Old May 31, 2002, 06:00   #1
ramses II.
Prince

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
cities on poor terrain
I will found cities even on poor terrain (tundra/mountain/glacier/desert), supposed there are 3 or 4 specials nearby.
Later when I've got engineers I'll improve the terrain.
Old May 31, 2002, 13:31   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 19:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Any 3 or 4 special city spot is worth considering, IMHO.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 31, 2002, 21:59   #3
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:43
Depends on specials and land, I wouldnt build on a mountain just for an extra special.
Old May 31, 2002, 22:06   #4
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:43
I agree, if there were any grassland or plains squares which would allow me to split it into two 2-special cities I'd pick those over one mountain/desert site. Generally I leave founding cities in poor terrain until I have filled up all the nearby good spots anyway.
Old June 1, 2002, 00:56   #5
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
I just ICS using a checkerboard pattern.
Old June 2, 2002, 01:00   #6
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:43
Dunno, I started a game recently that was really ugly terrain. A whole lot of hills, mountains, and 1-2 tile lakes. There was a 3 Iron 1 Gold site centered on a hill with only 1 grass/plains tile in radius. Any takers?

That map would be a tough OCC.
Old June 2, 2002, 06:19   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:43
Serious candidate for a size 1 OCC attempt ?

SG[1]
Old June 2, 2002, 20:19   #8
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Here it is…
I've never done size 1 OCC, and I don't think I'll try as yet. You'll find the "prime" location due West but I was wrong: 2 Iron 1 Coal 1 Gold. Knock yourself out.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav occstart.sav (42.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Straybow; June 2, 2002 at 23:22.
Old June 6, 2002, 14:38   #9
Mercatia
Chieftain

Straybow how could that even be viable you can't get to that location for 600 yrs??? I won't play an OCC if I can't build a city by at least 3700. I tried 4 times and the closest I got was 3400 on your map?????
Old June 7, 2002, 01:01   #10
Straybow
Emperor

No, the challenging site is only about six tiles to the West. I founded in 3500 after roading and irrigating the only plains tile in radius, and starting a mine under the city site.

You can't grow bigger than 3 unless you build a Harbor and sacrifice the trade from the Gold long enough to grow. I'm at 720AD and AC looks awefully far away. I might Harbor, switch to Rep, celebrate up a size or two… but that sounds like a pain in the rear.
Old June 7, 2002, 05:25   #11
Mercatia
Chieftain

OMG!!! I wish you all the luck but that sounds painful!!!!
Let us know how it comes out?
Old June 7, 2002, 07:34   #12
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 01:43
Playing OCC4 on the 2 whale, gold & oasis site to the East of the start - got my left and right confused - built on a mountain - have got Colossus & MPE, pretty slow going - not giving myself much chance...

SG[1]
Old June 8, 2002, 05:22   #13
Straybow
Emperor

Hah! That's nothin'
You mean NE of the start? You've got Oasis and 3 grasslands, so it's almost a challenge to keep from growing. Due E there is a 2 Whale site, on the other side of the same Gold/Oasis, centered on a hill. No grasslands unless you irrigate the jungle.

I skipped MPE; 800 AD Colossus, Cope, and going for Newt as soon as I discover ToG (just started researching it). I tried to make a road from Rome to Delhi. I cheated to check the GoTo route with Explorers, and got a bizarre twisty thing over many mountains. Once nearly completed I was blocked by Ghandi's units so I decided to check the route again. This time the Exps took a different route. Repeated, same new route over and over. I don't get it.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	oddroute.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	17018  
Old June 10, 2002, 00:12   #14
Straybow
Emperor

AAAaargh! I accidentally over-wrote my log file!
Old June 10, 2002, 09:06   #15
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 20:43
Did you start from a different location? If you are checking between two cities, depending on which one you start from, the routes may be different.

RAH
Old June 10, 2002, 18:33   #16
Straybow
Emperor

It's a OCC game…
Pretty hard for me to start at the wrong city.

Seriously, if I changed rules.txt to a 9 move Exp he'd go the yellow route. If I started a 1 move Exp anywhere on that route, goto Delhi would follow that route. I tried clearing the area around Delhi of blackness; no effect.

I have now tried making Exps off the yellow route by 3 tiles and their first turn is to go to the nearest point on the yellow route unless Delhi was closer than 3 tiles. See me-rt1.sav.

me-rt1a.sav is where I was blocked and decided to go back. The hills tile north of Rome needs a road to complete the link. At that time the Exps still take the yellow route. Then I decided to swing around the lake and try from the Delhi side while thet caravan did some blocking.

By the time I got up there I decided to test the route again before I wasted more time. That was sometime after 100 AD. This time the Exps took the green route. I loaded my 100 AD save and it was still yellow route. 200 AD was the next save (me-rt2.sav).

You should see some of the imaginative routes taken to other cities. I can only think that so much mountain and water messes with it, somehow. See also Campo challenge where I posted a similar change in routes.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip routes.zip (24.5 KB, 1 views)
Old July 2, 2002, 03:44   #17
Straybow
Emperor

Bump — this thread strangely disappeared from the list.
Old July 6, 2002, 10:51   #18
Ren
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 11:43
Old threads tend to do that

herr_ren@gmx.net
Old July 8, 2002, 01:54   #19
Straybow
Emperor

No, not just old and dropped off the "bottom" of the list. The last post had been 10-6, and threads dated just before and just after it were on the list but not this. I had to search for my own post to find the thread.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:04   #20
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
No, not just old and dropped off the "bottom" of the list. The last post had been 10-6, and threads dated just before and just after it were on the list but not this. I had to search for my own post to find the thread.
Maybe the moderators have it in for you...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 19, 2002, 01:39   #21
Straybow
Emperor

Squeeked in under the wire
Well, I don't have much of a report to give since I lost the motivation to reconstruct the log after accidentally overwriting it. I was stuck at size 3 for a long time because I didn't have a Harbor (Seafaring passed over for critical path tech); afterwards I could use Rep happy growth to get to 6. It took Engr transformation and Ref to get to 11 in the mid-19th century.

AI beat me to Shake's and UN. Only the Germans were lower on the totem pole, and I only got tribute from them a couple times. I was so hard up for cash, without access to the seas to make trade easy, that using freight to build Hoover Dam was more cost effective than building Hydro and paying 4g per turn upkeep.

I hadn't time to build City Walls, so I lost population when subjected to bombing from the Germans and Egyptians after I launched. I barely hung on, landing in 2020. I can't imagine how Size 4 OCC is possible, much less Size 1 OCC.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mountainchallenge.zip (272.9 KB, 1 views)