Old May 29, 2002, 16:13   #1
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
should I buy civ2 or civ3?
I'm thinking about getting back into civving. (I gave away my copy of 2.4.2 a while ago.)

Should I get anothje copy of 2.4.2 for 9 bucks or should I get MGE or should I get Civ3?
Old May 29, 2002, 16:22   #2
simwiz2
Warlord

Local Time: 20:37
I would recommend neither. CTP2 seems interesting as an alternative, although i have not played it yet. Civ2 is only 9 bucks so it isnt that big of a deal, but nowadays there are better, more advanced games. Civ3, IMO, is definately not worth the (39.99?) + the 29.99 in a few months if you want a real editor and mp.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:26   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

GP, wait until Firaxis offers you a "Battle Chest" or something with Civ3 and PTW in one box for a lower price, again f*cking over the loyal fans who paid for the beta.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:32   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm afraid that your thread is going to attract all the usual moaners. Buy civ3, it's not perfect, but it's still a d**m good game.
Probably should mention the system requirements are pretty high - you need 25 hours per day

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 29, 2002, 16:47   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
GP,

It depends. Allow me to ask a couple of questions:

What did you like most about CivII?
Did you play SMAC? Did you like it?
Do you firmly believe that troops with superior weapons ought to always win a battle? (hint, CivIII does not have firepower like CivII, and wacky combat results will happen).

There are people who really hate CivIII here... and many of them (not all, of course) are big SMAC fans who see SMAC as a superior game. Or they at least thought that some of the SMAC features should have been included in CivIII.

I like CivIII, and have already devoted far too much time to it. I was into CivII, but never really liked SMAC.

It all depends on what you want out of the game.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 29, 2002, 17:01   #6
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:37
I played Civ2 (ToT) and it was the only game that I enjoyed playing even after a year. CtP and AoE haven't made it longer than one day before I uninstalled them. Maybe there are newer and better versions by now, but I didn't try them.

Now I'm playing Civ3 and I enjoy it even more than Civ2. Especially the concepts of borders and culture make it so much different and even more interesting than Civ2.

Of course, every game can be improved, but Civ3's patch 1.21 has a quite good quality already.
Old May 29, 2002, 17:04   #7
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I loved Civ2 and SMAC and SMACX, and am in the process of loving Civ3. Some don't like it depending apon there style of play, and because of a buggy first release(btw, anyone read the bug list that got fixed for SMAC, or SMACX anytime?), but I consider it quite an advancement and worth the money. The scenario editor part of it many have complained about is being released free, so now they've only got the MP not being included like n Civ2, and buggy release to whine about.
Old May 29, 2002, 17:18   #8
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:37
I think you should get Civ3, as even though I have never played Civ2, I have no doubt that there will be fewer and fewer mods made for Civ2 now that the new game has been released. There has been a lot of complaining about the incomplete scenerio editor, but that is being fixed by Firaxis and a new, free editor is bieng released sometime around June. If you're like some of the people around here and you can't seem to adapt at all to new methods of play, then you will hate the Civ3 representation of culture, where borders are flexible and cities may be "peacefully conquered", though I personally think that it is pretty cool.

However, I've gotta say that one of the best games i've ever seen is SMAC and SMACX (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and SMAC expansion Alien Crossfire), I liked those games better than Civ3 and both of the CtPs......

Glad to add another Civ player to our ranks, have fun!
Old May 29, 2002, 17:29   #9
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
GP,

It depends. Allow me to ask a couple of questions:

What did you like most about CivII?
Did you play SMAC? Did you like it?
Do you firmly believe that troops with superior weapons ought to always win a battle? (hint, CivIII does not have firepower like CivII, and wacky combat results will happen).

There are people who really hate CivIII here... and many of them (not all, of course) are big SMAC fans who see SMAC as a superior game. Or they at least thought that some of the SMAC features should have been included in CivIII.

I like CivIII, and have already devoted far too much time to it. I was into CivII, but never really liked SMAC.

It all depends on what you want out of the game.

-Arrian
I nver got SMAC. Too lazy and I'm not that much of a gamer. I did like Civ2 a fair amount in a sort of mindless way. And I like the discussion on Civ2 strategy forum.

I don't mind if I lose troops. I don't need combat to be mechanical. I don't cry when I lose a unit unluckily.

Do you prefer Civ3 to Civ2?
Old May 29, 2002, 17:37   #10
Todd Hawks
Prince

In addition to what the others said:

If you want a great AI take Civ3.

If you want lots of gameplay features and don't mind science fiction elements take SMAC/X.

There's no real reason (IMO) to get Civ2 again and CTP2 is just crap (IMO again).
Old May 29, 2002, 19:56   #11
Coracle
Prince

Civ 2
The Civ 3 AI is predictable, quirky, and often braindead. It is a BIG disappointment.

I had with Civ 2 fifty times the fun I've had with this very flawed Civ 3.

Civ 2 all the way. It is a true Classic, and no compouter gaming collection is complete without it.
Old May 29, 2002, 20:15   #12
Switch
Prince

I have played Civ2, SMAC w/ SMACX, and Civ3. I suggest you get Civ3. 'Nuff said.
Old May 29, 2002, 20:24   #13
Tuberski

Re: Civ 2
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
The Civ 3 AI is predictable, quirky, and often braindead. It is a BIG disappointment.

I had with Civ 2 fifty times the fun I've had with this very flawed Civ 3.

Civ 2 all the way. It is a true Classic, and no compouter gaming collection is complete without it.
And Civ 2's AI wasn't predictable and braindead? Quirky seems to me to be an improvement.

Civ was better than Civ 2
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 29, 2002, 23:17   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

GP.

Civ3. It has a large and growing fan base. If MP is your bag, it would be better to get there ahead of certain... others so that you can show them who's who come PTW. I assume that cost is not a large factor.

I would love to crash subs with you some time.
Old May 29, 2002, 23:25   #15
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
GP.

Civ3. It has a large and growing fan base. If MP is your bag, it would be better to get there ahead of certain... others so that you can show them who's who come PTW. I assume that cost is not a large factor.

By.....others I think you mean Coracle, who will NEVER play against somebody who could beat him.

I won't play MP because I don't know anybody around here to play it with and by Modem would be way too slow.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 30, 2002, 00:04   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
By.....others I think you mean Coracle, who will NEVER play against somebody who could beat him.
No, I'm talking about frogs and ferrets. Although my sources tell me that the frogs have the ferrets scouting the lay of the land even as we speak.
Old May 30, 2002, 00:21   #17
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
GP.

Sure dude. I'm not a hard core gamer, but the human interaction would make it a charge. I like a lot of the older MP crew.

And playing against the twins would be a blast!
Old May 30, 2002, 00:52   #18
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
And playing against the twins would be a blast!
Then buy Civ II MP... we are still playing that until we see what Civ III MP brings You would be "welcome" in any game we are playing
Old May 30, 2002, 01:29   #19
notyoueither
Deity

Don't listen to the frog GP. He's just trying to lure you into the old school while he tools up for the new.

Get ahead of the game, and the frog. Go 3.
Old May 30, 2002, 02:13   #20
The Mad Monk
Emperor

From what you've said, I have to go with the frog.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 30, 2002, 02:21   #21
notyoueither
Deity

You must be French.
Old May 30, 2002, 05:03   #22
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 09:37
My cents worth? Civ2. Pick it up for next-to-nothing and its more versatile than Civ3 in almost any way.
You have Scenarios, multi-play and well-established communities of both.
Hopefully Civ3 will be able to live up to that ... someday.
Old May 30, 2002, 09:01   #23
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

IMO In the long run Civ 3's versatility will way outperform Civ 2's. Eventually scenario building will outpace civ 2's. Although this is all speculative, Id get civ3.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old May 30, 2002, 09:05   #24
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
My cents worth? Civ2. Pick it up for next-to-nothing and its more versatile than Civ3 in almost any way.
You have Scenarios, multi-play and well-established communities of both.
Hopefully Civ3 will be able to live up to that ... someday.
The word "CtP2" would replace "Civ2" in that sentence seamlessly.

But I'd say Civ2 for you GP.
Old May 30, 2002, 09:39   #25
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
Never the flawed braindead ICSing Civ3

probably MGE rather than 2.42 but it is a close call

SG[1]
Old May 30, 2002, 11:06   #26
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
IMO In the long run Civ 3's versatility will way outperform Civ 2's. Eventually scenario building will outpace civ 2's. Although this is all speculative, Id get civ3.
Eventually is the operative word.

So buy CIVII now for real cheap, and by the time they perfect CIVIII it will also be in the bargain bin. Don't make the same foolish mistake that I did and pay full price for an unfinished game.

If you want MP experience, there is no choice

RAH
Old May 30, 2002, 14:34   #27
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

hmmm...sounds like MGE is the way to go.

How is the single player experience? Is it only bad in OCC?

And TOT is pointless, no?
Old May 30, 2002, 14:36   #28
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

rah, with what you know of Civ3, do you think PTW will better than MGE?

I mean would you rather play civ2 against other humans or civ3 against other humans. (Presumably you prefer MGE to Civnet, no?)
Old May 30, 2002, 21:04   #29
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

civ2 for the awesome scenarios. but you'll need mge
Old May 30, 2002, 21:19   #30
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
MGE is a really good game. If it is costs a 10 spot or whatever, it will be well worth your time.

You will be schooled by the old-timers, though. Just get used to the idea.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891