Old May 29, 2002, 16:06   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Save files for all
I think us peasants and workers should have access to the save file. What we could do is have one person who is not allowed to participate in the game have the save file, cheat it, annhilate everything we can't see, turn the parts of the map that we can't see into ocean, uncheat it, and save. This way no one could cheat and explore map etc., and us peasants and workers would be able to get a better idea of what's going on.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:27   #2
Space05us
King

Local Time: 13:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
too much work for them. and the end result coul just as easily be represented by a detailed map. you know stuff added onto a screenshot of the actual map to represent where units are at.

(hope that makes sense to you, because I wrote it and I'm having trouble understanding it, but that could just be from lack of sleep in the past few weeks...)
Old May 29, 2002, 16:41   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 20:37
that's cheating to me. half the fun og the game is exploring. the mystery of where the two missing american cities are makes the game interesting. this proposal is abad idea and i urge our leaders not to stray from our current policy on this!
Old May 29, 2002, 16:44   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
No, it's so that we can see the game. The guy who cheats isn't playing; he's just making it so that others can't cheat. He turns everything that we can't see into ocean, so that we won't be able to see past it. This gives us a better idea of how we are doing.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:47   #5
Space05us
King

Local Time: 13:37
the save game file shouldn't be shared in any way. I agree with H Tower on that
Old May 29, 2002, 17:10   #6
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:37
No need for the file but a note on where units are positioned and what city improvements are build would be nice.
Old May 29, 2002, 17:11   #7
Kropotkin
Emperor

More and better maps would be nice though. Don't we have some graphic wiz-kid in our ranks that can produce good ones?
Old May 29, 2002, 18:39   #8
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

ok, i understand your idea now. but you'd need to find someone willing to drop out of the game to do that stuff. i think the screen shots are fine/ maybe the VP could be charged with making tons of screen shots
Old May 29, 2002, 19:10   #9
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
I thought the idea was for the varrious ministers involved to give the people alll the infomation they needed.
eg. the foriegn minister with the use of his embassies can telll the people how many cities the other civs have and if the are building any wonders , what techs they have and are rescearching.

but perhaps hydey gets it wrong again.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old May 29, 2002, 19:18   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:37
bah! whoever said communism should be fair. let the ruling classes have the file.
Old May 29, 2002, 19:24   #11
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

About the only thing I can think of that I *don't* post a screenshot of is the individual city screens. There are 3 reasons for that. First, there are just too many of them. Second, the city screen is too large for the 600x600 pixel size maximum that Apolyton allows. Third, shrinking the size renders the image virtually unreadable.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 29, 2002, 19:29   #12
cavebear
Emperor

Hydey has it correct. The Ministers are responsible for giving information about their area to the Citizens (mostly through polls), and then making recommendations to the President. As in real life, the Citizens don't have all the information available, and a good Minister is more informative than a poor one. And the President reconciles disagreements in Ministerial advice, sometimes posting about broad issues that involve the whole government.

Besides, Citizens not having the details may be one of the things that encourage people to become Ministers.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 29, 2002, 20:34   #13
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
As in real life, the Citizens don't have all the information available, and a good Minister is more informative than a poor one. And the President reconciles disagreements in Ministerial advice, sometimes posting about broad issues that involve the whole government.
In real life the truth will be leaked to a newspaper. Remember Watergate/Deep Throat and The Washington Post (sorry you are too young )

Let's see a recent save file...what have you got to hide?

There's a dead letterbox in my email

---------------

SG(2)

Last edited by Scouse Gits; May 29, 2002 at 20:43.
Old May 29, 2002, 21:48   #14
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

In real life the truth will be leaked to a newspaper. Remember Watergate/Deep Throat and The Washington Post (sorry you are too young )
Are you kidding? I voted in 1968! And I note that we seem to have no newspapers in Civ2...

Quote:
Let's see a recent save file...what have you got to hide?
Get elected to office. RHIP...

Quote:
There's a dead letterbox in my email
Don't understand that one, sorry...

Old May 29, 2002, 22:25   #15
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 19:37
In sum, we seem to have 3 options presented:

1. Let the masses have the game
2. Screw the masses, they get screenshots
3. Have a minister (VP?) be a full time screenshot poster

As for screens that do not fit, someone posting all relevant info could attach a pile of images as a zip file. If you really want all the details, download and look at the 30 images on your pc.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 30, 2002, 00:27   #16
H Tower

how big would these images be? i might be able to host them on my website if they were small enough
Old May 30, 2002, 03:07   #17
Bigcash
Settler

Saves for all! Are ministers any more trustworthy than the common comrade? Our leaders are practicing the absurdity of Soviety communism, whereas the Apolytoner people seek a purer form. Saves for all!
I see the problem with cheating, though. Also, would I be able to even look at them, because I use FW, and the game is played on MGE
Old May 30, 2002, 04:30   #18
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
Are you kidding? I voted in 1968
Sorry cavebear ... I must get out of the habit of thinking that there aren't more golden oldies around. The reference to the dead letterbox (remember all those spy films where they dropped the secret papers for the KGB to collect them?) was a hope that somebody would email me a save file of the game.

----------------

SG(2)
Old May 30, 2002, 05:32   #19
timmy2tone69
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:37
If all the people have save files then whats the point of having ministers? and if we all want a copy why not just play by ourselvs? I think more scrren shots and such would help solve this problem, also i think that the history minister should keep a copy of the game saved at different points throught our history. That way when this is all over those who particapated could have a copy and go back and play it , foor fun.
Old May 30, 2002, 08:46   #20
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by timmy2tone69
If all the people have save files then whats the point of having ministers? and if we all want a copy why not just play by ourselvs? I think more scrren shots and such would help solve this problem, also i think that the history minister should keep a copy of the game saved at different points throught our history. That way when this is all over those who particapated could have a copy and go back and play it , for fun.
Well stated, t2t69.

This issue has been discussed and resolved previously in this forum. The ppl voted the High Council ministers the right to receive saves so that they could develop better strategies and tactics, resulting in more specific, meaningful polls.

Those with a "need" to see the saves should run for office.

Posting old saves (like one per month) as a part of the history thread is an interesting idea. There is always concern that someone will cheat ahead (exploration, etc) and post spoiler notes, and this is a legitimate concern in an open forum like this.

Is it possible to lock or disable a savegame file?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 30, 2002, 10:06   #21
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

To have or not the .sav, that is the question
As several posts said, there was a poll one or two months ago on the subject : Saved games are mailed to the Cab after every turn played by the President, not to each citizen.
The Hydey idea seems good : the President publish in the traditional link ("our world in xxxx") the main screenshots (as today), and each minister posts the complementary screenshots and reports which may be relevent with his matter and usefull for the decisions to be taken in the week (between the W-E turns).
Old May 30, 2002, 10:14   #22
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Those with a "need" to see the saves should run for office.
My thoughts exactly...
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Is it possible to lock or disable a savegame file?
I don't know about disabling a game, but it is possible to disable cheat mode. That doesn't prevent someone from playing out a game, tho.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 30, 2002, 10:36   #23
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agee with our historian.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal