Old May 30, 2002, 22:24   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
City-Planner and VP positions...
OK, the poll is closed and the People chose that the President shall appoint the positions from willing candidates. It was a close vote, but that's the final results.

So, who is willing?

I've seen interest posts from atawa, civman 2000, Immortal Wombat, and Bear, I think. Did I miss anyone?

Speak now, or be ignored. Declare for either or both. I just want to know who is interested in which. I will make my best choice for both jobs.

Duties:

1. VP - Take over for President if he resigns or disappears. Manage elections (announce self-nominations on the 23rd, post polls of the 26th, announce results on the 29th). And I can fill in while the VP is away if required. The President always does "other duties as required".

2. City-Planner - Manages existing cities. Looks at Workers in cities to best arrange them for overall civ goals. Suggests things to build in each city for the civ requirements. Manages happiness and Elvis/Taxman/Scientist assignments.
Note: New city assignments are generally managed by the Minister of Imperial Expansion.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 31, 2002, 04:52   #2
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I would very much like to stand for election as City Planner, please.

I've written down what I intend to do in the other post - generally increase productivity and tax returns in main cities, whilst ensuring we maintain our science and happiness levels.

I believe Gen. Hancock has seconded me?

Thanks

Last edited by Bear; May 31, 2002 at 06:40.
Old May 31, 2002, 07:56   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:42
I'll be VP, but I won't be able to announce election results because I'll be on vacation the last few days of the month and the start of July.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 31, 2002, 08:23   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:42
I would like to be accepted as City Planner of the glorious communist empire of Apolytonia.

As a loyal communist, I will promise to uphold the principals of equality of all men (scum), and concentrate the effort of the cities on producing the finest empire ever, capable of space flight as soon as possible. Science, science, science in the core cities, and war war war on the peripheral cities.
Old May 31, 2002, 08:28   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I support Immortal Wombat for CP!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old May 31, 2002, 08:43   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Thanks civman2000!

(I'd like to mention that I also have the backing of H Tower for this position)
Old May 31, 2002, 08:52   #7
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
As an active citizen, I could be interested by a nomination, but two things influence :
1/ I have difficulties with my own availability some weeks in June (especialy week-ends)
2/ As you can read , I'm not a native english speaker and my english is approximate : it's a handicap for putting the good questions clearly in the polls.
So, I decline,
but I will continue to take an active part in the debates.
Old May 31, 2002, 12:27   #8
Space05us
King

Local Time: 13:42
I support civman2000 for VP, and Bear for CP
(I know Bear is trying to be democratic, but in the mean time he has good plans for making us rich! )

money=power
Old May 31, 2002, 12:51   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I thoroughly believe civman2000 is willing and able to be VP. he has consistently shown his strong and well-formed opinions in this game, his want to fulfill what is best for the People, and has clearly shown the will to be in office.

Both Bear and IW have also shown dedication to the game due to their strong desire to add to the body of debate about a wide variety of issues that face us. In my mind either would supply us with the final member of an excellent Council.

JCP, c'est dommage que vous ne voulez pas etre un des "Premieres Comrades" de cette gouvernement. J'espere que vous me comprenez, parce que j'aimerais dire que votre abilite de parler anglais est meilleure que la mienne de parler francais! S'il vous plait, continuez d'annoncer votres idees sur n'importe pas de theme - ils sont tres utiles pour moi, pour decider lesquelles sont les meilleures.

Et le premier jeux de la Coupe de Monde - que est ce que ce passe?

Ministere de la Guerre,
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 31, 2002, 14:01   #10
Bear
Warlord

Soo..

We have Immortal Wombat who believes in maintaining our income, getting a huge technology advantage and funding war that way..

And we have me, Bear, who believes in hugely improving our income, maintaining our technological advantage and funding war that way..

I feel (and I assume IW does as well) that cities should have high productivity levels to build forces and buildings quickly.

Make your own conclusions

VOTE BEAR!
Old May 31, 2002, 16:02   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
I volunteer to be VP.
Old May 31, 2002, 17:03   #12
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Amazing that we had 2 empty posts and only 2 contested High Council races. The politicking for VP and CP is as intense as anything we've yet seen in our little world.

Looks like a lot of good candidates, with some fully-formed thoughts and probably more game experience than I. Sorry, but I can't endorse anyone without a bit of research. Untili that happens, best of luck to all...

(Alors, MrWIA, votre francais est plus bien que le mien!)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 31, 2002, 17:23   #13
civman2000
Emperor

double post

Old May 31, 2002, 17:24   #14
civman2000
Emperor

Bear: is you seem to think it goes without saying that money is more important than tech.

MUERTE A LA FRANCES!!!!!! Todo el mundo debemos hablar solamente espanol!

Old May 31, 2002, 17:28   #15
Space05us
King

wha?
Old May 31, 2002, 17:29   #16
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Death to Frances Who, civman?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 31, 2002, 17:31   #17
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
Onzin, iedereen spreekt binnenkort nederlands. Nederlands onder alles!

Maar ja, de dood mag weleens alle fransen bezoeken...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 31, 2002, 17:34   #18
Bear
Warlord

civman, definetly not! But having a lot of money and a good tech advantage is just as good, if not better than having some money and a very good tech advantage.
Old May 31, 2002, 17:34   #19
Space05us
King

I can speak english, you know the language that all dumb people understand.... like me.... can someone translate?
Old May 31, 2002, 17:43   #20
civman2000
Emperor

La lengua que los bobos entienden es la frances! La ingles es peor que el espanol, pero mucho mejor que la frances!

Translation/traduccion: The lenguage that all the dumb people understang is French! English is worse than Spanish, but much better than French!

Old May 31, 2002, 17:47   #21
cavebear
Emperor

Copy and paste it to: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 31, 2002, 17:57   #22
civman2000
Emperor

That'll be a great trnaslation. I enjoy writing sentences and then translating back in forth between a bunch of languages and english and getting really funny stuff back

Old May 31, 2002, 18:08   #23
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
Francais n'est pas bete!!! C'est pour les intelligents. L'espagnol est pour restauration rapide (je plaisante, je ne suis pas raciste).

EDIT: Desole si j'ai oublie les accents.
Old May 31, 2002, 18:09   #24
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
That'll be a great trnaslation. I enjoy writing sentences and then translating back in forth between a bunch of languages and english and getting really funny stuff back
LOL! Yes, I've done that myself to great amusement a few times. But at least it gives you enough information to figure out what was being said.

Old May 31, 2002, 18:13   #25
civman2000
Emperor

No escuchen a los que hablan la frances. Todos saben que el espanol es la lengua de la mejor tipa de gente. LA FRANCES ES PARA LA GENTUZA!

Old May 31, 2002, 18:17   #26
cavebear
Emperor

Enough already!
Old May 31, 2002, 18:33   #27
civman2000
Emperor

hmmm... but not ?

Old May 31, 2002, 18:41   #28
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
hmmm... but not ?
No, not spam, just that it's embarassing to realize I can't speak any other language with any competency at all. I did learn Latin, but no one seems to speak that anymore. All I can remember from Spanish is "Yo hablo muy muy poco Espan~ol.

Old May 31, 2002, 19:15   #29
cavebear
Emperor

OK, I guess everyone has had a chance to declare their interest in the 2 vacant positions.

After considerable thought, I have made the selections.

For Vice President, I choose civman2000. Partly because he has been around a bit longer, and he has posted well and thoughtfully. And I'm not saying that the other interested parties for the position haven't, but civman just seems to fit the job best at the moment. And partly because he disagrees with many of my opinions. That may seem strange, but I think there is value in having some loyal opposition close at hand. It will give me an opportunity to subvert, er, I mean "learn from" him.

And don't worry about being away at the time the election results have to be announced, civman. You do the work setting them up, and I'll take care of the end part while you are away.

For Minister of City-Planning, I choose Bear. I think a Capitalist managing the development of Communist cities is a great idea that follows the historical imperative (we will take advantage of the talents of Capitalist pig-dogs to bury them in the dustheaps of history). Besides, with a name like "Bear", I almost feel like he is the cub I never had.

And, if it seems necessary, I confirm CannonFodder as Minister of Imperial Expansion. As an unopposed candidate, it was very unlikely that he would have lost had his position been polled. It's not his fault that my poll about combining the 2 positions confused things.

Old May 31, 2002, 19:16   #30
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
We have Immortal Wombat who believes in maintaining our income, getting a huge technology advantage and funding war that way..

And we have me, Bear, who believes in hugely improving our income, maintaining our technological advantage and funding war that way..
You forgot to mention that I am on a mission to save the world. What's your higher aim, Bear?

Actually, just to clarify, I believe I will be able to both increase our science and gold levels...

for you.
for your children.
for your children's children.
for your children's children's children.
for the world.

VOTE THE IMMORTAL WOMBAT