Old May 28, 2002, 06:29   #1
winterfritz
Prince

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Post-WW2 scenarios
Can anyone recommend me some good scenarios depicting the whole world, set after World War 2? This includes Cold War scenarios and any scenarios about the modern, post-USSR situation (like New World Order, the only scenario of this kind I do know about.)
Old May 28, 2002, 10:37   #2
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
While there are good scenarios (I always liked Gulf War 2000 even though its dated now), it's hard to game the Cold War in Civ2 terms. After all, the main way to get things done in a Civ2 scenario is conquer cities, which what 40 years of Cold War geopolitics was designed to prevent. Believe me, I have thought long and hard about trying to do a good Cold War scen. The best I could do was to convince Fast Eddie to make up lists of units

I did a scenario (I believe the filename is centasia.zip in the Apolyton archives) about Central Asia in the post USSR days. It was my second scenario and truthfully it's not that great. It has gotten topical in the past eight months or so . . .
Old May 29, 2002, 02:36   #3
winterfritz
Prince

Local Time: 01:27
Something with different objectives might work for a Cold War scen - you're right, conquering cities wasn't exactly the point of that 'conflict'. I think it'd also work as an MP or PBEM scenario.

Re 'post-USSR scenarios', I was particularly looking for a depiction of the whole world during the period, rather than localised conflicts. Apart from New World Order, there don't seem to be many good simulations of the present (which includes the 90s as well as now) world situation.
Old May 29, 2002, 03:57   #4
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
My scenario 'Raging Dragon' covers most of Euroasia...
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old May 29, 2002, 04:24   #5
ravagon
King

Local Time: 09:27
Quote:
Originally posted by winterfritz
Re 'post-USSR scenarios', I was particularly looking for a depiction of the whole world during the period, rather than localised conflicts. Apart from New World Order, there don't seem to be many good simulations of the present (which includes the 90s as well as now) world situation.
I've been playing around with the idea of a "Cruel Sea" - type scenario (Hope that name isn't copyrighted ) set in 1996+ featuring a rampaging China (with tacit Russian material support) launching a general offensive against a number of SE-Asian countries/territories - Taiwan, Phillipenes, Hong Kong, Spratleys, etc. Basically the Player leads the USN against PRC air and naval assets with land units playing a very minimal part.
Its not exactly global of course ...

PS: No need to mention this "original idea" to a certain Mr Clancey.
Old May 29, 2002, 12:26   #6
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

you mean like the book Submarine that he wrote for the computer game?
Old May 29, 2002, 12:30   #7
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i found this scenario called ColdWarX a long time ago. its nowhere near the level of scenarios made today, but if your desperate for a cold war scenario, it'll do.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip coldwar.zip (363.3 KB, 2 views)
Old May 29, 2002, 13:32   #8
Michael Daumen
Prince

After seeing Second Front, I envisioned a game where you controlled 2 nations - a superpower and a proxy civ. The superpower does little but make money, freight, and immobile combat units, which it can give (along with cash) to the proxy. The proxy civ has Leo's Workshop, which upgrades the immobile units into functioning armed forces. Depending on various conditions, the cold war could always heat up into a conventional one - then you switch to a more active set of rules.txt and slug it out.

Could this work? Is it worth proceeding out of the dreaming stage into testing?
Old May 29, 2002, 13:33   #9
Michael Daumen
Prince

PS Where can I find the aforementioned Cruel Sea and Raging Dragon scens?
Old May 29, 2002, 16:48   #10
H Tower

civfanatics has them
Old May 29, 2002, 16:51   #11
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Daumen
After seeing Second Front, I envisioned a game where you controlled 2 nations - a superpower and a proxy civ. The superpower does little but make money, freight, and immobile combat units, which it can give (along with cash) to the proxy. The proxy civ has Leo's Workshop, which upgrades the immobile units into functioning armed forces. Depending on various conditions, the cold war could always heat up into a conventional one - then you switch to a more active set of rules.txt and slug it out.

Could this work? Is it worth proceeding out of the dreaming stage into testing?
i think you would need to make it a hotseat game, like second front. that way you would control both civs. however, you would need to turn off diplomacy between your two civs and make them permanently allied. and leo's can always be changed so that it doesn't become obsolete. this idea just might work...
Old May 30, 2002, 13:47   #12
Michael Daumen
Prince

Quote:
however, you would need to turn off diplomacy between your two civs and make them permanently allied
You need the diplomacy active to allow gift giving. Between a house rule and an event setting attitudes each turn you should maintain a beautiful relationship.
Old May 30, 2002, 15:48   #13
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 19:27
Event setting attitude? This has got to be a ToT command, right?
Old May 31, 2002, 02:08   #14
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 17:27
in case nobody has mentioned them, there are some good scenarios by Techumseh about Vietnam and Congo.
Old May 31, 2002, 13:29   #15
H Tower

but they're ToT, right?
Old May 31, 2002, 19:23   #16
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 17:27
Originally, no. FW versions are floating around somewhere. Techsumeh did convert Congo to ToT, and he was making the Vietnam ToT version...