old May 2, 2001, 10:41   #49
Youngsun
Prince

I know what you mean but the tank is surely ugly.
[This message has been edited by Youngsun (edited May 03, 2001).]
Old May 18, 2001, 07:28   #50
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I think it might be a non Roman legion. As the Roman legion is a specific unit there shall be something fore every civ that is close to it, but not as good as it.
[This message has been edited by vgriph (edited May 18, 2001).]
Old May 18, 2001, 10:08   #51
senowen
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by vgriph on 05-18-2001 07:28 AM
I think it might be a non Roman legion. As the Roman legion is a specific unit there shall be something fore every civ that is close to it, but not as good as it.

To me this looks like a Germanic barbarian of some sort, as long as that is an animal skin around his head and shoulders. If it is armor, then that's an entirely different story.
[This message has been edited by senowen (edited May 18, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by senowen (edited May 18, 2001).]