Old May 20, 2001, 23:09   #1
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 19:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Civ II for Mac: OS X or Carbon/Classic?
While I'm sure the decision has already been made by the marketing guys at Inforgames, I'm curious to hear the preferences of fellow Mac users: Which OS would you prefer MacSoft to develop for, OS X or a Carbonized Classic? My assumption is that a carbon classic would be playable on either OS X or 9.1, but without the new X features.

My vote is for X! My noted absence from Civ lately (aside from Cub Scouts) is mostly due to my becoming an 'nix head! I REALLY think there is HUGE potential in this new platform/OS for the Mac community and 'nix users in general. Plus I really like the idea of having a MP game crash and relaunch without having to reboot the computer!

------------------
Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
- Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
Old May 21, 2001, 11:42   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I am not sure, as of now I don't have MacOS X (I have to convince my dad to buy it), it is rather simmilar to Linux (unix), right?
I allways thought it nice to get a coredup instead of a crash (on my linux)...
This post isn't very clear, becouse I am not sure what I want...
Perhaps both
Old May 21, 2001, 21:49   #3
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 17:04
Lawrence of Arabia
Weeelll... I need an excuse for my dad to buy for me OS X, so i guess that where i cast my vote.
Old May 21, 2001, 23:21   #4
MacUser
Prince

Re: Civ II for Mac: OS X or Carbon/Classic?
Quote:
Originally posted by MacUser
My assumption is that a carbon classic would be playable on either OS X or 9.1, but without the new X features.
Let me clarify that statement. I double checked, a "Carbon" application is a "native" OS X application that will run in OS 9.1 if the Carbon Lib extension is present. It would run natively in OS X but would be missing some of the features of X such as the preemptive multitasking or protected memory (my personal favorite). However, the line from Apple is that a new app would be easier to write in "Cocca", the language which will be both native OS X AND have all the new features, but would only run on X and NOT 9.1. Thus for a totally new app, we will likely see a "Cocca" version, unless the marketing guys think the installed base of OS 9.1 makes a "Carbon" version more profitable. (note, I'm talking somewhat "out of my hat", so if this is only partially correctly -certainly incomplete- please correct me!

edit: add memory comment

Last edited by MacUser; May 22, 2001 at 22:44.
Old May 22, 2001, 12:46   #5
tniem
King

Local Time: 20:04
Many of the games earlier in the 90s shipped with both Mac and PC on the same disc (Warcraft II). Now, I don't expect the game to fit on one disc with two different versions, but can't they have a version where you can buy both in one box. I own a PC but I use a Mac at work. It would be great to be able to play Civ III on both without having to buy the game seperately.

As for which version of Mac, I vote OS X. It is oftly smooth and reliable.
Old May 22, 2001, 23:06   #6
MacUser
Prince

Something else occurs to me. If MacSoft writes in "Cocca" (OS X), then it would be very easy to recompile the source for Linux; extra profit for minimal effort! Or maybe the other way around: write in objective C for Linux and compile for OS X. Either way I predict marketed versions for both OS X and Linux! (note to real programers: yeah, I readily accept the fact that I may not know what I'm talking about! )

edit illiterate spelling

Last edited by MacUser; May 23, 2001 at 07:18.