Old June 28, 2002, 20:03   #91
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bad0cat
4) For multiplayer, I think nukes need to be reworked as far as effects, cost, and functionality. I can already see this scenario playing out way too often:

-build butt loads of ICBMS

-rush tech to Intergrated Defense

-without warning launch a full scale strike on the same
turn you complete SDI wonder (use a leader to rush
build if possible), thus taking out your closest
opponent (or closest 2....or 3)

-procede with ease to the space race victory

Sure this would mean a nasty reprisal from your opponents but you've got SDI so you would come out on top 99% of the time.

Don't get me wrong - I love the nuclear aspect of CIV but this seems like a can't-lose strategy in multiplayer that virtually everyone will end up trying for. Thoughts?
I think you overlook the fact that while you are going for tech as fast as possible, so will others, and you also overlook the possibility of getting crushed early by a swordsman rush. Yes, if you can get SDI and a bunch of nukes before everyone else, you'll probably win, but getting it all before someone else does...now there is your challenge.
Old June 29, 2002, 11:33   #92
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:27
Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo

That's is. For a human player use nukes doesn't matter, is only a game, but AI has a programation that says "your planet will disappear, be careful, don't use them". The solution for this is that the AI player *must* use nuclear weapons when a human player does it. As cold as a human one. But well, this should be in the personality of each leader (militaristic: nuke'm all! religious: nuke'm all, in the name of God )...
hi ,

, only one catch ; "global warming" , ...

we should have the ability to turn that on or off , ...

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 12:07   #93
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bad0cat
I can already see this scenario playing out way too often:

-build butt loads of ICBMS

-rush tech to Intergrated Defense

-without warning launch a full scale strike on the same
turn you complete SDI wonder (use a leader to rush
build if possible), thus taking out your closest
opponent (or closest 2....or 3)
And what's wrong with this scenario? That's my favorite strategy against the AI now. Why wouldn't it work against humans? (Actually, I like to time my first strike just before they get Integrated Defense)

Panang's right about the global warming, though. The games I did this in usually ended up as desert worlds.
Old June 29, 2002, 12:13   #94
WarpStorm
King

The biggest flaw with most of these strategies is you are assuming that your opponent (or ally) is not an evil, backstabbing, super-intelligent, bastard who wants to win the game more than you.

For nuclear counter-strike do what is done in real life, Nuke Subs. SDI only says it only stops ICBMs. Hide a few subs out there for revenge. Nailing all of your opponent's coastal cities will really make his day.
Old June 29, 2002, 12:33   #95
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
The biggest flaw with most of these strategies is you are assuming that your opponent (or ally) is not an evil, backstabbing, super-intelligent, bastard who wants to win the game more than you.

For nuclear counter-strike do what is done in real life, Nuke Subs. SDI only says it only stops ICBMs. Hide a few subs out there for revenge. Nailing all of your opponent's coastal cities will really make his day.
hi ,

its always nice , in civ2 , and soon in civ3 when in MP , to nuke a complete carrier group , .....

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 13:58   #96
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
This doesn't actually work

I just tried it.
Old June 29, 2002, 15:09   #97
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

This doesn't actually work

I just tried it.
hi ,

, what you mean it does not work , explain it a bit more , .....

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 20:57   #98
XarXo
Prince

Could be great that ICBMs and the rest of missiles could be oriented and pointed to a city or area and when you press a RED BUTTON all them start to nuke everything

Also, a spy mission could be show the pointed areas.
Old July 8, 2002, 12:49   #99
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:27
Quote:

And what's wrong with this scenario? That's my favorite strategy against the AI now. Why wouldn't it work against humans? (Actually, I like to time my first strike just before they get Integrated Defense)
There is nothing wrong with it against the AI in my opinion. In that case it is your choice. But many of us did not like it in CTP MP at all. The reason: you struggled hours on a very interesting, balanced game. One got and build nukes first and whoops, game over in 1 turn.

I did that once and regretted soooo much to have spoiled a perfect game that we decided just not to use nukes anymore. Problem solved.
Old July 12, 2002, 05:07   #100
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 19:27
Actually last I checked SDI only stops 3 in 4 nukes anyways And I'm also almost sure a nuke can't kill a nuke, but I won't swear to it. I know the few times ive tried to a nuke a city with an ICBM in it, it ended up with no defenders and still an ICBM in it :P

Also, Ive never actually managed to get SDI before finishing my space ship if I was going for a space victory.
Old July 13, 2002, 04:45   #101
Taso_84
Chieftain

i agree with warpstorms strategy against nukes. PtW should be made so that SDI can only stop ICBMs and not strategic nukes.

They also need to fix up a llot of stuff with air units and cruise missiles.

1. Cruise missiles should be a type of air unit that has a large range (6-10 tiles) and can be stored on criuses and AEGIS cruises. Once the technology of ICBM's is discovered, the cruise missile should be able to be fired anywhere in the world, just like an ICBM. The attack of a cruise missile should not be based on bombardment but rather like a conventional attack so that units can be destroyed by them. Its more realistic that way.

2. Jet Fighters are completely useless currently. In CTP2 u caould bombard the crap out of your opponent then finish him with interceptors. The bombard ability of jet fighters should be abolished and instead a new option like "strike" should be introduced where the jet fighters can attack and kill the enemy units. Otherwise they are useless and think about it; in real life jet fighters are used for more that just protection from bombers.

3. Aircraft carriers should be able to carry at leat 5 units and when attacked, fighters or jet fighters should be able to help the carrier defend itself. Obviouslly the defensive values of the fighters will be considerably weaker than the attack. This would stop the scenario where battleship can easily kill aircraft carriers. In WW2 we saw the battleships become obscelete due to carriers so its a bit stupid how easily they can be killed in civ3

If they fix these 3 things up then civ3 might be worth playing up to and beyond the emergence of the modern age
Old July 18, 2002, 12:53   #102
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 17:27
Heres a trick I used in my SP game against the Babs.
Every nation in the world was fighting them and they were down to one city. I set my science to 0, and then contacted them to make peace. Since they were more advanced, I managed to get Rocketry and Fisson for Peace and 173 gpt. That same turn I attacked them. So I got the techs and I didn't have to pay for any of it.
Old July 22, 2002, 07:19   #103
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

~ tech sharing ~

With two or three civs working together that share all their techs, the tech race will become incredibly fast.

This isn't an issue in SinglePlayer, because you are never going to share ALL your techs with the AI - maybe onyl just a few. In many cases, one civ is a bit larger (faster with techs) than the other, and will stop sharing. With teams of humans that really know and trust each other, this =will= be a problem.

A solution? Maybe only allow tech trade between civs that have a trade route, so that other players can block this. Furthermore, trading will not take place between two civs that are far away and 'middle man' strategies will become viable.

Is there a way to ensure that "friends" will not be next to each other..? Maybe keep track of a list of players that have already played games together, or check the IP numbers...
Old July 22, 2002, 07:26   #104
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

~ the pollutor ~

A relatively small civ that cannot win anymore can seriously mess up things for other civs by allowing pollution to get out of hand.

They will suffer themselves, too, but they might just destroy the earth by this strategy.
Old July 23, 2002, 13:22   #105
bad0cat
Chieftain

Quote:
~ tech sharing ~

With two or three civs working together that share all their techs, the tech race will become incredibly fast.

This isn't an issue in SinglePlayer, because you are never going to share ALL your techs with the AI - maybe onyl just a few. In many cases, one civ is a bit larger (faster with techs) than the other, and will stop sharing. With teams of humans that really know and trust each other, this =will= be a problem.
Two things:
First, I don't see this as a "cheat" or abuse. Sharing technology with other civs is a totally viable strategy, what difference does it make if they are your freinds?

Second, you forget that eventually only ONE person can win the game. That's the nice thing about multi-player Civ. Everyone knows that all treaties and alliances are ultimately temporary.

I can maybe see some problems caused by two buddies helping eachother out over the course of the game but tech sharing is not one of them.

Quote:
~ the pollutor ~

A relatively small civ that cannot win anymore can seriously mess up things for other civs by allowing pollution to get out of hand.

They will suffer themselves, too, but they might just destroy the earth by this strategy.
Again, I fail to see why this is a bad thing. This adds extra elements of strategy to the game. In single player, you didnt have to worry about Civs who you had greatly surpassed (either by expansion/tech or in conquest). But a human player who is far behind can still be a serious thorn in your side (or everyone's side). In multiplayer, I fear not the CIV with 50 ICBM's... I fear the CIV with one sub and 1 nuke.
Old August 2, 2002, 03:03   #106
hahntsak
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

similar to the mutual 'battle training' area cheat mentioned earlier, in multiplayer, where 2 or more players know each other: fodder civilizations, possibly ran by a (robot) thatcould build conquerone flank and give stuff to the 'parent' state.
this is one of the oldest forms of multiplayer cheat. it works within the game as another player [sep node/internet acct]
example
charlie has his friends jake and ted whoop on some guy in germany and a bloke in london: ted and jake play civs in same theater charlie. in game chat is irrelevant as they can utilize 3rd party chat utility. they can contact each other quicker [sending screen shots of location], then form flanks, have brief 'wag the gog' wars to get leaders, and otherwise share their resources freely orflowingstraight to charlie's state. when other civs deal with any of them they get the raw deal from all of them especially when knownto be human and particularly when they are known to be that german and brit that they aim to cream. they form mutual defense and right of passage aggreements asap.

their nationalities could be same jake could be in the uk,ted in spain and contacted via email by charlie to whoop up on the guy nextdoor [for a personal grudge].
same method.
the fodder part comes when an ivading army comes in the weaker 2 give every city over to the stronger one and all cash too. the new combined nation fed off its fodder and the lesser states only retain their capitols.
these contain their only military.
but taking these cities out gives little payoff to the victor as the money washauledoff and as the gobbling state may lose a few it suddenly has huge increase and bigger purse.
this cheat has been used time and time again....
the idea of dummy accts to form a 'fallguy' player in a game is not new.
anybody got a robot or can make one? anybody evergonna admit it.

note a robot differes from AI in that some human is pulling its strings and the other human player don't know it, much less the AI states.

hey 2/3 PCs and 2/3 ISP accts and one person could pull it off as he'd apear as 2/3 different people. [at least in turn mode.
Old August 4, 2002, 11:05   #107
XarXo
Prince

Updated the list of cheats and strategies.
Check the first post to see them.
Old August 4, 2002, 11:17   #108
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
Updated the list of cheats and strategies.
Check the first post to see them.
hi ,

thanks
good work

have a nice day
Old August 8, 2002, 12:01   #109
XarXo
Prince

False Time Credit

Create a lot useless units (explorers for example) and you obtain more time credit.

If the time avaible is for using each unit in each moment, this strategy doesn't have any effect.

Internet Connection Attack

Using the IP of a joined player, attack the other connection by PING bombaring, this will disconnect a player in crucial moments.

Fix: Must have a Firewall, or active the one that is included in Windows XP.

(this "strategy" is nasty, I know)

Last edited by XarXo; August 8, 2002 at 12:08.
Old August 9, 2002, 12:25   #110
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

~ Helping each other across multiple games ~

People who are often playing together, might starting to help each other in the following way: in game A, player 1 helps player 2 to win (at his own expense) and in game B vice versa. This can really upset other players playing in only one of the games.
Old August 13, 2002, 19:57   #111
hahntsak
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

yeah that's where my fodder cheat comes in [used in SRE/ L.O.R.D. / etc door games by users of many bbs before internet. i seen so many fake names call in right after another [same person]. newbies that attacked bigger power to make it bigger [fake newbie died quick] after a while they used more fake names [cosysops were notorious about "verifying" fodder IDs].
hahn tsak
formerly of Raisa Pleasure Planet BBS [then i was in Wash DC Area. [where everybody was at least trying to do almost everybody else, consenting of course]
Old August 14, 2002, 02:23   #112
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

~ Gold Parking ~

When you're attacked, and have lots of gold, you could give away all of it to a friend, before the enemy comes in and takes it by capturing your city. After the threat is gone, the friend could give it back.
Old August 14, 2002, 23:57   #113
hahntsak
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
~ Gold Parking ~

When you're attacked, and have lots of gold, you could give away all of it to a friend, before the enemy comes in and takes it by capturing your city. After the threat is gone, the friend could give it back.
commoncheat in s.r.e. was group sending invasion army in a tradedeal... sneaky as trade deals were in shipment and couldn't be subject to attack] ... trading workers around... money.... cities...
Old August 15, 2002, 14:02   #114
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

in the above post's there are so-called "cheats" that actually are not cheats , its stuff that would happen in real live also , ....

but the real Q is , what is the definition of a "cheat" , ....

have a nice day
Old August 15, 2002, 15:35   #115
XarXo
Prince

This thread is about Cheats, Strategies and Cheat-Strategies.

The idea of strategy is not the typical one, must be one very simple but not evident (not based especially in the game, like "obtain X resource" or "discover Y knowledge"). That's all.

Get fun!

Last edited by XarXo; August 15, 2002 at 19:42.
Old August 19, 2002, 11:42   #116
XarXo
Prince

Updated the First Post with all the new ideas.
Included a small ranking of "Lucent Brains"

Last edited by XarXo; August 21, 2002 at 16:22.
Old August 21, 2002, 05:57   #117
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

when a unit has "hidden nationality" and you are with that unit near an other AI , that civ can contact you , ....this exploit , bug or cheat from the AI is one that should be fixed , ...

have a nice day
Old August 21, 2002, 15:38   #118
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

This is pretty small cheat but you get out of a war-time by doing a "war" with a parther and geting peace.
Old September 25, 2002, 12:11   #119
WarpStorm
King

False time credit won't work in all cases. The clock increases for all players in Simultaneous play. In addition, depending on your gov't form you may be paying good gold for those useless units upkeep.
Old September 25, 2002, 22:49   #120
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

i thinkmost of the 'cheating' discussed here isnt really.. cheating, but 'cheap' play.. especially ones that involve two players scheming... thats just all cheap plays...