Old June 1, 2002, 15:31   #1
High Lord J
Warlord

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Price
Does anybody know the price range in $ on the play the world expanison?
Old June 1, 2002, 15:38   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:49
around $30
Old June 1, 2002, 16:22   #3
High Lord J
Warlord

Is it worth it?
Old June 1, 2002, 16:28   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 18:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In comparision yes; in literal terms nobody knows yet.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old June 1, 2002, 17:02   #5
Mikhail
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:49
Does it matter if it's worth it? Everyone who would hang out at these forums will buy it regardless.

Anyway, the Clone Campaigns addon for Galactic Battlegrounds is $30, and all it did was add 2 civs, and nothing more. Same with AoE's the conquers, except 6 or so civs. They're actually adding a lot, as far as expansions go.
Old June 1, 2002, 17:21   #6
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 02:49
Quote:
Originally posted by High Lord J
Is it worth it?
No. Some of the new stuff should´ve been included in the original game. I refuse to pay 30$ for this "expansion"
Old June 1, 2002, 18:13   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 18:49
Quote:
Does it matter if it's worth it?
Rightfully so it does matter to some people.

Quote:
No. Some of the new stuff should´ve been included in the original game. I refuse to pay 30$ for this "expansion"
This all seems irrelevant to me.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old June 2, 2002, 05:00   #8
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

This all seems irrelevant to me.
au contraire, m´dear TechWins. It´s highly relevant. Firaxis ****ed us over good with the original game, now they´re doing it again. I hate doing a Coracle-style whining here, but Firaxis is a bunch of greedy bastards IMO.
Old June 2, 2002, 05:40   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I don't think Firaxis ****s us. Granted, MP should have been with the game, but the eight Civs, new graphic modpacks, new terrain improvements etc. definitely shouldn't have.
Plus, Civ3 is one of my best investments in terms of €/hour, after Diablo2 & Civ2 (which I had much longer). So I won't say they ****ed us : they sold us a "good" product, and now they're making us pay to upgrade it to "outstanding".

Btw : Firaxis releases the editor for free. I think they care about their fans, at least a little bit. And when you know the production costs of a game, trying to earn money back after another year of work is perfectly normal.
Old June 2, 2002, 07:28   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by High Lord J
Is it worth it?
hi ,

every dime , ...........

have a nice day
Old June 2, 2002, 07:37   #11
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 11:49
Down in Australia, it will probably be $49.95. Not bad considering how expensive it is to just live down here.

As for whether or not its worth it, I'd say it is. I just hope I can pay for it when it comes out (since I'm a student, even that will be difficult).

Ah well, I'll find a way. The game I see on my hard drive depends on it.
Old June 2, 2002, 07:44   #12
Miho
Settler

The mp feature should definately have been in the original game. They just wanted to charge us extra at a later date. I don't object to an expansion pack with new civs etc, as you would hope and expect them to add new stuff to keep interest going.

At the end of the day everyone that enjoys civ is going to buy it regardless of the price. Even if they say they won't, as soon as others have and start discussing it in the forums, or as soon as you see it in the shops you won't be able to resist!
Old June 2, 2002, 07:47   #13
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
as soon as you see it in the shops you won't be able to resist!
cause in the end the value/price factor is way higher than lots of lots of other products....
Old June 2, 2002, 07:55   #14
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
as soon as you see it in the shops you won't be able to resist!
cause in the end the value/price factor is way higher than lots of lots of other products....
hi ,

--- ---

damm right , .......they should send it to the international space station aswell , .......in the place of all these other games , ....

there are many people who are giving up slowly on smoking , cause they spend so many hours playing civ , ........
so its even good for your health , ........

have a nice day , only if you are on Apolyton , or a player of civ
Old June 2, 2002, 18:21   #15
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:49
its a ****ing company. i was satisfied with what shipped. i happily bought an expansion for civ 2 with multiplayer and scenario making stuff, and ill do the same for civ 3...whatever the price...
Old June 2, 2002, 20:20   #16
tniem
King

Local Time: 20:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
au contraire, m´dear TechWins. It´s highly relevant. Firaxis ****ed us over good with the original game, now they´re doing it again. I hate doing a Coracle-style whining here, but Firaxis is a bunch of greedy bastards IMO.
Well, every other Firaxis game came with MP before Civ 3 but they were with a different publisher. I have to believe that it had more to do with Infogrames and their wishes with Civ 3 than it did with Firaxis. Although, some of it might have simply been Infogrames saying, sure you can delay it and build in MP but your not getting any more money. Firaxis decided it was not worth it and released as is. In the end it was a monetary decision that wasn't entirely Firaxis' fault. But will I buy it? No, I wanted MP in the original, did not find Civ 3 very good and decided enoughs enough.
Old June 2, 2002, 23:34   #17
Thrawn05
King

$20 US.

If it's more... I'll fight with my wallet, and not buy it no matter what.
Old June 3, 2002, 11:59   #18
statusperfect
King

Even if the expansion sux I'll buy it just to support firaxis. (We want them to be around to make a Civ4 don't we?)
Old June 3, 2002, 13:01   #19
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

Well, every other Firaxis game came with MP before Civ 3 but they were with a different publisher. I have to believe that it had more to do with Infogrames and their wishes with Civ 3 than it did with Firaxis. Although, some of it might have simply been Infogrames saying, sure you can delay it and build in MP but your not getting any more money. Firaxis decided it was not worth it and released as is. In the end it was a monetary decision that wasn't entirely Firaxis' fault. But will I buy it? No, I wanted MP in the original, did not find Civ 3 very good and decided enoughs enough.
Yeah, it´s entirely possible that it´s Infogrames that is the greedy bastards. It´s a financial-backers-eat-financially-backed-world out there...
Old June 3, 2002, 13:03   #20
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
Even if the expansion sux I'll buy it just to support firaxis. (We want them to be around to make a Civ4 don't we?)
No we don´t. Not without Brian Reynolds. Check out RoN, it´s as Civ4 as it´ll ever be
Old June 3, 2002, 13:11   #21
PapaLenin
Chieftain

Just crack it and if you like it buy it if you don't like it or just don't want to pay the money, don't...It is that simple.
Old June 3, 2002, 13:12   #22
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

Civ3 didn't include multiplayer because what worked before really didn't work for internet gamers, namely people who used a match-making service to find their opponents.

Jeff
Old June 3, 2002, 13:18   #23
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:49
I guess Jeff you were sitting over there at Firaxis all this time and having fun playing Civ 3 over LAN, eh . It did have a LAN mode, no?
Old June 3, 2002, 13:23   #24
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
$20 US.

If it's more... I'll fight with my wallet, and not buy it no matter what.
hi ,

now , how much do you spent on stuff that you just eat , waste , or how much do you spend on stuff that one really does not need , ......

are you really going to say no when the thing shall cost 30 USD , ...

have a nice day
Old June 3, 2002, 13:35   #25
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by PapaLenin
Just crack it and if you like it buy it if you don't like it or just don't want to pay the money, don't...It is that simple.
And I bet you like to steal money from old people too...

This site does not support or condone people that break the law.
And that is what you are suggesting. You can hide behind the ole, they make tons of money so they don't need mine, or if they provided a free demo I wouldn't have to do this, type of lame excuses... but at the end of the day, you are still a thief...

So if you want talk about your illegal behavior, do it somewhere else. NOT HERE!
Old June 3, 2002, 13:38   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

And I bet you like to steal money from old people too...

This site does not support or condone people that break the law.
And that is what you are suggesting. You can hide behind the ole, they make tons of money so they don't need mine, or if they provided a free demo I wouldn't have to do this, type of lame excuses... but at the end of the day, you are still a thief...

So if you want talk about your illegal behavior, do it somewhere else. NOT HERE!
hi ,

Ming , thank you , .......;

have a nice day
Old June 3, 2002, 16:15   #27
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 21:49
Why whine about the price? Just wait a few months until you find it at a cheaper price.

But then again, I know that logic applies here about as well as it does to women at a shoe store.
Old June 3, 2002, 16:31   #28
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
Why whine about the price? Just wait a few months until you find it at a cheaper price.

But then again, I know that logic applies here about as well as it does to women at a shoe store.
hi ,

it seems to be the shop's who take the biggest part , and they are responsible for the "high" prices , ......it also depends where a store-chain buys , .......

also , infogrames seems to be guilty of "favoring" one shop to the other , ....in other words ; they sell it to store 1 at 15 USD , store 2 at 25 , ....and so on and so on , ..........

so in short , firaxis aint getting much more or less , the work likely with a pre-fixed price , ..........

have a nice day
Old June 3, 2002, 22:09   #29
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

now , how much do you spent on stuff that you just eat , waste , or how much do you spend on stuff that one really does not need , ......

are you really going to say no when the thing shall cost 30 USD , ...

have a nice day

Things such as foods as you implied, as NECESSITIES, and can't be avoided. Games like Civ3, and PtW are LUXERIES, and not required for survival. Therefore, your rebuttal to my post is poor. A good example would to get rid of the "eat" part. I only buy food that I know I’ll finish… so no, I don’t buy caviar.

Now for the things that I don't need. Not much. I spend a lot of time studying for college, so a single game can last me a long time. I'm still running a 3 year PC, no need for a $3K US 2.53GHz machine, no programs need that amount of power at this time. I’m waiting a couple of more years for a 10GHz computer with 1GB of RAM for about $1600 US.

Also, I don't spend that much, because prices overall are insane. Clothing for example, is 200% higher that what is really takes to make them, and STILL leave money for big boss keep if the prices were dropped.

This is an XP, not a full game. Therefore, it should be $20US just like every other XP. I bought a number of Xps for less then that (XvT: BoP was $15US at EB, which is notorious for adding $10 - 20US). We are only paying for them to plug in Multi-Player code, which is basicly cut & paste from numerous other games these days, so subtract $10US. We will do all the beta testing just like Civ3… so you can subtract $20US right there. What you get left is a little CD (I predict about 200MB on it in the end), with all the bells and whistles that should have been in Civ3, plus MP.

And no, I won't buy it even if it was $21 US. I'll wait. Patience is a virtue.
Old June 4, 2002, 03:29   #30
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
it should be $20US just like every other XP
i dont have full statistics for every expansion ever released but i see for example that the simd packs are at $30

http://apolyton.net/misc/