Old May 28, 2002, 04:56   #1
dervish
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hate RMG!!!!
The so-called random map generator. Pisses me right off with its deliberate and elaborate diversity.
Can't you, guys, come up with something more interesting, say bits and pieces of real world map in a bigger scale??? Or at least few historic compaigns or scenarios should have been included into the game like in the case with Civ2.
The purpose of the game, correct me, if I am wrong is to re-live or re-play the history of this modern humankind, and since the world map hasn't changed much for the last 10.000 or 100.000 years, I don't know why I would wanna re-play our history on totally unrecognizable terrain???
I like this discussion going on in GGS project forum, about spherical map. Unfortunately, I don't understand a word of it!!!
Old May 28, 2002, 05:08   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 02:26
Your initials are not D.L., are they?

Anyway, there is already a large amount of maps available in the Files-Forum (see the File-Index thread there) or at www.civ3.com. If you are looking for a huge and very accurate real world map, I recommend you Marla's Map, but play it only with a state of the art PC, and be prepared for a monster game, since it is HUGE.
Old May 28, 2002, 05:19   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:26
A computer generated map will always be of lower quality than a well-made human one. That said, the RMG for Civ 3 is a much much better one than was included with Civ 2.

Quote:
The purpose of the game, correct me, if I am wrong is to re-live or re-play the history of this modern humankind.
Actually, the purpose of the game is to make your own history, with your people.
Reliving history is good too, though.
Old May 28, 2002, 05:27   #4
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 11:26
I admit the RMG is somewhat flawed, and even if made the best it can be, still won't compare to the work of a human with a decent skill with the map editor, but they should at least be able to spread out the starting locations a bit better.

I get tired of starting games only to have another civ right up next to me right at the start. Some games I started, my capital's borders hugged with another civ's borders. Of course, if I had used the Aztecs it wouldn't be much of a problem, but its just ridiculous that all the civs are concentrated into one area, when there's plenty of land out there for equal distribution. Not as much of a problem on Pangaea and Continent maps, but a damn nuisance on island maps.
Old May 28, 2002, 05:35   #5
Akka
Prince

I don't see why people yell at this RMG. It's probably one of the best thing in Civ3, and I was very pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the maps it produced when I started to play.

It's probably not as good as a map made by someone who know his job, but I bet it's much better than a map made by the majority of people. At least, continents look like continents, and have not the strange shape that had the Civ2 RMG.
Old May 28, 2002, 05:41   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

As far as I can see, he doesn't want to merely criticize the RMG, but is looking for real world maps. So let him play the numerous world maps in the Files forum, or the Europe map, or even the Antarctica map there. When he gets sick of those, either will be available new maps, or he will gladly return to the more interesting (and IMHO darn good) RMG.
Old May 28, 2002, 06:45   #7
Mannamagnus
Prince

The only thing I dislike about the RMG is that when I ask for pangea half of the time I end up with two continents.
Old May 28, 2002, 12:45   #8
MiloMilo
Warlord

Local Time: 20:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My gripe with the civ3 RMG is that it does not make enough islands. Our choices seem to be one huge continent, 2-4 medium continents, or lots of islands. What about two continents and some islands? In a recent game, large map/12 civs, I discovered all the civs, and the northeast section of the map (a huge portion, 20-25%) was still dark. Great! I said, since I have some extra settlers and the first ocean-faring ships, I will be the first one there to claim the land and set up some FP-run colonies. What was there, after 500 years of sailing? Not one bit of land. The whole quarter of the map might as well not have been there. Very disappointing.
Old May 28, 2002, 17:03   #9
delsolsi
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:26
Quote:
Originally posted by MiloMilo
What about two continents and some islands?
I had this in a recent game. Five civ's shared one huge continent, two other civ's shared a medium continent, and I got stuck on a little island full of mountains and plains. I chose random so at first I thought everyone was on a little island. I could only fit three cities on my island so I rushed towards map making so I could settle on some more islands. Once I got a galley I found only one more little island that I could travel to. By about this time some of the other civ's made contact with me and thats when I found out that I was the only one that got stuck on an island.
Old May 28, 2002, 17:46   #10
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

I never tried a random map. I always assumed that it would be either pangea or archipelago or something in between, but I didn't think it could be a mixture of these.
I'll try that random setting in my next game.
Old May 28, 2002, 18:01   #11
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

It's better than the Civ2 RMG... and that's all I need. I enjoy the challenge of a bad start position, and if it is truly untenable I can just start a new game. No big deal.
Old May 28, 2002, 18:07   #12
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

It does not always churn out maps to specification - Pangea seems to get shafted quite often for instnce. But it's still fairly good. Except, perhaps, as already noted - civs sure start close sometimes.
Old May 28, 2002, 19:59   #13
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Anyway, there is already a large amount of maps available in the Files-Forum (see the File-Index thread there) or at www.civ3.com. If you are looking for a huge and very accurate real world map, I recommend you Marla's Map, but play it only with a state of the art PC, and be prepared for a monster game, since it is HUGE.
Oh, please. They are useless.

With all these maps and mods you have to re-Edit every one if YOU edited the game mod.

Owing to the stupid and non-historical values that Firaxis gave us, the game must be Edited. But we can NOT use any other map with our edited values; they must be re-edited.

This is another MAJOR failing with the game, along with no scenario-building and dozens of other things.

If anyone is interested, a more historical and playable mod is attached. But, again, I can NOT use those values if I downloaded a map from the Firaxis site.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip civ3mod.zip (15.9 KB, 0 views)
Old May 28, 2002, 22:53   #14
dervish
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
No, sir.

And speaking of these numerous modpacks, map files, x-packs that are always recommended for download, I downloaded once and it didn't work on my computer. May be, because I use pirated version of civ3? And my puter is regular - almost out of date shitty machine

Has anyone tried Trade Empires or Pharaoh? On these there are no Random Map Generators, they are very close to real history. But, civ3 still seems to me to be better than all above, just because of the scale in time, and more interaction with other civs.

But, someone told me not to expect too much of a reality from the games like that. Where was that???
Old May 28, 2002, 22:56   #15
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dervish

No, sir.

And speaking of these numerous modpacks, map files, x-packs that are always recommended for download, I downloaded once and it didn't work on my computer. May be, because I use pirated version of civ3? And my puter is regular - almost out of date shitty machine

Has anyone tried Trade Empires or Pharaoh? On these there are no Random Map Generators, they are very close to real history. But, civ3 still seems to me to be better than all above, just because of the scale in time, and more interaction with other civs.

But, someone told me not to expect too much of a reality from the games like that. Where was that???
Games without random map generators IMO lose a lot of replayability. I mean poor Age of Wonders would have been so much cooler if there was someway to randomly generate a map/mission!

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old May 28, 2002, 23:12   #16
Tuberski

Quote:

No, sir.

Anybody who uses a pirated version of the game has NO RIGHT to ***** about the game. Those of us who paid for it, even Coracle, have the right....you don't.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 29, 2002, 01:02   #17
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:26
Barely on topic here

You mean that the "random' setting actually generates a totally random map??? I thought that it would choose one of the three pre-existing types randomly, then make a map based on whichever one was chosen. Was I wrong?
Old May 29, 2002, 01:20   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

And AUA is born.
Old May 29, 2002, 05:48   #19
dervish
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Anybody who uses a pirated version of the game has NO RIGHT to ***** about the game. Those of us who paid for it, even Coracle, have the right....you don't.
Well, in Russia and China, you can hardly find licensed copies of this fine original stuff, which costs twice as much as people's monthly salaries here. We buy pirated and hacked ones either by Russkis or Hanskis. If you have an excessive amount of this shining stuff you're wellcome to come here, Mr.Taburetski.
Old May 29, 2002, 07:25   #20
Todd Hawks
Prince

You can edit the initial spacing of the civs in the editor, btw.
Old May 29, 2002, 07:27   #21
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:26

Yeah, in Russia it's so easy to buy a pirated CD, in most any shop... while finding a licensed piece of soft ain't anywhere easy .
Old May 29, 2002, 15:55   #22
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
And AUA is born.
Please enlighten me: Who or what is AUA? (or where???)
Old May 29, 2002, 23:31   #23
Tuberski

Quote:

Well, in Russia and China, you can hardly find licensed copies of this fine original stuff, which costs twice as much as people's monthly salaries here. We buy pirated and hacked ones either by Russkis or Hanskis. If you have an excessive amount of this shining stuff you're wellcome to come here, Mr.Taburetski.
Well, in that case, you are forgiven. When I was in the Persian Gulf, I used to buy a lot of pirated tapes and CD's, but I didn't complain because they were cheap. Now, if they charged as much as a regular CD here then I'd be pissed.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and accept my apologies.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 29, 2002, 23:49   #24
dervish
Chieftain

Sorry, about mispelling your name.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:51   #25
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

AUA... another useless acronym. Not entirely useless within the context of this thread, but you know... had to be said
Old May 29, 2002, 23:55   #26
Tuberski

Quote:
Sorry, about mispelling your name.

Not a problem!