Old May 28, 2002, 17:17   #1
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How will stacked movement work ?
Since I've seen the turnless mode, in the 18Mb video, I wonder what Firaxis will implement in order to make the interface more efficient.
My main questions are for stacked movement. I think stacked movement will allow to make groups of various units, pretty much like an RTS. I wonder if there will be group numbers : when you press "1", the group you designed as "group 1" is automatically activated without you needing to select the units again.
That would be great in fast paced games.

I also wonder if the groups will be limited in size (say, no more than 9 units being stacked), or if the stack will be limitless like the one with J key.

Last, I wonder if we'll have a kind of stacked attack : not like CTP where the composition of the stack mattered (you had to put range units behind), but simply giving one attack order to the stack makes the combatting units all attack one by one. In a sense, there is a stacked defense (the best defender of a group of units automatically defends the whole stack). I wonder why there shouldn't be stacked attack in the same way.

Edit : BTW Jeff, when will you be able to disclose new info about the XP ? We reaaaaly want to know who's the 8th Civ

Last edited by Spiffor; May 28, 2002 at 17:28.
Old May 29, 2002, 06:00   #2
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: How will stacked movement work ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Last, I wonder if we'll have a kind of stacked attack : not like CTP where the composition of the stack mattered (you had to put range units behind), but simply giving one attack order to the stack makes the combatting units all attack one by one. In a sense, there is a stacked defense (the best defender of a group of units automatically defends the whole stack). I wonder why there shouldn't be stacked attack in the same way.
It seems logical you give order to the whole stack, but considering that Armies already exist, I suppose that every attacking or defending units in a stack will fight to death before swithing to the next unit available (not as in Armies, where a damaged unit is switched by a fresh one until available.)