View Poll Results: To resolve no City-Planner and no VP...
President shall appoint them from willing candidates 7 35.00%
A special election shall be held by self-nomination 6 30.00%
A special election shall by held by drafting candidates (willing or not) 1 5.00%
The Banana gets both jobs 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28, 2002, 17:51   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No City-Planner, No VP...
What shall we do. We need both positions. Shall I seek candidates for both (remembering that I brought you VP MWIA) or shall we do without, or shall we have a Special Election? If no candidates are selected, I will have to do their jobs myself. I am full willing, but the whole point of this is diversity.

So, how shall we decide?
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 28, 2002, 17:57   #2
cavebear
Emperor

It's a 2 day poll...

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 28, 2002, 17:59   #3
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
It's a 2 day poll...

Banana = "do without"

Old May 28, 2002, 18:02   #4
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Hmmm. Every month, another scenario unforeseen in our previous musings. (Note to self: This is why a constitution with teeth makes no sense!)

I suggest we nominate the runners-up in the two contested races to test their mettle in these gigs. At least they've shown some freaking interest!!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 28, 2002, 18:05   #5
cavebear
Emperor

Those would be my prime candidates...

Old May 28, 2002, 18:56   #6
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As I seem to be loosing the election for SMC, I would be interested in the job
Old May 28, 2002, 19:52   #7
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 19:31
What I'd like to know is why the heck there aren't any polls up for Imperial Expansion! I thought the results for the combination poll would be implemented in the next elections.

Maybe we should go ahead and put those up, since MWIA seems to be asleep.
Old May 28, 2002, 21:02   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

MWIA didn't put up imperial expansion because of the poll of whether or not to merge it with city planner.

I can't vote in this poll. The VP should be appointed but the city planner should have a special election by self-nomination, and if no one is willing, support of two people to draft candidates.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 28, 2002, 21:03   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:31
I vote banana; VP (duh) and city-planner (not so duh) are pretty redundant anyway.
Old May 28, 2002, 21:07   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

no! city planner is very impoortant! VP maybe not, but MWIA has turned it into an important administrative position that doesn't make decisions on how the game is run but does stuff about how the democracy works (ie constitution, merging city planner and imperial expansion, etc)

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old May 28, 2002, 22:20   #11
timmy2tone69
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:31
Civman2000 right! city planner is of prime importance. I think that runners up for contested positions should be put into the running for this position. If they are willing of course. As far as VP again civman2000 is right mwia has made this an equally important position. Its a jack of all trades job that should be filled by a senior player who has held at least one position in the cabinet before.
Old May 28, 2002, 22:28   #12
civman2000
Emperor

Currently it is 4 for leaving them unclaimed, 3 for appointment, and 1 for selfnomination elections. However, for the city planner there should be one more vote for selfnominated elections and for the VP there should be a 4th appointment vote (my votes because they are split).

Old May 28, 2002, 23:08   #13
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

So who the hell is in the cabinet as of now?!?!
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old May 28, 2002, 23:53   #14
Space05us
King

Local Time: 13:31
Im not completely clear as to what the city planner does.
Old May 29, 2002, 01:06   #15
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder
So who the hell is in the cabinet as of now?!?!
i don't think the elections are over yet but if you examine the votes, you'll probably be able to guess who will win
Old May 29, 2002, 04:30   #16
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 01:31
I'm very confused.

Is it too late to offer ourselves for the position (City Planner)? Or do we just beg the Pres?

If so.. *beg beg*

Well, I'd like to be City Planner. I feel I can build up the core of our cities into a highly productive industrial area, as well as building our outer cities into semi-independant centres which don't require much intervention. I can also be flexible, knowing how to produce high tax returns and then switching to high research.

*beg beg*

Old May 29, 2002, 05:26   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:31
Hmm... Confusion reigns.

We wait 'till the result of this poll. If the vote is to do without, somehow we have to do without. VP was never a very important position, only really taking over in case of a Presidential disappearance and posting elections, but there's a lot to do that doesn't fall under the aegis of anyone else's portfolio, as I think I've shown.

I hope we have these two positions filled by SOMEone - up until now the system has worked well and I see no need to change it.

If the vote is for the positions to be polled on, I guess all interested parties can offer themselves for the poll. You should do so by the end of the rest of the elections.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 29, 2002, 08:28   #18
Kropotkin
Emperor

I'm a bit confused over the responsibilty of the city-planner. Is that about what the cities are going to build or about irrigation and mining or both? I've got a strong opinion about the latter but I don't care to much about the former (besides getting a few mor engineers out there).

edit: Or is it about how and where the people should work? Ie maximizing production, trade or food or something in between?
Old May 29, 2002, 09:17   #19
civman2000
Emperor

Imperial expansion is about where to build no cities. City planner is to manage cities we already have.

Old May 29, 2002, 09:31   #20
Marquis de Sodaq
King

VP is important, people! We have already had a president resign. Without a VP, the game would stall while we ran special elections. As before, the masses accept that this can be an appointed position.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 29, 2002, 09:37   #21
civman2000
Emperor

and since i seem to be losing for science minister I urge cavebear to consider me a potential VP

Old May 29, 2002, 09:42   #22
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
Imperial expansion is about where to build no [sic!] cities.
I guess you think we shouldn't build more cities and that's some kind of freudian slip?
Old May 29, 2002, 09:57   #23
civman2000
Emperor

supposed to be "new"

Old May 29, 2002, 10:49   #24
Hywel Dda
Warlord

Local Time: 01:31
Well there seem to be enough people willing to be considered to make a new election possible, but I think it would be easier (and quicker) if the President simply appoints.

I don't hold with getting rid of these two jobs.
Old May 29, 2002, 10:51   #25
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:31
FFS!!! How many times do I have to stand for City Planner??

VOTE ME! For increased environmental concern, love of all things fluffy and feathery, and a righteous protection of our world from all humans. (This may well mean violent wars...)
Old May 29, 2002, 12:16   #26
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I urge the president to accept Immortal Wombat for city planner and Civman2000 for VP. I believe i'm supporting two people from two different political parties, but so what? i'm an independant waiting for someone to make me an offer
Old May 29, 2002, 12:22   #27
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:31
Why thankyou H Tower, I will remember your support in the July elections
Old May 29, 2002, 12:32   #28
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Why thankyou H Tower, I will remember your support in the July elections
see? that's the kind of offer i've been looking for
Old May 29, 2002, 12:50   #29
Kropotkin
Emperor

Immortal Wombat!? He's starting to whine about the enviorment and we haven't industralized yet! Where should this stop?

No, this is not acceptable, we need to raise our productivity and rationalize our farming. This to build what our citizens need and all that technology brings us. If we don't do this we will not be able to give our defence forces enough of new units fast enough.
Old May 29, 2002, 12:56   #30
civman2000
Emperor

you want to be city planner