Old August 12, 2002, 07:43   #61
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
Lucilla, IIRC mobilization is only possible after nationalism, I think a middle age GA is hard to combine with mobilization

DeepO
Oops, true....
Old August 12, 2002, 10:25   #62
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 21:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thesues, "I'm not very good at the palace jumping bit, which this map clearly called for..."

Maybe a thread on the the fine points would help. All I do is find a city on a river near where I want the palace jump to land. Then start the FP near the original capital and, as it concludes, if needed, pop out some settlers or workers from cities that would compete with the target location. (Admittedly, this scientific procedure once landed the new palace in the same city as the just-built FP -- didn't know that mess was even possible.)

Last edited by jshelr; August 12, 2002 at 15:20.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:48   #63
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 19:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
I mean 'disadvantageous' in a strategic sense. For example: you are low on research capabilities, miss important strategic resources, lack populations, or/and fall behind in cultures.
Mobilization can do wonders to give yourself a production boost. As long as you do not want to build anything but those things allowed under mobilization and you are planning a war soon, mobilize. You'll be able to wage war more quickly and more decisively. As soon as you get a peace treaty or eliminate your opponent you will automatically drop out of mobilization. If you are worried about culture flips, you might choose to not occupy the cities, parking units outside them and retaking every time there is a flip. Flips happen on your turn, so the enemy only gets one defender when it returns to him.

Mobilization is a win/win situation in my book, as long as I am not trying to pursue any kind of builder activity while I am at war.
Old August 12, 2002, 15:08   #64
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by jshelr
Thesues, "I'm not very good at the palace jumping bit, which this map clearly called for..."

Maybe a thread on the the fine points would help. All I do is find a city on a river near where I want the palace jump to land. Then start the FP near the original capital and, as it concludes, if needed, pop out some settlers or workers from cities that would compete with the target location. (Admittedly, this scientific procedure once landed the new palace in the same city as the just-build FP -- didn't know that mess was even possible.)
Is palace jumping still considered a good thing to do? I've still never done it - meaning abandon my original capitol. I have rushed the Palace in a new location with a GL, but that's not the same.

BTW, very fun thread to read through again.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 12, 2002, 15:18   #65
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I wouldn't hold up my view as state of the art, but building the FP near the current capital is very efficient in that you are using a core, corruption-free city to get the job done quickly.

The jumping part is not that difficult to plan either.

A GL is definitely easier and saves the shield cost in the core city at a minimum, probably also making precise FP positioning possible. But the jump is definitely in my toolkit and used quite frequently.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:37   #66
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:49
stupid question...
Yes, mobilization is great for those last three years before a spaceship launch.

However- should wartime mobilization increase the likelihood of generating a great leader?

Or is that just a stupid philosophical question?
Old August 12, 2002, 21:21   #67
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
I don't think mobilization increases GLs appearing, but what has always bothered me is that I don't know if it increases War Weariness or not. So far, the few times I used it it didn't seem to have an effect on WW, but I'm not sure...

DeepO
Old August 14, 2002, 05:27   #68
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dawidge

Mobilization can do wonders to give yourself a production boost. As long as you do not want to build anything but those things allowed under mobilization and you are planning a war soon, mobilize. You'll be able to wage war more quickly and more decisively. As soon as you get a peace treaty or eliminate your opponent you will automatically drop out of mobilization. If you are worried about culture flips, you might choose to not occupy the cities, parking units outside them and retaking every time there is a flip. Flips happen on your turn, so the enemy only gets one defender when it returns to him.

Mobilization is a win/win situation in my book, as long as I am not trying to pursue any kind of builder activity while I am at war.
hi ,

indeed it can , .....

and one thing you can do with Mob is to build units , and disband them in places that need a courthouse or so , or police station , ....just to get some shields fast

and while at it , when you take a city , 8 out of 10 there aint something in those places you take or get , so disband your old units there to get some things fast

have a nice day
Old August 14, 2002, 12:50   #69
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 02:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

Is palace jumping still considered a good thing to do? I've still never done it - meaning abandon my original capitol. I have rushed the Palace in a new location with a GL, but that's not the same.

BTW, very fun thread to read through again.
Depends on how much you care about the accumulated culture built up by your former palace. It'll get lost if you move it to another city.
Old August 14, 2002, 13:32   #70
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Does it? I find that hard to believe. If I destroy a civ completely except for one city, its culture will stagnate, but won't diminish. So why would the accumalated culture of a palace be lost? I can understand it has to start from 1 again, where a 1000 year old palace generates 2 culture, but destroying that would only mean less culture gain, and not a diminishing of culture...

DeepO
Old August 15, 2002, 15:03   #71
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
Does it? I find that hard to believe. If I destroy a civ completely except for one city, its culture will stagnate, but won't diminish. So why would the accumalated culture of a palace be lost? I can understand it has to start from 1 again, where a 1000 year old palace generates 2 culture, but destroying that would only mean less culture gain, and not a diminishing of culture...

DeepO
hi ,

, the culture value of what is gone (age) seems to be lost

have a nice day