Old November 2, 2000, 18:00   #1
civsmart
Settler

Local Time: 22:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
how many of you have gotten all the wonders?
I just found this site and i didn't know there were that many civ2 regulars out there. I just want to know how i rank among the rest. I got all the wonders the other day without cheating. Who's in the club?
Old November 2, 2000, 18:49   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Welcome. You've discovered a mob of Civ addicts here.

In the early days, playing against the AI, for the challenge, I used to build all the Wonders. As time went by, I built fewer and fewer. Now, if I play SP against the AI, which isn't often, I don't build them at all for the challenge of winning without them.

In MP, against humans, on Deity, I think the Happy Wonders are nice, but you can survive without them. The military wonders - Sun Tzu and Great Wall - are very handy in an aggressive game. If it looks like my civ has been started on an isolated piece of land surrounded by water, I'll always try for Lighthouse, on the basis that I can use it for exploration and trade, and if the others don't have it, they can't reach me for quite a while.

If you play MP, you'll find any number of games being set up and advertised in the MP forum. You might also find yourself spending an inordinate amount of time at this site!

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old November 2, 2000, 22:14   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:46
If I really want them all... I can get them all.
But as Finbar points out, who needs them all

If you have the MPE version, check out the Multi-Play forums... and look for a game. After playing against the stupid AI, real people will be a treat
Old November 3, 2000, 01:58   #4
tonic
King

After playing SP for a while, getting all the Wonders is no big deal. In addition to the suggestions about MP there is also OCC which is my passion at the moment. If you haven't come across this, the basics are at Paul's site: http://members.home.nl/paulvdb/occ.htm
Old November 3, 2000, 03:35   #5
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:46
Civsmart, et al.:

Sure, I've gotten all the Wonders — usually by the 1800s, when my massive, planet-spanning armies have conquered entire nations and turned others into shattered ghosts of their former selves.

CYBERAmazon
Old November 3, 2000, 09:25   #6
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:46
I have built all the wonders on occaision, playing at chieftain. it was interesting, but hardly a rush, since the other civs were so pathetic....
Old November 3, 2000, 10:32   #7
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

I have built them all, but I don’t think building them all is that easy (missing one of the early ones is hard to avoid). Capturing them all is of course not any sort of achievement.
Old November 3, 2000, 14:10   #8
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:46
i once managed to build them all, without cheating, on Prince. That was really lucky, and it involved two start settlers and two advanced tribes before 2500 BC.
I think.
Old November 4, 2000, 01:19   #9
Mercantile
Settler

i agree with johnmcd, sometimes you miss one of the early ones, but i have done it before. You need a quick start to do IMO, otherwise i usually miss the lighthouse or the observatory

------------------
Do you shovel snow in your birkenstocks?
Old November 5, 2000, 01:57   #10
civsmart
Settler

Well, i have the wussy habit of never using my military to cripple. i use military to contain. And without takeover, and without quickstart, at deity, i am usually hard pressed to get enough wonders started at the beginning. i guess there's a lot better players out there.
Old November 9, 2000, 04:49   #11
Mark von Wagner
Prince

Local Time: 17:46
I did that once -- I built all the wonders in a single city. It's the only time I've seen the City View actually look like a city!
Old November 9, 2000, 09:53   #12
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:46
quote:

Originally posted by Mark von Wagner on 11-09-2000 03:49 AM
I did that once -- I built all the wonders in a single city. It's the only time I've seen the City View actually look like a city!

Yeah! that's the best use for the wonders

Old November 11, 2000, 03:05   #13
KhanMan
Prince

Mark-Did that with the new diplomacy/gigaworld map, playing as the Japanese...it was fun, sitting there, occupying only the main islands, with one warrior per city my only defenses...not even talking to the ai, while I played on in blissful, caravan-drugged joy...

...last time was a landing, fully loaded, of a full spaceship on AC around 1800. But I'll improve

-KhanMan, advocate of the KhanMan version of the ColdWizardian adjunct of the Nomads Challenge
Old November 11, 2000, 19:04   #14
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

welcome civsmart!
Check out the Civ III idea forums, they are a great start.

-The only time I ever got all the wonders was when I conquered every civ in the WWII scenario as the Axis.