Old May 30, 2002, 21:58   #1
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 12:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wishlist for the new Editor
Importing player-generated maps
It would be nice to be able to import maps created by some other application into the Editor. For example, I may want to use some other application to generate a map, and then import this map. An alternative would be to allow players to plug in a terrain generator into the Editor. For example, I might want to use my own software to create lots of 100-square islands for the ultimate Island map, and doing this by hand in the Editor is tedious.

Auto-allocate Resources
This would randomly allocate resources on the map, without changing the map. This will be useful when you have spent ages creating a map and you want to let the Editor allocate the resources for you. It can also be useful for juggling resources around if you're not happy with how they're placed. It should also warn you if some resource cannot be placed, such as no Oil or Coal.

Painting terrain
The CIV2 editor allowed you to copy a section of terrain, and use this as a brush for painting the map. This was quite useful, and I would like to see this in the CIV3 editor.

Adding new units, techs, buildings, terrain etc.
This isn't easy at present and should be a standard editor function. One thing I would love to do would be to add Desert Hills to the terrain mix - these would be normal hills, except they are desert-yellow and produce no food. I find it unconvincing how a hill in a desert is green and produces 1 food.
Old May 31, 2002, 15:57   #2
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I thought 1.21 added "none" to barbarian settings. If no barbarians, no free gold/warriors/techs/ warrior upgrades from fighting battles. You sure this is what you want?

I think "Desert Hills" are Kansas small towns, too arid to be plains, but do produce dry land wheat. That is in non drought years. Dry land wheat is wheat that is planted and there is no irrigation.
Old May 31, 2002, 16:29   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:42
When I think about desert hills, I think about hills in the Sahara which, don't produce any food. So the idea is relevant.

Starmouse :
All these ideas are good, but I hope Firaxis deals with more urgent priorities, except for the "adding stuff" part.
Old May 31, 2002, 22:58   #4
rhenric557
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:42
A good addition to the editor would be to allow civs to have three traites rather than just to. It would allow for many more civs, and some that are only slightly different but still unique, such as industrious, expansionist, militaristic, and industrious, militaristic, sientific.
Another would be simply put easier to build senarios, such as it was with civ 2.
Plus adding new units is something I greatly miss.
Old May 31, 2002, 23:41   #5
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 20:42
Quote:
Originally posted by rhenric557
A good addition to the editor would be to allow civs to have three traites rather than just to. It would allow for many more civs, and some that are only slightly different but still unique, such as industrious, expansionist, militaristic, and industrious, militaristic, sientific.
You can, can't you? The civ setting are checkbox selected, as opposed to selecting from two menus or something. Just select the three (or more. You can have all types) you want and voila!
Old June 1, 2002, 03:15   #6
TechWins
King

The ability to change the value of railroad movement!
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old June 1, 2002, 03:28   #7
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 12:42
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
The ability to change the value of railroad movement!
Yes ... I would love to have Railroads have merely a "large" value instead of infinite because this will make it necessary to place your troops carefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by rhenric557
Can already do this ... and I am also considering adding this to my current mod.
Old June 1, 2002, 08:06   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:42
hi ,

so in short , more terrain and more resources , .......

have a nice day
Old June 1, 2002, 16:39   #9
Oerdin
Deity

I'd like to see the ability to let enemy roads be used; albeat at a deminished rate.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 1, 2002, 17:00   #10
TechWins
King

Make all flags available for city improvements also available to wonders, and small wonders. That way it is possible to create a small wonder that gives +1 trade to all city squares and other matches.

An option to where a certain form of government CAN’T build a specific building, wonder, small wonder, or unit.

An option where certain buildings, wonders, or small wonders can be set as a requirement for building a unit.

Allow for advanced era technologies to have a prerequisite of an older era technology, and so the older era doesn’t have to be a required tech to advance in order to move on to the next era of technologies or moved to the advanced era. An example of this would be as follows: Feudalism should have a prerequisite of Monarchy, but in order to do that Monarchy would either have to be put in the Middle Ages era or make it become a required tech to advance to the Middle Ages, which isn’t the same thing as a perquisite for one single technology. Overall, just make it possible to match all techs with each other in terms of prerequisites.

Decide what units can be destroyed from bombing (lethal bombardment). An example of this would be to have submarines not destroyable by bombing, but to have battleships destroyable by bombing.

Include more options for units available to the Barbarians instead of just 2 land options and 1 sea option.

Allow for corralation between unit status and unit stats. Example, a veteran swordsmen could have a 25% attack increase (i.e. Civ2).
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.