Old May 30, 2002, 19:23   #31
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 19:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
backstabbing

This gets me thinking, it would be pretty sweet if the AI had the sense to know when it would be a good time to backstab an ally. I bet that'd be hard to program...
Old May 30, 2002, 21:23   #32
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
backstabbing
Aww come on, it's part of MP. I mean, if you expect people to act like AIs you should only be playing SP.
Old May 31, 2002, 09:15   #33
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 01:27
Quote:
Aww come on, it's part of MP. I mean, if you expect people to act like AIs you should only be playing SP.
I want an AI at the same level of a human player, but, my idea of playing with friends is for chat during the game. And, of course, backstabbing MUST be avaible, I'm only saying that is something that (of course) dislike.
Old May 31, 2002, 10:00   #34
King of Rasslin
Prince

WORKER SHARING!!!

2 Civs go to "war" and share workers. If they are both industrious, it's like getting normal workers for free. The worst part is, I cannot see how they could fix this exploit
Old May 31, 2002, 10:32   #35
DrFell
King

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo

I want an AI at the same level of a human player, but, my idea of playing with friends is for chat during the game. And, of course, backstabbing MUST be avaible, I'm only saying that is something that (of course) dislike.
Perhaps I'm sadistic, but I like friends backstabbing occasionally It's only a bit of fun and nothing personal. Helps give the game a tenser atmosphere.
Old May 31, 2002, 15:51   #36
XarXo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
Perhaps I'm sadistic, but I like friends backstabbing occasionally It's only a bit of fun and nothing personal. Helps
give the game a tenser atmosphere.
My idea of a good game is when I am in a far-in-sea and large continent, alone, building a civ style Atlantis (knowledges, give me mo'!!) and present to the others as the "living legend" (or "living nightmare" wohoohohoooooo ).

Well, the continent is not large enough as be considered as cheating.
Old May 31, 2002, 16:52   #37
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:27
What do you folks think about allies, who haven't meet yet in the game, telling each other where their kingdoms are located on the map. That way they can explore their way to each other much fast, exchange maps, and jointly attack who ever is unlucky enough to be between them.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 31, 2002, 18:00   #38
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

hmm...oerdin i agree that because now mapsharing requires mapmaking (unlike civ2) that would count as a cheat. Seems impossible to fix though...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 31, 2002, 19:42   #39
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Someone suggested a fix for that (ixnay maybe?). Each person's starting location shows up at the centre of their own mini-map. That way you have to do a fair amount of exploration before either you hit the poles, or a climate zone that you can describe.
Old May 31, 2002, 20:04   #40
DrFell
King

It's not really a big cheat. I think it's bad enough they took out the map coordinates. Team games would suck if you had to explore for half the game to even find each other. Anyway, this kind of stuff was never a serious problem in civ2. If you can do it to someone else, they can do it to you. All part of the skill level.
Old May 31, 2002, 21:48   #41
Oerdin
Deity

I agree it wouldn't be serious but...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 31, 2002, 21:54   #42
DrFell
King

Those kind of rules would probably be better left for the players to decide, rather than offering an in-game fix... of course it would be ok if they made any 'fixes' for the problem optional.
Old June 1, 2002, 00:45   #43
King of Rasslin
Prince

How about not being able to communicate with a player you haven't contacted yet? I think that would make expansionist more useful. Finding an ally early...
Old June 1, 2002, 07:01   #44
DrFell
King

There was an option for that in civ2 as well... not many people used it though as it's kinda fun to chat before meeting any players... and the players could still make contact over icq or something. Should still be an option though, I guess.
Old June 1, 2002, 19:44   #45
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by King of Rasslin
How about not being able to communicate with a player you haven't contacted yet? I think that would make expansionist more useful. Finding an ally early...
I would be totally against this. What happens if a player has to go? How do you negoiate when the new start time will be? How do you remind the host to save the game? How would someone say "brb, I have a phone call"? Plus many people enjoy chating when it is not their turn.

In every good MP game the players must be able to communicate with each other...
Old June 2, 2002, 20:34   #46
wrylachlan
Prince

Quote:
WORKER SHARING!!!

2 Civs go to "war" and share workers. If they are both industrious, it's like getting normal workers for free. The worst part is, I cannot see how they could fix this exploit
Have a peace agreement automatically cause captured workers to return "home". But only as many as the nation with the fewest has i.e Germany and France are at war. Germany has captured 10 French workers, and France has captured 5 German workers. When they sign a peace treaty the five German workers return to Berlin, and in exchange 5 French workers return to Paris. Germany would still keep 5 French workers.

I think this would be fair and totally fix the exploit. And it would still allow you to ransom captured workers at the end of a war as long as you captured more than your enemy did.
Old June 2, 2002, 21:12   #47
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 21:27
Quote:
How about not being able to communicate with a player you haven't contacted yet? I think that would make expansionist more useful. Finding an ally early
AIM\ICQ....while its someone elses turn,they could alt-tab out and talk that way.but i havnt used alt-tab yet in-game,so i dont know if it works or not...

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old June 2, 2002, 21:14   #48
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 21:27
Quote:
Have a peace agreement automatically cause captured workers to return "home". But only as many as the nation with the fewest has i.e Germany and France are at war. Germany has captured 10 French workers, and France has captured 5 German workers. When they sign a peace treaty the five German workers return to Berlin, and in exchange 5 French workers return to Paris. Germany would still keep 5 French workers.

I think this would be fair and totally fix the exploit. And it would still allow you to ransom captured workers at the end of a war as long as you captured more than your enemy did
stay at war permenatlly?

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old June 3, 2002, 04:23   #49
King of Rasslin
Prince

There should be a world wonder that gets rid of slavery. They had one in Call to Power. Civ 3 needs more imaginitive ideas like that. Alpha Centauri was the best, though.
Old June 3, 2002, 09:17   #50
wrylachlan
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Cataphract887

stay at war permenatlly?
You wouldn't want to do that because then you couldn't trade techs, you couldn't trade resources, and you couldn't use their roads. The advantage of worker sharing during war is far outweighed by the loss of trading options.
Old June 3, 2002, 10:43   #51
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Cataphract887

AIM\ICQ....while its someone elses turn,they could alt-tab out and talk that way.but i havnt used alt-tab yet in-game,so i dont know if it works or not...
It does work, as long as you don't have minimized it to the tray.

In case you did that already, there's a work around (at least for WindowsNT/2000): Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and choose the task manager. When you do this, the taskbar and tray become visible and you can select yahoo/aim/icq from there.
Old June 3, 2002, 10:47   #52
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:27
Why not just press the Windows Key to get the Taskbar visible?
Old June 3, 2002, 10:53   #53
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Why not just press the Windows Key to get the Taskbar visible?

I never use the windows key, so that's why I missed that one...
Apparently it was too obvious
Old June 3, 2002, 11:19   #54
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Hehe, yeah . Just that it works under all Windows version, Windows 9x included.

BTW, I once was called to repair a PC without a Windows key... took two hours, but I suffered hard, since I use it all the time.
Old June 3, 2002, 19:23   #55
aebrahim
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Hehe, yeah . Just that it works under all Windows version, Windows 9x included.

BTW, I once was called to repair a PC without a Windows key... took two hours, but I suffered hard, since I use it all the time.
Press Ctrl+Esc and you get the same effect as having pressed the Windows key. The only catch is that the two-key combinations like Windows+E to load Explorer don't work with Ctrl+Esc+E.
Old June 4, 2002, 07:07   #56
Solver
lifer
Deity

That's the problem, and I use Windows+R more than you click your mouse .
Old June 4, 2002, 09:31   #57
XarXo
Prince

Wei hei hei! Really interesting Windows tutorial, but please be aware of these Off-Topic themes. To everbody that is here, read the Thread Title.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: IN THE FIRST POST THERE IS A BRIEF VERSION OF THE ENTIRE THREAD.

Last edited by XarXo; June 4, 2002 at 15:25.
Old June 6, 2002, 14:00   #58
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
There should be a world wonder that gets rid of slavery. They had one in Call to Power. Civ 3 needs more imaginitive ideas like that. Alpha Centauri was the best, though.
I agree. There are so many good ideas in CTP2 that the designers of Civ3 didn't even come close to. I honestly think the best way to improve Civ3 would be to lock the design team in a room and force them to play CTP2 for a week.
Old June 7, 2002, 09:28   #59
Solver
lifer
Deity

Another one: using Mobilization for Wonders.

Say, I'm having a race for a certain Wonder with another Civ, and I really really want it first. A good example could be the Hoover Dam. So, I declare war on my ally and switch to War-Time mobilization. The city will continue to build the Wonder, and I will receive a pretty strong production bonus.

Same goes for building Spaceship during the Space Race.

Possible solution: restrict Wonders during mobilization?

OK, I know Firaxians are reading this thread, so posts here will be coming to their attention.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:48   #60
King of Rasslin
Prince

I'm with Solver here. Using mobilization to rush wonders (esp. Hoover, maybe ToE) is just plain wrong.