View Poll Results: Our Comrade Leader shall be...
Re-elected on a swell of pride for our glorious achievements! 20 80.00%
Deposed and the Communist nation thrown into (temporary) anarchy. And I have a truly mind-numbing reason why this is good. See below... 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27, 2002, 02:06   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Comrade Premier of Apolytonia Elections
The big cheese himself, who shall lead us into victory over the bourgeois hordes through his enactment of the will of the working peoples of Aolytonia.

Three day poll, finishing 0158 Thursday Apolyton chat room time.

Comrade Premier, may I offer this thread for any announcements you may like to make?

VP,
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 27, 2002, 07:18   #2
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:23
"If revolution comes count on change"...
is this a bad Omen when you get this message after voting???

Personnaly: Supreme Millitary Commander and Prez should be ppl with an idea what is going on at the moment.=>Go prez Go

Shade
Old May 27, 2002, 11:24   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
ANARCHY RULES!!!!
Old May 27, 2002, 15:37   #4
cavebear
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
(Taps mike, clears throat)...

"Comrades of the Workers Paradise of Apolytonia... I stand before you today to request your support, as I have supported you.

"May has been a Glorious month for our proud and thriving civ. The evil Repblicans and Monarchists surrounding us are discovering, to their dismay, the benefits of our Communist government. They fall behind us, and we will bury them! We will consign them to the dustheaps of History! (pounds shoe on podium).

"As your Premier, I have expanded and strengthened our civ. I have increased our knowledge. I have built Wonders of great benefit to us all. I have taken cities from the Egyptian Republican dogs and freed the citizens to join our Workers Union!

But I have not these things alone. Indeed, all that has been accomplished has been through *your* efforts. I have only led you where you demanded to go, and what pride I have in those accomplishments is merely the pride of seeing the wisdom of all the Citizens in the direction you have chosen.

If you are willing to have me as your Premier for the June term, I will continue the goals that, you, the People, have espoused. There are Wonders to be built, and there are Wonders to be taken. There are Workers enslaved by the running dogs of the other civs to be freed from their cruel oppression. We shall free them!

Our current campaign against the bourgeois Egyptians will continue. But we also must start to pay attention to the other civs lest they grow powerful as we let them live in peace. In the coming month, we will begin to reduce their confidence and security. We will gain Spies, Ironclads, and Conscripted forces. We will improve our productivity and turn out forces that cannot be defied!

With your help and guidance, we will prevail!

Thank you for your support and hard work...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 27, 2002, 17:19   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:23
(soapbox disappears) AHHHHHH!!!! SPLAT
Old May 27, 2002, 17:23   #6
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:23
I think Cavebear has earned the right to another term judging from last terms achievements
Old May 27, 2002, 17:34   #7
Gen. Hancock
Settler

Well, I must say I am one Citizen who does not believe we should continue to conquer futher lands after we have defeated the Egyptians, but that we should maintain peace and prosperity among our peoples and the people of other distant lands. It is not sufficient that we, the Apolytonians, should be the only civilization on the face of the earth, but that we should learn to co-exist with the other civilizations, establish trade, diplomacy, and continue to advance our technology through studying, not through conquest and war.
Old May 28, 2002, 08:59   #8
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gen. Hancock
Well, I must say I am one Citizen who does not believe we should continue to conquer futher lands after we have defeated the Egyptians, but that we should maintain peace and prosperity among our peoples and the people of other distant lands. It is not sufficient that we, the Apolytonians, should be the only civilization on the face of the earth, but that we should learn to co-exist with the other civilizations, establish trade, diplomacy, and continue to advance our technology through studying, not through conquest and war.

Hey, cavebear -- looks like your whole "benevolent dictatorship"ploy has, as predicted, completely gulled the proletariat masses. Truly your crowning achievment!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 28, 2002, 09:08   #9
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 01:23
I agree with Hancock. Although I'm kinda new, so not very qualified, I think we can learn and take a lot more from our enemies using diplomacy and peace than using war. We can trade
science, getting the good tech before them, and build up stronger armies so we can demand tribute from them every turn and starve them of their money. If they refuse, of course, we release the hounds.. mwahahaha!

I am also a tad concerned that maybe with this policy we may inadvertedly create a new super-power. Our glorious premier wishes to attack new lands, but is that such a good idea? As we weaken other empires, the stronger will take advantage, and gain land for themselves! In the end, the survival of the fittest will be won, but by one or even TWO other civilisations. That would make them far harder to defeat if they refuse to work with us - far harder than one small-medium civilisation would be.

Oh, and I just formed the Capitalist Party, so I would vote no anyway

I've not been here long though, so I'm going to refrain from voting.
Old May 28, 2002, 09:31   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gen. Hancock
At the very least, the Americans must go. They have attacked us with cessation from the very start, aided the Egyptians even when not allied with them, and have refused to even talk to our Ambassadors when approached civilly. In addition, they are a small but powerful civ of a few large cities and constitute a grave danger to our Glorious Workers Paradise.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 28, 2002, 09:40   #11
Bear
Warlord

Ahh, that is true..

But I remember one time.. in the 16th century AD, was it? You, our glorious premier , did not accept an American cease fire because it would leave their catapult in front of an Egyptian city, preventing you from attacking it! You then destroyed the catapult!

I agree that they are small and powerful, but surely there are better things to do than attack them? If they are small and powerful, their cities are richer than ours, with marketplaces and banks, so why would they support this Empires communist ideals?

I propose that we do everything in our power to prevent further American expansion, and perhaps work towards an alliance with one of their enemies so we can readily have friends if we do have to go to war with them.

We should also have millitary bases near the Americans; I propose that for this purpose, and as retaliation because of attacks in the past, we destroy one of their cities walls, temple, marketplace etc and bribe it.

Then we will flex our muscles and demand that the yanks give us loadsa every turn (demanding tribute)!

This was a post from your friendly capitalist ant-communist
Old May 28, 2002, 10:36   #12
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
Ahh, that is true..

But I remember one time.. in the 16th century AD, was it? You, our glorious premier , did not accept an American cease fire because it would leave their catapult in front of an Egyptian city, preventing you from attacking it! You then destroyed the catapult!
I recognized the cease-fire offer for the insidious and self-serving ploy it was. Never will I accept a cease-fire at sword-point (or facing a large rock). The intrusion of the American Catapault in the midst of our ongoing assault on Heliopolis could not be ignored. Our Diplomats specifically advised us that the American offer was a subtrefuge designed solely for the benefit of our Egyptian opponents!

Quote:
I agree that they are small and powerful, but surely there are better things to do than attack them? If they are small and powerful, their cities are richer than ours, with marketplaces and banks, so why would they support this Empires communist ideals?
They have the GL and Shakespeare's. We want them. The GL would clear up a lot of the older techs we skipped, and Shakespeare's would give us a great port from which to home our navy without unhappiness issues.

Old May 28, 2002, 12:49   #13
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 03:23
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
They have the GL and Shakespeare's. We want them. The GL would clear up a lot of the older techs we skipped, and Shakespeare's would give us a great port from which to home our navy without unhappiness issues.
I agree that, sooner or later, we have to control Shakespeare'sTheater, for homing our fleet and our air forces.
But I doubt that the GL may be usefull for us : before we take the city which built it, somebody (perhaps ourself, for stopping american scientific progression !we )will discover electricity.
I think we'll have the skipped techs by conquering foreign cities or stealing them !
Old May 28, 2002, 12:59   #14
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JCP

I agree that, sooner or later, we have to control Shakespeare'sTheater, for homing our fleet and our air forces.
But I doubt that the GL may be usefull for us : before we take the city which built it, somebody (perhaps ourself, for stopping american scientific progression !we )will discover electricity.
I think we'll have the skipped techs by conquering foreign cities or stealing them !
Entirely possible. But if the oppurtunity arises soon enough, I want to keep taking the GL in mind. Just one of those "in the back of the mind" things to keep aware of. I would gladly learn Electricity and forego the GL, (as things stand in this game).

Old May 28, 2002, 13:21   #15
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
I've not been here long though, so I'm going to refrain from voting.
Bear -- The voice of the ppl is, by its nature, their combined current wisdom. The fact that you're new on this forum is part of that equation!

Vote, Bear, vote!!

Old May 28, 2002, 13:26   #16
Bear
Warlord

On behalf of the Apolyton Capitalists, I vote NO!!

And I'm saying that very angrily

I'm not saying cavebear has done a bad job.. from what I've seen, he's done a very good job, but I disagree with the policies of our leaders. Therefore, I am voting NO!

I'll have to find a way to get myself elected as the Trade Comrade dude next month

Last edited by Bear; May 28, 2002 at 13:58.
Old May 28, 2002, 13:47   #17
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:23
cavedog?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 28, 2002, 13:59   #18
Bear
Warlord

cavedog? did I put cavedog? Yes.. but I changed it quickly.

Old May 28, 2002, 14:28   #19
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

it would seem that the peace at any price party has been formed
Old May 28, 2002, 14:42   #20
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
cavedog? did I put cavedog? Yes.. but I changed it quickly.

"cavedog"?

You are forgiven, but, umm, wouldn't the "bear" part have been the natural default word for you?

ROTFLMAO!

President (Ursus spelaeus) cavebear
Old May 28, 2002, 16:46   #21
Xenozod
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 19:23
I, too, am new, but I have read enough that I think I understand everything clear enough to be a regular citizen. I vote YES for cavebear due to his past record and his ideas for the future. Vote YES for cavebear!!!
Old May 29, 2002, 04:54   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Now this is a great election. Not only will we have a definitive result, and a popular one too, but a voice of dissent has been sounded! We may be Commiunists, but we aren't above improving oursleves for the people.

Bear, I heartily welcome your pacifist thoughts. Of course, if elected Minister of War I will do my utmost to EXTERMINATE ALL INFERIOR CIVILIZATIONS WHO STAND IN OUR WAY- excuse me, just a brief relapse, if anyone remembers... I will aim to convince the people to severly curb Egypt's power (at least) and also undertake a reduction of the Americans' ability to wage war. Nevertheless, I may offer my support to internal development of our lands after these objectives have been completed.

Internal development of course leads to greater productivity and thus more machines of war in our campaigns.

Make sure your voices are heard in all discussions where you have something to add - that goes for everyone. We cannot govern without the people, for it is all who truly rule.

VP,
MrWIA.

Old May 29, 2002, 07:15   #23
Bear
Warlord

My in-game complaints:

The average income is just $13 per person, per year. Please explain how the average Apolyton will benefit from far off wars with no less than two reasonably powerful civilisations, aside from being given a musket and thrown into battle.

Life expectancy is 27 years. Working would start at what? Since we have such a good education system (quote from cavebear), the kiddies must be at school until 15 at least. Thats 12 years to earn $13 per year.. The average Apolyton will earn $146 per year!!!! Workers paradise? Pffffffft!

The average Apolyton stands a 46% chance of death by disease. In one hundred Apolytons, 46 will die prematurely. Workers paradise..?

Only about a quarter of the Apolyton population can READ!! What word does that scream out.. ELITISM! The best people (scientists, scribes, politicians) are those who can read. Definetly not Communist, and definetly not fair.

You ask the average Apolyton, clutching his $13 he earned for a year of 12 hour days and no weekends, if he wants to go and fight a war in Egypt and America to extend the "Workers Paradise". What do you think HE will say? In fact, get him to write it down. Then you won't even get an answer

I propose this:
Build up the infastructure of the core of Apolyton. Create a WORKERS PARADISE! But a Workers Paradise is one in which everyone gets a fair chance, being able to read and not die of cholera. It is also when everyone gets the oppurtunity to be pulled out of the gutter of poverty - the only way this can be done is through DEMOCRACY and CAPITALISM.

After this, once the workers paradise is firmly established, we will, somehow, spread our good around the world, by war or otherwise.
Old May 29, 2002, 07:24   #24
Bear
Warlord

To conclude..

Our "Make everyone realise our good by killing them" policies aren't very Communist, in my opinion. Limit their expansion and put THEM into the gutter of poverty, yes. Then we will, indeed, have a paradise which they will want to flock to (which we will allow them to do by demanding all their money and then.. ahem.. assimilating them ).

To me, the governments policies look very Fundamentalist, or even Depotic!

*turns round to see two large men in dark suits*
Erm.. yes?
"Come with us please, sir."
*gulp*
Old May 29, 2002, 08:07   #25
-Jrabbit
Deity

Quote:
*turns round to see two large men in dark suits*
Erm.. yes?
"Come with us please, sir."
*gulp*
Now you're catching on, Bear...!

Old May 29, 2002, 08:15   #26
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

You should read the debate in the Capitalist party thread, bear. I'm too tired to repeat it.

Also, we must fight to curb our enemies' power enough that it is possible to build the paradise without being attacked. We did not provoke or start this war, all we are doing now is ensuring that there will be no immediate threats to the homes of every worker.

Would you have us give up the war now, return to our cities and proceed to have Egyptian caravels sinking our trade fleets? When invasion forces are beaten off our lands and we survey the terrain devastation inflicted, is this just? We want our workers paradise much as you describe, but we need to lay the foundations before we can start building our infrastructure.

Old May 30, 2002, 12:22   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Congratulations President cavebear! A second term in office is a sure way for the citizenry to say thank you for the successes and a thumbs up for the State future.

I look forward to working with you again and the new Cabinet.

War Minister,
MrWIA.

Old May 30, 2002, 13:38   #28
cavebear
Emperor

Thank you, Mr Vice President. I look forward to working with the new Cabinet for the June term.