Old May 31, 2002, 06:05   #1
ramses II.
Prince

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
disbanding cities
Sometimes your exploring units will find advanced tribes (cities). I often disband them if there is an excellent site site nearby - maybe only one or two fields away. I often have to sell temples, granaries and libraries of the advanced tribe - no matter.
Old May 31, 2002, 17:08   #2
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

caused by the little defect between huts and resources those cities will most of the time only need to be moved one square NE,NW,SE or SW...but normally you just keep them if they are > size 1 --> way to costly to replace

Shade
Old June 1, 2002, 22:11   #3
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It is rare that I keep a size one Adv Tribe. Even apart from terrain specials there is usually a far superior site only one or two tiles away. Also, in the early game the city is usually so far away that it is next to useless for trade and research due to corruption.

Disbanding almost always produces a NON unit, unless no other civ is closer than one of your cities. I haven't tried on a size 2+ city; what happens to the first Settlers unit when you disband? Does it become NON as well? Does it disband from lack of shield support in Rep/Dem?
Old June 1, 2002, 22:45   #4
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
unless its under immediate threat. I just let it become another locus of ICS
Old June 2, 2002, 00:40   #5
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 20:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
I haven't tried on a size 2+ city; what happens to the first Settlers unit when you disband? Does it become NON as well? Does it disband from lack of shield support in Rep/Dem?
When you disband a city all is lost...improvements should be sold off and units rehomed before disbanding...otherwise all you have left is the one Settler you just "got" from disbanding.
Old June 2, 2002, 11:33   #6
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 20:43
Straybow--

Depending on other game factors (proximity to AI, AC or conquest, game year, surrounding terrain for example) you may want to build a city, especially if it is too far to rehome. When you disband, the Sett will be attached to the city you just built with the first Sett; so, make sure you have accumulated enough food to support both Setts until the second can build in the "ideal" site.

If it is early enough in the game this twin-city at a distance Strat makes for good trading and can provide a base for future military operations. In Rep or Dem Govt you can accumulate a massive offshore invasion force while still growing in WLT*D. I like to have outposts around the world.
Old June 2, 2002, 19:42   #7
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:43
No, looking back I do remember disbanding a size 2 city too close to an opponent on a really huge map. I inc rushed a Settlers, then disbanded it in the city for 20 shields, and inc rushed again. As I recall it took a rather long time for the lonely nomads to reach my territory…
Old June 4, 2002, 01:21   #8
ramses II.
Prince

If the advanced tribe has a size > 1, I rush build settlers, found new cities until the advanced tribe is disbanded