Old May 29, 2002, 16:11   #1
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 22:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Volcanoes
This just came to my head the other day and I figured this was the best place to put it
Some people have mentioned how changes to the terrain during the game would be cool, i.e. volcanoes and the such.
My idea for volcanoes is that perhaps randomly a mountain can be changed slightly in appearance for a turn or two to show lava, smoke etc. Of course this is all simple, no-brainer stuff, however, here's the rather cool part:
The volcanoe, on erruption, bombards (just like any catapult, battleship or cannon) adjacent squares, killing citizens, hurting units, and destroying buildings and irrigation.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:18   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Volcanoes
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
This just came to my head the other day and I figured this was the best place to put it
Some people have mentioned how changes to the terrain during the game would be cool, i.e. volcanoes and the such.
My idea for volcanoes is that perhaps randomly a mountain can be changed slightly in appearance for a turn or two to show lava, smoke etc. Of course this is all simple, no-brainer stuff, however, here's the rather cool part:
The volcanoe, on erruption, bombards (just like any catapult, battleship or cannon) adjacent squares, killing citizens, hurting units, and destroying buildings and irrigation.
hi ,

there have been threads like this before , but its good that it comes ones in a while back , ......in short there should be random events , like rain , .....clouds , .....héhéh , prevent airunits from being used , .........

volcanoes , .....that spit out lava , and kill half the population of a nearby city , ones every 500 years , ........;

have a nice day
Old May 29, 2002, 16:24   #3
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 22:07
Yeah, I know my thread is not the least bit new, but I had never seen an idea like mine to actually model the damage. I liked my idea of actually using the existing bombard script for a volcano to do damage.
Perhaps mod makers or scenario makers could make use of it, seemed to be an easy thing to do to me.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:28   #4
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
Yeah, I know my thread is not the least bit new, but I had never seen an idea like mine to actually model the damage. I liked my idea of actually using the existing bombard script for a volcano to do damage.
Perhaps mod makers or scenario makers could make use of it, seemed to be an easy thing to do to me.
hi ,

creating the "event" , is nothing , the main problem shall be the graphics and the art , .........

have a nice day
Old May 29, 2002, 16:28   #5
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:37
The cloud thing is a nice idea. I just wonder whether the random events need to be calculated on bigger timescales.
Clouds and rain are just weather events that only occur during short time periods.
What civ3 needs are events like climate changes or geological changes that can last a few years up to centuries. Those events could be generated by volcanoes, meteroids or earthquakes.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:41   #6
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucilla
The cloud thing is a nice idea. I just wonder whether the random events need to be calculated on bigger timescales.
Clouds and rain are just weather events that only occur during short time periods.
What civ3 needs are events like climate changes or geological changes that can last a few years up to centuries. Those events could be generated by volcanoes, meteroids or earthquakes.
hi ,

its been done before in the industry , .....but never on a large scale and completely working , ......

who knows if we ask , maybe they shall think about it , ......

Soren and the others like Breitkreuz did a nice job , .......

its possible , but at what cost , what demands for a home pc , the trick shall be to fit it in a nice neat package , ......he who does that , well just a small step for firaxis , a giant revolution for the gaming world , ........

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; June 3, 2002 at 13:01.
Old May 29, 2002, 22:23   #7
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 18:37
Random events and unique terrain like Alpha Centauri is one of the things I have been pushing for since day 1. I would love to be able to do that.....
Old May 30, 2002, 15:09   #8
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 19:37
SWEET
Volcanoes would be awesome, imagine having to run your units away from the expanding lava! Anyone ever play Defender 2, where you had to save the little dudes from the lava in your spaceship?

Or see "Volcano" with Tommy Lee Jones, where people of all races (i.e. all civs) have to cooperate to build a concrete barrier to rein in the lava? God that was stupid!

Great idea!
Old June 1, 2002, 00:03   #9
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 01:37
A volcano should be invisable until you get some tech. (can't think which one)

Also, Grasslands around volcanoes should give you extra food, therefore giving you a reason to make a city around a volcano you know's there.
Old June 2, 2002, 13:21   #10
Amesjustin
Warlord

I disagree. Even cavemen could identify a volcano.

Grasslands already provide extra food.

A volcano should not provide extra food, as that is not realistic, but the various material spewed out should give a +1 to gold and +2 to production, thus providing a reason to settle nearby (I agree there should be a reason).

It would be great if the volcano would have the occassional very rare massive eruption like Mt. St. Helens or Vesuvius. If a city is close to a volcano that does this, it would turn into ruins, basically being destroyed, but providing tourism to any another city built nearby.
Old June 2, 2002, 13:25   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:37
How about Civ (original) where Volcanoes occurred randomly in cities built next to Mountains. They destroyed a random improvement and their effects were cancelled by building a temple in the city...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 2, 2002, 20:16   #12
tniem
King

Local Time: 20:37
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
How about Civ (original) where Volcanoes occurred randomly in cities built next to Mountains. They destroyed a random improvement and their effects were cancelled by building a temple in the city...
Make's total sense, even in our day and age if you believe in a god and pray enough or whatever you can save yourself from the effects of disasters. And if not, you weren't praying hard enough.
Old June 2, 2002, 23:06   #13
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Amesjustin
A volcano should not provide extra food, as that is not realistic, but the various material spewed out should give a +1 to gold and +2 to production, thus providing a reason to settle nearby (I agree there should be a reason).
The +1 food would be in the surrounding 8 squares, because volcanic soil is very rich & good for farming.
Old June 3, 2002, 01:02   #14
Amesjustin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkworld Ark

The +1 food would be in the surrounding 8 squares, because volcanic soil is very rich & good for farming.
OK I do agree with and like this idea....
Old June 3, 2002, 07:50   #15
Miho
Settler

I think random natural disasters is an excellent idea. I would love to see volcano's but also maybe even rarer things like meteor hits. Or tidal waves, earthquakes, tornados, serious outbreaks of disease, etc.. Things that damage your civ but you can do very little about. I like the idea of having land around volcano's giving bonuses so you want to build there, but maybe also have volcano's appearing during the game so you have no idea where one may form. They could then appear in the middle of your land, or create a new island in the middle of the sea. It would open up some new possibilities in the game.

I think day to day weather like rain and clouds are probably impractical given the time-scale games are played on, but maybe there could be larger weather patterns which affect your civ, e.g. periods of drought, or bad storms, which continue for several years.
Old June 9, 2002, 20:33   #16
Shadowstrife911
Settler

Weather/Seasons
Wouldnt it be cool to have weather/seasons i know it wouldn't work on a normal game, considering the timeframe of the Ancient Era compared to Modern Era but imagine the possiblities for scenerios.

Ex.

The Huns cross the Rhine easily when its frozen over

Or something to that effect.
Old June 10, 2002, 12:41   #17
Panag
Emperor

Re: Weather/Seasons
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrife911
Wouldnt it be cool to have weather/seasons i know it wouldn't work on a normal game, considering the timeframe of the Ancient Era compared to Modern Era but imagine the possiblities for scenerios.

Ex.

The Huns cross the Rhine easily when its frozen over

Or something to that effect.
hi ,

if they really want they can put it in , ....even in "no turn" mode , ....look at C&C tiberian sun , ....they did it , so why not firaxis , ....

have a nice day
Old June 10, 2002, 14:17   #18
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:37
Jeff said that there would be no natural/random disasters in PtW. Sorry, just wishful thinking guys.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:20   #19
Amesjustin
Warlord

Yeah, but he also said that if sales did well enough there would be a second XP. I hope this makes it into it.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:28   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:37
Civ I had great random events, volcanoes, earthquakes, etc.... I don't know why Microprose took them out for Civ II.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:46   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Jeff said that there would be no natural/random disasters in PtW. Sorry, just wishful thinking guys.
hi ,

maybe not in PTW , but wait , if he sees all these post's , he might start to think about it , ...

but you wanna bet he allready has

maybe with the nect "PTW" , extra pack , who knows

have a nice day