Old May 28, 2002, 23:27   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Street Preachin' and other Sundries....
This is one of my favorite parts of my "job." At the end of a very productive day, usually quite late at night, when I have not yet powered down my brain and still have that restless, edgy feeling I get after a solid day spent creating....tired yes, but I can't quite go to sleep....those are my favorite moments.

The times when I can kick back and take a look at where we started, what's been accomplished so far, and what remains to be done.

It's also the time when I get to do a little old fashioned cheer leading.

It's widely known that I'm not a programmer.

That before this project, I have never directly led a coding effort (and in fact, am still not...an eternally grateful nod to the tireless Ramses for wearing that particular hat!), nor directed artistic effort for any number of folks besides myself and the writing of my own novels (another nod to the Lady Cathy, for her calming influence, steady hand, and unerring words of wisdom that always seem to come at JUST the right time), never guided a team of passionate, creative people through the landmine that is creating an entire world out of nothing, breathing life and heart and soul into it and making it come to life in a way that can be shared and experienced by anybody who has the inclination to join us....nope....I'm not that guy, or at least, I wasn't until mid January of this year or thereabouts.

As an artist (graphic/visual art), I'm a hack, at best, more prone to draw stick figures than to actually create something visual that our team can use.

Mostly, I'm an idea guy. I write stuff, describing it with words and phrases in hopes that I can wrestle the vision that's inside my head onto paper (virtual or otherwise) with enough clarity that others with talents I frankly don't posess can decipher what I mean and add their own talents to making it work.

So....sometimes I am left wondering....what am I doing here? If I can't code, and I can't make the world pretty, then what the heck am I doing leading the charge?

Sometimes it makes me wonder....not about the team of people helping me (whom I have complete faith and confidence in), but at myself. If I can really keep my wits about me long enough to make the magic really come together. And yes....sometimes that scares the hell out of me.

But that doesn't change the fact that we're here....our numbers are growing, interest in what we're doing is growing, and we're verging on having the pre-alpha build of our game in the hands of those who have wrestled with the design issues from day one.

It also doesn't change the fact that although we're complete neophytes at this stuff, we're on track and on schedule so far for finishing that pre-alpha build.

Neophytes doing it cos it's cool, being led by a guy who's never been tested in this particular fashion, using a methodology that's also untried....one that some would call unorthodox in the best case, downright insane in the worst....and yet....here we are.

Each day bringing us a little bit closer to breathing life into a world that didn't exist as even a glimmer of an idea this time last year.

When I think about that....about how far we've come, about the group of strangers we all started out as, and the way we've become friends working together to weave out something that nobody's ever seen before....all the care and the time and the truly deep thought that everyone has brought to the table to make this thing happen and bring us this far....it gives me hope and all the more confidence that the future of this project is bright indeed.

In my mind, the hardest challenges are behind us. We've forged working relationships, proved that we can meet or exceed deadlines despite the fact that we're all doing this on a voluntary basis, and gotten the basic mechanics of the game world hammered out.

Now comes the execution.

Still plenty of pitfalls, but that we have come so far....that we even dared to begin a project like this in spite of the long odds against it succeeding....that says lots of really good things about the nature and the quality of the people I'm working with, and all those who come here to read about our progress and our latest thinking.

In addition to putting a pretty enormous grin on this weary face, it gives me a lot of hope about our chances from here on.

We've bested the early demons. Now, we gotta best the execution and feature creep demons, and if we do that, then the end result WILL BE a playable, awesome public release of Candle'Bre that'll create quite a stir, and hopefully raise more than a few eyebrows.

And we CAN do it. We are doing it, exactly one day at a time.

So...to everyone who has signed on with the project....whether it be to help with the coding or AI research, to make the world we're piecing together beautiful or keep us all informed with entertaining and informative newsletters....whether it be by taking my half coherent ramblings on rules and turning them into a document that's crisp and readable and easily understood, or keeping up with the growing body of fiction that serves as the Candle'Bre "bible," or the testers who are chomping at the bit to put our game to the ultimate test, or any number of other vitally important tasks that keep us going on a day to day, sometimes hour to hour basis....a humble and heartfelt thank you....

Guys....Gals....this project simply would no be if not for your timely rescuing of a foolish man who spoke words he had no hope at all of making come true on his own....without your creative energy and enthusiasm, without your BELIEF in Candle'Bre and the possibilities it represents, none of this....not so much as the first shred of this would even be here.

That it exists even in its current form, with yet much to do, is a living, breathing magical testiment to all of you.

I for one, have no intention of letting go of that magic.

I want to see where this road we're on will take us, and if we keep on our present course, I see it taking us wonderful places indeed.

Dreams are never just materialized out of nothing and gifted to those with idle desire....no....dreams are made real by sweat in one form or another.

We've all done some pretty serious sweating to get us to this point, and there's more on the horizon....but I believe.

I think it's safe to say that everyone on the team believes, or they wouldn't be with us.

Those who come here to read about us either believe or want to....and all that belief is simply more fuel for the engine, to my way of thinking.

That's why we're gonna do this.

Cos we believe.

Thank you....everyone.

Thank you.

-=Vel=-
(to bed with me before I get all riled up again...lol)
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old May 29, 2002, 00:08   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Re: Street Preachin' and other Sundries....
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

Mostly, I'm an idea guy.
LOL. Everytime I hear or read this line I have vision of the Michael Keeton character in Nite Shift.

I'm an idea guy. Like what if we feed tuna fish mayonaise. Bingo instant tuna fish salad (or words to that effect)

Seriously though. I'ld say Vel your strongest suit not mentioned by you in this post is your passion and persistance. That rubs off on everyone. Leadership is about example. Great example.

You've done much upon reflection (novels, strat guides, learned from scratch how to do a web site etc.). The odds may be against you, but knowing you I think you and your band of merry men(and women) will find a way to beat them odds.

Best of luck

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old May 29, 2002, 01:27   #3
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Thanks for reading my late night ramble, Og...and for the kind words.

Sometimes, I think my stubborness is a bit of a curse....certainly FEELS like it now and again, but other times....

....well, let's just say that if there were two equally capable people doing the same job, my money would be on the stubborn sonufagun....

so yes, in that regard, I think there may be something to the whole stickwithitness....I sure hope so, and thank you again for stayin' up late with me, and readin' my lil' ramble...

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old May 29, 2002, 01:32   #4
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Vel,

I think your strong points are leadership and game design (from a player perspective...i.e. what is "fun").

I do think that you should push yourself to learn some coding and some art. Even if you don't use these skills much (and you may) it will help you to be a better, more informed leader. Also, much of the value of this project is in the learning. So you should try to get as much of that as you can.
Old May 30, 2002, 09:11   #5
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
2nd!

R:PM
Old June 2, 2002, 12:50   #6
BigRich@home
Settler

Re: Street Preachin' and other Sundries....
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

Mostly, I'm an idea guy. I write stuff, describing it with words and phrases in hopes that I can wrestle the vision that's inside my head onto paper (virtual or otherwise) with enough clarity that others with talents I frankly don't posess can decipher what I mean and add their own talents to making it work.

So....sometimes I am left wondering....what am I doing here? If I can't code, and I can't make the world pretty, then what the heck am I doing leading the charge?

*snip*
Vel.

I think paragraph 1 pretty much answers paragraph 2. Every project needs a grand vision - just ask George Lucas. Of course some would argue that Mr. Lucas could profitably take a lil positive criticism on board as well but that's not an issue here.

Without wishing to brownnose too much, I just want to say, that if you have half the enthusiasm (but lack of monomania) with the actual team that you show on this forum, then that'll be one fired up, revved up, hanging together team.

Thats why you lead the charge.

Rich.
Old June 2, 2002, 17:35   #7
Velociryx
staff

Thanks again guys! Just back from a much needed vacation weekend....I think I got my brain recharged!

Total agreement, GP....in fact, although I still couldn't code to save my life, I *do* feel as though I've learned quite a lot simply by being an active participant in most of the code-related threads we've had to date. I know worlds more now than I did, which still doesn't say much, but I'm learning a bit more each day.... And art! Wow...I never would have imagined I'd have learned so much about Photoshop and Bryce3d! Those two programs were deep mysteries to me when we started, and in truth, there are still so many things about each that I don't understand, but....I'm getting there!

Rich...what can I say but thank you! I try to "infect" everybody with my own sense of enthusiasm about the project....as to the mania...well, there's very definitely a maniacal side to me, but not "that" way....

-=Vel=-
Old June 2, 2002, 17:57   #8
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:35
Maybe just pick up one of the trades, if learning both C++ and Bryce is too much, Vel.