King

Local Time: 17:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand

It's spelled secession. One "C" only.
Little things for little minds.

Quote:
Yes, Texas was a Republic, that voted to join the Union; and we care so much what "you'll say for us".
The last battle of the war was in Texas.
And the fact remains the same, only 25% of the total Confederacy had slaves.
The fact remains the war was about slavery. Stating the number of slave owners won't change that.

Are you claiming the war would have happened without slavery? Or are just venting over people telling the truth?
Old May 31, 2002, 19:11   #92
Ethelred
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ignoring the issue of slavery, who would you have wanted to win the civil war?
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

But Chris said tarrifs couldnt be applied...
Chris was rather ambigous.

US Tarrifs were and still are federal and in fact the Federal government's mains source of taxes at the time was tarrifs. I believe what Chris was saying is that tarrifs were not interstate. The tarrifs were on imports from other countries. The South did more importing than the North so they thought of it as a tax on them rather the tax on imports that it actually was.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:12   #93
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 21:42
ah, I see
Old May 31, 2002, 19:13   #94
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ethelred is correct Cal, I was not being precise.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:13   #95
Caligastia
Emperor

You are forgiven my son
Old May 31, 2002, 19:19   #96
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Shouldn't you be the one apologizing?
Old May 31, 2002, 19:19   #97
Ethelred
King

Quote:
No joke? My point flew right over your pointed little head.
Your points on this thread have consisted of irrelevant ones and personal insults like this one. You head is filled with your own unreasoned hate on this thread.

Quote:
While us terrible Texans were abusing the Blacks, the North was busy screwing over the Irish and everyone else they could.
Givemea****ingbreak.
No one said any such thing. Except you right now. If you think someone said that then perhaps its what you think about your fellow Texans as no one said it here.

Quote:
No more of this thread for me. Procede on. Think what you'd like.
We are dealing with truth. You are trying to evade it. You have hurled insults over imagined slights that only existed within your mind.

I note that you did not answer a single question but I will ask it again. If you are going to flee that thread that will speak for itself.

Do you think the Civil War would have occured if not for slavery?

That is really what the question the thread started with amounts to.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:24   #98
ZaphodBeeblebrx
Settler

Local Time: 20:42
Location: Henniker, New Hampshire, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Sol System, Orion Sub-Arm, Perseus Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Cluster, Local Super-Cluster, Visible Universe
I'm kind of torn.

On the one hand, I agree completely with MrFun's Constitutional Argument, while on the other hand, as a New Englander, I'm Culturally Predisposed to the Idea, that once a Law, or even a Ratified, Constitutional Amendment, crosses a Certain Line, probably dictated by Common Human Decency, it pretty much becomes, "Get out, while the Gettin's still Good!"

Perhaps even more important, are the possible Secondary Effects, to a Successful Southern Secession.

For a good example of these, I'd recommend, maybe as Required Reading, the book How Few Remain, and its Subsequent Saga, The Great War Series, all by Harry Turtledove.

Last edited by ZaphodBeeblebrx; May 31, 2002 at 19:35.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:35   #99
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

As I understand it, the tariff argument is more to do with the south wanting to sell cotton directly to the Brits rather than go through Yankee middlemen. The tariffs were to be imposed with Lincoln's election in order to stop the south from doing so.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:35   #100
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
No joke? My point flew right over your pointed little head.
While us terrible Texans were abusing the Blacks, the North was busy screwing over the Irish and everyone else they could.
Givemea****ingbreak.

No more of this thread for me. Procede on. Think what you'd like.
Come off it, Slowwhand --- I know you're usually better than this.

Your points about the abuse of the working class and immigrants in the North ignores or dodges the issue at hand here -- whether slavery was the issue that ripped the nation apart, and whether slavery was the basis for Southern economy.

On the count of slavery being the main issue -- I would have to say, most definitely yes.
On the count of slavery being the basis of Southern economy -- I would have to say, most definitely yes.

No one here is denying the abuse and exploitation of workers and immigrants that occurred in the Northern states.
At least --- I'm not denying that.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:42   #101
ZaphodBeeblebrx
Settler

Location: Henniker, New Hampshire, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Sol System, Orion Sub-Arm, Perseus Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Cluster, Local Super-Cluster, Visible Universe
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
As I understand it, the tariff argument is more to do with the south wanting to sell cotton directly to the Brits rather than go through Yankee middlemen. The tariffs were to be imposed with Lincoln's election in order to stop the south from doing so.
If true, unfortunately that would Invalidate MrFun's Constitutional Argument, as the COTUS, quite specifically, Outlaws Export Tariffs.

Are you sure that it wasn't a Protective, Import, Tariff, on European Manufactured Goods, that would then have Forced them, to respond in Kind?
Old May 31, 2002, 19:46   #102
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
On the count of slavery being the main issue -- I would have to say, most definitely yes.
I would say that slavery became the issue, just as nazi mistreatment of the Jews and other people became an issue. Wars are fought over money and power not morality.

Quote:
On the count of slavery being the basis of Southern economy -- I would have to say, most definitely yes.
IMO its probably true.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:49   #103
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm not going to read through this whole thread (100 posts in one day--yeesh!), but my preference would have been to let the South secede peacefully. I think relations between the USA and CSA would then have been similar to USA-Canada in real life, or at worst USA-Mexico. Going forward, the US would have had probably less inclination, and certainly less ability, to throw its weight around in world affairs.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:50   #104
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

I would say that slavery became the issue, just as nazi mistreatment of the Jews and other people became an issue. Wars are fought over money and power not morality.
I agree -- initially, Lincoln merely wanted to restrict slavery, not abolish it.
But then during the midst of the Civil War, he realized, as others have, that there was no turning back the clock -- it was time to settle this issue pernamently.

It began as a war for the Union, and nothing more, but then changed in the midst of the war, to securing one of the foundational ideals of our government -- liberty.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:50   #105
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ZaphodBeeblebrx

If true, unfortunately that would Invalidate MrFun's Constitutional Argument, as the COTUS, quite specifically, Outlaws Export Tariffs.

Are you sure that it wasn't a Protective, Import, Tariff, on European Manufactured Goods, that would then have Forced them, to respond in Kind?
To be honest, I'm not sure of the specifics. Its something I've picked up from a friend who's opinion I trust (that doesnt make him right of course).
Old May 31, 2002, 20:34   #106
Ethelred
King

Quote:

The Southern states were quite clear about in the Secession Documents. They didn't talk about money and the power was about the voting power they needed to maintain slavery.

The money was and power issues were both dependent on slavery. If there was no slavery the other issues would not have existed. The vote power issue in particular. The economic issue would clearly have had be a different one not based on slavery to exist.
Old May 31, 2002, 20:38   #107
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

It began as a war for the Union, and nothing more, but then changed in the midst of the war, to securing one of the foundational ideals of our government -- liberty.
Only from the North's point of view. Not from the South's and they were the ones that seceded.
Old May 31, 2002, 20:45   #108
Ethelred
King

Quote:

To be honest, I'm not sure of the specifics. Its something I've picked up from a friend who's opinion I trust (that doesnt make him right of course).
It was about IMPORT not export tariffs. The South didn't like the way the taxes were being spent and they didn't like the protective nature of the tariffs. After all it was the Northern industries that were being protected.

However there was a compromise on the issue long before 1860. There was some fear that the protective tariffs would be reinstated. Such tariffs were started up in 1961 to pay for the war effort. Those taxes would not have been needed nor would likely have passed without the secession. After all the Southern states would have voted against them. Without the Southern Congressmen and Senators compromise was nor longer an issue.
Old May 31, 2002, 20:48   #109
ZaphodBeeblebrx
Settler

For an indication as to just how an Independant Confederacy, would react to the Changing Times, towards the end of the 19th Century, just check out one of the Books that I referenced in a Post, on the Last Page, How Few Remain, as well as a not Quite Unrelated book, called The Guns of the South, also, by the Same Author.
Old May 31, 2002, 21:15   #110
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:42
Quote:
:
The last battle of the war was in Texas.
And the fact remains the same, only 25% of the total Confederacy had slaves.
No, Slowwhand, it was 31% of the Confederacy. 26% of all slave holding states, and not all of them joined the Confederacy, remember.
Old May 31, 2002, 21:35   #111
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred

The Southern states were quite clear about in the Secession Documents. They didn't talk about money and the power was about the voting power they needed to maintain slavery.
The point is that what are cited as reasons for war are not the real reasons. For example:

The cited reason for the gulf war was.......

The real reason was.......

The cited reason for the attacking Serbia was.......

Fill in whatever you like for any war, they're not likely to be the same.
Old May 31, 2002, 21:50   #112
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:42
Quote:

The point is that what are cited as reasons for war are not the real reasons. For example:

I disagree. You're talking wars that are fought in front of modern-day media with modern-day sentiments. I can think of plenty of wars where the cited reason was the real reason (WWI, WWII, Vietnam, The War of Austrian Secession...Thirty Years War...Peleponesian War... )

Besides, if this was the case, it makes the South look worse. I can understand and perhaps respect if they *really* believed in the institution and were willing to fight for it, even though I abhor the institution. If, however, they cynically used it as a cover for economic motives, that engenders no respect I find it callously evil.
Old June 1, 2002, 00:04   #113
Ethelred
King

Quote:

So your psychic. You even read dead minds. The real reason for the Gulf War was that Iraq wanted the Kuwaiti oil fields.

The real reason the Serb attacked the non-Serbs is that they want the land for themselves.

The real reason the SOUTH seceded and then started a war is that they feared they would lose slavery. They said so. Not just in official documents either. They ran for office on it. They newspapers said it was about slavery. Private letters discuss slavery. The only thing that could show otherwise is for the Psychic Network to be real.
Old June 1, 2002, 08:49   #114
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:

So your psychic. You even read dead minds.
Its funny, but I've only seen you retaliate to these kinds of comments. I guess you're learning how to sling it yourself now.
Old June 1, 2002, 09:01   #115
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:

The real reason the Serb attacked the non-Serbs is that they want the land for themselves.
They wanted the land that IS theirs, and has been theirs for hundreds of years. What would the US do if illegal immigrants in the Southwest tried to secede from the Union?
Old June 1, 2002, 09:09   #116
SpencerH
Emperor

I'll give you some examples then

The reason cited by the Nazis for the invasion of the Sudetenland was mistreatment of the german people living there by the Czechs.

The "real" reason was that the nazis wanted to take over Europe.

The reason cited for the cause of WWI was the murder of the Austrian Archduke.

The "real" reason was Imperial designs by european monarchs.

The reason cited for american involvement in the gulf war was to free the Kuwaitees.

The "real" reason was to protect our oil supply (there are lots of others to pick as well).

Boris, you really think you know the true reasons for wars that happened hundreds and thousands of years ago
Old June 1, 2002, 10:46   #117
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 19:42
A good number of Confederates actually fought for no other reason than that they felt they had to go with their state when it seceded, and that they could not fight against their people, Virginians against Virginians, that sort of thing. And Virginia, many people conviently forget, seems to have seceded mainly due to the fact that U.S. troops were crossing the border to go down and destroy already seceded areas. They saw this as invasion, and no one was going to tell them anything otherwise. The whole thing was one bloody mess. Nuff said.

The reason, of course, that Fort Sumter was fired upon, was because the people of South Carolina, who had claimed independence, believed that this was a sign of Northern aggression, and Major Anderson's hops around from fort to fort in Charleston harbor wasn't a help to the Union at all. In short, the Union brought about the firing by their own unflexibility. Of course, Lincoln had opted not to accept secession as legal, and so nothing was done at all about it. Nuff said.

I still can't shake the feeling, however, that slavery was already on it's last legs. I do doubt that, even had the South seceded peacefully, it would have survived much longer at all. That seems also to be the informed opinions of several major Civil War historians. Nuff said.
Old June 1, 2002, 10:57   #118
SpencerH
Emperor

Wasnt there some invention not long after the war that mechanized the cotton industry and removed the need for laborers?
Old June 1, 2002, 11:49   #119
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Do you mean the cotton gin, by Eli Whitney?
Old June 1, 2002, 11:51   #120
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

No, Slowwhand, it was 31% of the Confederacy. 26% of all slave holding states, and not all of them joined the Confederacy, remember.
At least you're consistently wrong.