Old May 28, 2002, 10:16   #1
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The First Cheat-Strategies For Civ III: PtW
- LIST CLOSED -

Last updated in 17/X/02 at 13:57 CET

This thread should have posts showing interesting strategies/cheats that could appear with the new possibilities of PtW expansion.

RANKING OF LUCENT BRAINS

1.- 02+1/3 DrFell WINNER!!!!!
2.- 02+0/3 MJW
2.- 02+0/3 BigFurryMonster
2.- 02+0/3 ImmortalWombat
2.- 02+0/3 vulture
3.- 01+1/3 King of Rasslin
3.- 01+1/3 Oerdin
4.- 01+0/3 statusperfect
4.- 01+0/3 Nyl
4.- 01+0/3 Calc II
4.- 01+0/3 panag
4.- 01+0/3 notyoueither
4.- 01+0/3 hahntsak
4.- 01+0/3 starmouse
4.- 01+0/3 Lawrence of Arabia
5.- 00+0/3 Solver

CURRENT STRATEGIES IN THE THREAD

Please, write them as short as possible.

(The first is the last posted)

Diplomacy Spam by statusperfect

Diplomacy spam during turnless and simultaneous. Player A attacks player B. During the Attack player C & D send as many diplomacy requests as they can to player B.

King's Isle by Nyl

Playing Regicide or Mass Regicide, find a very small island and fill it with combat units plus your king(s). Unless someone is the Vikings, no one can touch your king until the late industrial age...

Reputation Killer by MJW

level: Deity - 2 humans, 14 AI

Make a deal with the other guy. Make in insane offer for peace. If he accepts He is down to one city. If says no you have just ruined his rep and he can not get anything for trades. Unless its for peace. Fix:Make peace in a way that you can talk about it.

Luxury Sharing++ by Calc II

in idea with the luxury sharing, You can do a resource sharing trick where your human ally in dire need of iron will be supplied by you, for around 2 turns or so. your partner switches all the production to knights, swordmen and other iron req. production and declare war on you. Trade is nulled and you get your iron back. Meanwhile you partner will be able to build swordmen and knights and when they are completed, you can sign treaty and repeat the process to build more.

War-Time Cure by MJW

This is pretty small cheat but you get out of a war-time by doing a "war" with a parther and geting peace.

Hidden nationality exploit by panag

hi ,

when a unit has "hidden nationality" and you are with that unit near an other AI , that civ can contact you , ....this exploit , bug or cheat from the AI is one that should be fixed , ...

have a nice day

"Teaming" as a general thing by BigFurryMonster

People who are often playing together, might starting to help each other in the following way: in game A, player 1 helps player 2 to win (at his own expense) and in game B vice versa. This can really upset other players playing in only one of the games.

Fake Civs by hahntsak

similar to the mutual 'battle training' area cheat mentioned earlier, in multiplayer, where 2 or more players know each other: fodder civilizations, possibly ran by a (robot) thatcould build conquerone flank and give stuff to the 'parent' state.
this is one of the oldest forms of multiplayer cheat. it works within the game as another player [sep node/internet acct]
example
charlie has his friends jake and ted whoop on some guy in germany and a bloke in london: ted and jake play civs in same theater charlie. in game chat is irrelevant as they can utilize 3rd party chat utility. they can contact each other quicker [sending screen shots of location], then form flanks, have brief 'wag the gog' wars to get leaders, and otherwise share their resources freely orflowingstraight to charlie's state. when other civs deal with any of them they get the raw deal from all of them especially when knownto be human and particularly when they are known to be that german and brit that they aim to cream. they form mutual defense and right of passage aggreements asap.

their nationalities could be same jake could be in the uk,ted in spain and contacted via email by charlie to whoop up on the guy nextdoor [for a personal grudge].
same method.
the fodder part comes when an ivading army comes in the weaker 2 give every city over to the stronger one and all cash too. the new combined nation fed off its fodder and the lesser states only retain their capitols.
these contain their only military.
but taking these cities out gives little payoff to the victor as the money washauledoff and as the gobbling state may lose a few it suddenly has huge increase and bigger purse.
this cheat has been used time and time again....
the idea of dummy accts to form a 'fallguy' player in a game is not new.
anybody got a robot or can make one? anybody evergonna admit it.

note a robot differes from AI in that some human is pulling its strings and the other human player don't know it, much less the AI states.

hey 2/3 PCs and 2/3 ISP accts and one person could pull it off as he'd apear as 2/3 different people. [at least in turn mode.

The Pollutor by BigFurryMonster

A relatively small civ that cannot win anymore can seriously mess up things for other civs by allowing pollution to get out of hand.

They will suffer themselves, too, but they might just destroy the earth by this strategy.

Using AI for Obtain Advances by Lawrence of Arabia

Heres a trick I used in my SP game against the Babs.
Every nation in the world was fighting them and they were down to one city. I set my science to 0, and then contacted them to make peace. Since they were more advanced, I managed to get Rocketry and Fisson for Peace and 173 gpt. That same turn I attacked them. So I got the techs and I didn't have to pay for any of it.

Swapping Cities Reduces Unhappiness by star mouse

Exploit: When a city changes hands, the unhappiness generated by pop-rushing and drafting is halved. Two players could swap the same city three or four times to reduce rampant misery to a manageable level.

Fix: Have 1 unhappiness variable for each civ. When a city swaps back, the unhappiness for the original civ is restored, as if the civ never changed hands.

When adding unhappiness caused by drafting or pop-rushing, add 1 "unhappiness" to the variable for the current civ, and 1/2 "unhappiness" for all the others.

Mobilization for Wonders by Solver

(Removed)

Chat or No Chat: by King of Rasslin, DrFell & Oerdin

- About Chat (King of Rasslin) -

How about not being able to communicate with a player you haven't contacted yet? I think that would make expansionist more useful. Finding an ally early...

- Chat is an option (DrFell) -

There was an option for that in civ2 as well... not many people used it though as it's kinda fun to chat before meeting any players... and the players could still make contact over icq or something. Should still be an option though, I guess.

- Always Chat (Oerdin) -

I would be totally against this. What happens if a player has to go? How do you negoiate when the new start time will be? How do you remind the host to save the game? How would someone say "brb, I have a phone call"? Plus many people enjoy chating when it is not their turn.

In every good MP game the players must be able to communicate with each other...

Minimap Position by Immortal Wombat

Someone suggested a fix for that (ixnay maybe?). Each person's starting location shows up at the centre of their own mini-map. That way you have to do a fair amount of exploration before either you hit the poles, or a climate zone that you can describe.

Map Exploit by Oerdin

What do you folks think about allies, who haven't meet yet in the game, telling each other where their kingdoms are located on the map. That way they can explore their way to each other much fast, exchange maps, and jointly attack who ever is unlucky enough to be between them.

Worker Sharing by King of Rasslin

2 Civs go to "war" and share workers. If they are both industrious, it's like getting normal workers for free. The worst part is, I cannot see how they could fix this exploit

Silent Invasion by Immortal Wombat

I don't know if this will work quite like this in Civ3, but I like it when I want to kick start a war on a far away continent that's hard to reach.

- Move units out of a fairly decent, well defended, city to the next square.
- Give a city to the AI in return for another city. This gives you a beachhead in their territories. (or if the AI is harsh, and you're desperate, some gold, or their map)
- Retake the city.

Abandoning cities by DrFell

Ok, everyone wants our cities to be manageable when it's not our turn, to speed the game up in turn based mode. But, what if the 'abandon city' option were available at all times? Imagine you're being attacked in the early game by a large army. You have more cities, but he has lots of units and lots to gain by capturing your cities. What would I do in that situation? I'd wait until the last unit in every city fell, and abandon them one by one. This way he is gaining nothing (but free land) and in a 4-way that could mean he's behind all game, especially if he's on an island and can't transport those units anywhere else. Conquering would be worthless and the game would boil down to a few empires racing for wonders and down the tech tree.

To fix it? Just make it so that cities cannot be abandoned until the turn after you order them so.

Drafting/Pop rushing by DrFell

Very similar to abandon city, basically when the city gets attacked keep drafting(if it's allowed when it's not your turn) or pop rushing units. If you know you're going to lose the city, you might as well screw your opponent. The attacker inherits a size 1 city with huge unhappiness which will never be gotten rid of.

To fix it, prevent drafting except on your turn, and remove pop rushing inherited unhappiness.

Luxury Sharing by vulture

Not sure if this would work or not. If the duration of deals is negotiable, rather than fixed at 20 turns, then it might.
Civ A has a luxury (but only one source of it) that civ B wants. On Civ A's turn, he offers it to B. At the start of B's turn, the book-keeping is done, and B gets the happiness benefits. During B's turn he trades the luxury back to A. So on A's book-keeping phase, he has the luxury again. Rinse and repeat.

Obviously, takes a bit or micro-management, but if it works the net result is that at the start of each player's turn they have access to the luxury and get the happiness benefits. So 2 civs get the benefits from a single luxury resource.

This would only work in turn-based multiplayer, and might not even then (the book-keeping of happiness may happen in a different way to what I am imagining here).

Leader wars & variants by vulture

It seems to me that the best way to run these is for each side to agree to create a certain number of cheap cannon fodder units to be killed by the ally. Archers, with 20 cost, 1 defence, would seem to be ideal. Just stick them in a big stack in a designated kill zone and ley your friend attack them with whatever he wants to. A stack of 50, if attacked entirely by elites, will generate on average 3 great leaders (4 if you have the heroic epic, or whichever wonder it is that increases the odds of leader production). If you only have veterans to start with then you get a lower return of course. But 3 leaders are worth more than the 1000 shields required to build your 50 target archers in the first place, so on average both sides make a profit. As long as you have swordsmen or better for your attacking units, you won't take very many casualties from your elite force either.

A variant is to trade techs or whatever else to someone for them to produce a certain number of target archers for you to kill. This is a bit more of a gamble - they gain a tech at the cost of however many shields worth of archers you agree on, and you gain perhaps a 50% chance of a great leader, or a 50% chance of nothing in return.

Privateers Disc by notyoueither

If you turn 'Show Team Color Disc' on, you can see the owner of units with Hidden Nationality (like Privateers). No real problem in SP, but would be an issue in MP. Oh, and they misspelled 'colour'

Common cities

Some human civs create some cities with wonders. When a civ is in war, the others offer the cities to improve the battle/money of this empire during the war. After this, the empire returns the cities.

The solution could be that Alliances admit share (with an option list) the "Big" Wonders effects (when is possible, probably they aren't in the same continent) another civ. This is better because an AI can ask them as a part of an alliance.

Building Pact

A minor human civ offers to a major one to build the roads in a far area, in exchange of alliances/money/knowledges. Useful when you are the big one and everybody is in war with you.

Leader Wars

Two human players make a fake war to create Leader units. They create a "training area" with some units that fight. The idea is generate 2/3 leaders and finish the "war".

Leaders make possible to finish wonders like Forbidden Palace and build Armies (and armies allow to build small wonders like Heroic Epic). So... An amaizing strategy.

False Time Credit

Create a lot useless units (explorers for example) and you obtain more time credit.

If the time avaible is for using each unit in each moment, this strategy doesn't have any effect.

Internet Connection Attack

Using the IP of a joined player, attack the other connection by PING bombaring, this will disconnect a player in crucial moments.

Fix: Must have a Firewall, or active the one that is included in Windows XP.

(this "strategy"/"cheat" is nasty, I know)

Last edited by XarXo; October 31, 2002 at 11:28.
Old May 28, 2002, 12:13   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The "Building Pact" is not a cheat, IMO

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 28, 2002, 12:29   #3
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Keep ideas like this coming. We'd rather address them now rather than later.

Jeff
Old May 28, 2002, 14:38   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:27
Jeff- I'm not sure either of these would qualify as a cheat. More like advanced diplomacy. Humans, unlike AI, will be able to figure these things out as well as how to deal with them.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 28, 2002, 14:49   #5
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Jeff- I'm not sure either of these would qualify as a cheat. More like advanced diplomacy. Humans, unlike AI, will be able to figure these things out as well as how to deal with them.
I agree. After all that's what makes MP interesting. You never know what your neighbour has negotiated with your enemy/friend. Diplomacy will be much more complex, due to the fact that you can have oral agreements that you can break, re-negotiate, etc. at your own risk. Breaking treaties like that could have a worse effect than breaking the ones that you can establish with the AI.
It gets particularly interesting, when you play against people over the internet and you don't actually know your game partners.
Old May 28, 2002, 15:10   #6
XarXo
Prince

Yes, "Building Pact" can't be seen as a cheat. I believe that I missed the thread title. It should be: "Interesting Strategies".

EDIT: Check the first post for a list of the thread strategies.

Last edited by XarXo; May 28, 2002 at 16:36.
Old May 28, 2002, 16:20   #7
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 03:27
ABOUT LEADER WARS:

I dont'd think the training area would be worth the number of units killed/leader. In a game with at LOT of war when I'm MILITARISTIC and have BUILT Heroic Epic i create 3-6 leaders.
Old May 28, 2002, 16:34   #8
XarXo
Prince

I had 2 leaders in 2 short wars (in the same game, before patch 1.21f), and I wasn't militaristic.

Their apperance have a lot of random factors, but imagine two militaristic civs fighting...
Old May 28, 2002, 17:03   #9
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 03:27
I guess we have to try it out after release but I don't think it'll be very effective.

BTW: How about a communist nation that build roads/railroads, irrigates, mines and defends a democracy that goes 100% tech.
Old May 28, 2002, 18:44   #10
XarXo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
I guess we have to try it out after release but I don't think it'll be very effective.
We have to think in what we have in the actual Civ III + 1.21f patch. It's only a patch, no an enterely new game.

Building Pact and Common Cities were strategies used in Civ II MGE, all that you have to do is think in a common MP game rules/possibilities and apply them in the Civ III specifics, that's all.
Old May 28, 2002, 21:54   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I've seen this mentioned before by someone else, but I'll repeat it here to make sure it gets noticed.

If you turn 'Show Team Color Disc' on, you can see the owner of units with Hidden Nationality (like Privateers). No real problem in SP, but would be an issue in MP. Oh, and they misspelled 'colour'
Old May 28, 2002, 23:27   #12
Oerdin
Deity

In CTP2 multiplayer you'd find all sorts of secret alliances, double crosses, & backstabs. It's what made the game interesting and as long as players can chat with each other both publicly and privitely then I don't see how it can be stopped.

I'd even go so far as to say the game would be boring if they did try to stop it. I want MP to add the human factor in not try to turn it into another version of SP.
Old May 29, 2002, 01:16   #13
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

If there is any sort of win/loss/draw record, you can bet it will be abused by people who create a game with 15 humans and one comp.....

The backstabbers will likely be one of teh biggest annoyances, especially if the relation ship is as posted earlier, a communist nation defending a creating infrastructre for a democratic 100% tech nation, the communist nation could simply decide to take out the democratic one. I think that there should be some method to make diplomatic agreements more binding besides just not having the computer like you as much.
Old May 29, 2002, 03:10   #14
Cesa
Chieftain

Re: The First Cheat-Strategies For Civ III: PtW
Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
Common cities:

Some human civs create some cities with wonders. When a civ is in war, the others offer the cities to improve the battle/money of this empire during the war. After this, the empire returns the cities.

The solution could be that Alliances admit share (with an option list) the "Big" Wonders effects (when is possible, probably they aren't in the same continent) another civ. This is better because an AI can ask them as a part of an alliance.
One has to be really good friends with someone to pull this of. What if your opponent simply refuses to give the city back to you?? I wouldn't risk it. I've never played MP (in Civ2 or SMAC that is), do people really dare to use this kind of advanced diplomacy?
Old May 29, 2002, 04:43   #15
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Leader wars - and variants

It seems to me that the best way to run these is for each side to agree to create a certain number of cheap cannon fodder units to be killed by the ally. Archers, with 20 cost, 1 defence, would seem to be ideal. Just stick them in a big stack in a designated kill zone and ley your friend attack them with whatever he wants to. A stack of 50, if attacked entirely by elites, will generate on average 3 great leaders (4 if you have the heroic epic, or whichever wonder it is that increases the odds of leader production). If you only have veterans to start with then you get a lower return of course. But 3 leaders are worth more than the 1000 shields required to build your 50 target archers in the first place, so on average both sides make a profit. As long as you have swordsmen or better for your attacking units, you won't take very many casualties from your elite force either.

A variant is to trade techs or whatever else to someone for them to produce a certain number of target archers for you to kill. This is a bit more of a gamble - they gain a tech at the cost of however many shields worth of archers you agree on, and you gain perhaps a 50% chance of a great leader, or a 50% chance of nothing in return.
Old May 29, 2002, 05:03   #16
vulture
King

LUXURY SHARING

Not sure if this would work or not. If the duration of deals is negotiable, rather than fixed at 20 turns, then it might.
Civ A has a luxury (but only one source of it) that civ B wants. On Civ A's turn, he offers it to B. At the start of B's turn, the book-keeping is done, and B gets the happiness benefits. During B's turn he trades the luxury back to A. So on A's book-keeping phase, he has the luxury again. Rinse and repeat.

Obviously, takes a bit or micro-management, but if it works the net result is that at the start of each player's turn they have access to the luxury and get the happiness benefits. So 2 civs get the benefits from a single luxury resource.

This would only work in turn-based multiplayer, and might not even then (the book-keeping of happiness may happen in a different way to what I am imagining here).
Old May 29, 2002, 05:14   #17
Adm.Naismith
King

Can't you only trade resources that you have in excess, i.e. more than one?

May be I'm so down today my memory is totally flat and off...
Old May 29, 2002, 06:06   #18
vulture
King

If you only have 1 dyes, you will see Dyes (0) listed under your luxuries on the trade negotiations screen. You can click on this to offer it in trade. You can also ask for the AI's resources that it has no surplus of, although it really isn't going to give them to you.
Old May 29, 2002, 06:43   #19
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:27
To Jeff: when dealing with those issues, please don't try to make them all impossible... we *will* have to rely on players' fairness, too. However, I think MP modes must include a lock teams options, having pre-set teams that allies can't declare war on each other.

I think it's obvious that allies will share all of the resources and luxuries, but it's worrying, to me. Imagine a game with 3 allies on one side. All three try to perform a good land-grab right until the middle of the Middle Ages, so that they have many luxuries. Considering there are only 8 luxury resources, those 3 civs will probably have control of all, thus trading, and 20 happy faces for EACH city - very little unhappiness problems and lots of WLT*D, no?

Hell, I've played an SP game on a O shaped continent with just one middle size island being away from it - and there I controlled six luxuries in the Middle Ages, just due to lots of place to colonize. And had lots of celebrations, obviously.
Old May 29, 2002, 09:42   #20
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Here is what I put in my (similar) thread:

1 - Abandoning cities
Ok, everyone wants our cities to be manageable when it's not our turn, to speed the game up in turn based mode. But, what if the 'abandon city' option were available at all times? Imagine you're being attacked in the early game by a large army. You have more cities, but he has lots of units and lots to gain by capturing your cities. What would I do in that situation? I'd wait until the last unit in every city fell, and abandon them one by one. This way he is gaining nothing (but free land) and in a 4-way that could mean he's behind all game, especially if he's on an island and can't transport those units anywhere else. Conquering would be worthless and the game would boil down to a few empires racing for wonders and down the tech tree.

To fix it? Just make it so that cities cannot be abandoned until the turn after you order them so.

2 - Drafting/Pop rushing
Very similar to abandon city, basically when the city gets attacked keep drafting(if it's allowed when it's not your turn) or pop rushing units. If you know you're going to lose the city, you might as well screw your opponent. The attacker inherits a size 1 city with huge unhappiness which will never be gotten rid of.

To fix it, prevent drafting except on your turn, and remove pop rushing inherited unhappiness.
Old May 29, 2002, 09:45   #21
XarXo
Prince

Re: Re: The First Cheat-Strategies For Civ III: PtW
Quote:
Originally posted by Cesa
One has to be really good friends with someone to pull this of. What if your opponent simply refuses to give the city back to you?? I wouldn't risk it. I've never played MP (in Civ2 or SMAC that is), do people really dare to use this kind of advanced diplomacy?
In Civ2 MGE I used this a couple of times. The idea is build each wonder in a different city, but the best possibility (the one that I used) is to group them in specific cities, so "militar" ones here, "money" ones in this one, etc...
Old May 29, 2002, 09:52   #22
DrFell
King

Re: Re: The First Cheat-Strategies For Civ III: PtW
Quote:
Originally posted by Cesa

Well, unless the city was for some reason a long way from your core cities, it would be really easy for you to take it back. Most wonder cities will be located in your productive core. And when you swap cities round it becomes undefended. So I wouldn't be afraid of that kind of betrayal. Unless the city was coastal and he had a couple ships full of pikemen or whatever just off your coastline.

In civ2, I never used to do the city/wonder swap and most people considered it a cheat, although officially there was nothing stopping you from doing it.
Old May 29, 2002, 10:49   #23
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I don't know if this will work quite like this in Civ3, but I like it when I want to kick start a war on a far away continent that's hard to reach.

- Move units out of a fairly decent, well defended, city to the next square.
- Give a city to the AI in return for another city. This gives you a beachhead in their territories. (or if the AI is harsh, and you're desperate, some gold, or their map)
- Retake the city.
Old May 29, 2002, 10:59   #24
XarXo
Prince

The idea of the thread is how will change the game with Humans in place of AI, what new cheat/strategies can be made and how to improve the AI to avoid them.

In the case of the past post (Immortal Wombat one) we can see a dangerous strategy for attack newbies. The advisor MUST advise to the player that this kind of things are dangerous, not only say if this will be acceptable for the AI or not.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:17   #25
Oerdin
Deity

After a game or two even a newbie will begin to figure these things out. The truly good part about playing MP is that a human can figure out that two other civs are working togeather and rally the other civs against the plotters.

This diplomacy is the main reason I play MP games; if Firaxis tries to block or curtail a player's ability to carry out diplomacy then it will be like driving a steak through the heart of MP games. Why play MP if it is exactly like SP?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:23   #26
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixPhlame73
The backstabbers will likely be one of teh biggest annoyances.
Your acting like backstabbing would be a bad thing. On the contrary it keeps the game fluid and interesting. It leaves you always wondering if you can trust your ally or not and leads people to do things that they would other wise not do. I've played many a game of CTP2 where I was losing against an enemy alliance but ended up winning after one of the allies attacked the other. If the game had alliances locked then I would have been dead... period.

Trying to figure out who is working with whom and how loyal they are is the heart of any good MP game. If you don't believe me try playing the old board game "Diplomacy" for a while.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:31   #27
Cesa
Chieftain

Re: Re: Re: The First Cheat-Strategies For Civ III: PtW
Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell

Well, unless the city was for some reason a long way from your core cities, it would be really easy for you to take it back. Most wonder cities will be located in your productive core. And when you swap cities round it becomes undefended. So I wouldn't be afraid of that kind of betrayal. Unless the city was coastal and he had a couple ships full of pikemen or whatever just off your coastline.

In civ2, I never used to do the city/wonder swap and most people considered it a cheat, although officially there was nothing stopping you from doing it.
He/she (your former ally) could simply abandon the city just so you can't get the wonder back.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:51   #28
DrFell
King

Hehe, I forgot about that. But I'd exact a campaign of revenge against such a backstabbing ally anyway. Normally though, the only allies I would give cities to would be my parter in a team game - where alliances are set from the beginning. This BTW is the only state of the game where 'alliance locking' would be beneficial. Anyone who pulls a stunt like that in a team/tribe game would end up getting a worse reputation in the game as a whole anyway (I've never heard of it happening when civ2 tribes were still being played, although one guy quit halfway through a tribe game, he got booted out the tribe etc.), so I wouldn't be too worried.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:55   #29
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

backstabbing

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 30, 2002, 10:02   #30
XarXo
Prince

backstabbing