Old June 1, 2002, 18:43   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
DirectX 9
From Gamespot
Quote:
One of the key features Microsoft has announced for DirectX 9 is a high-level programming language for graphics effects that should make it much easier for game developers to program and debug new effects. While the shader language in DirectX 8 was based on assembly, which requires explicit instructions for the most mundane tasks, the high-level shader language in DX9 is based on C and will work with Microsoft's Visual Studio programming tools. While this feature won't be used directly by gamers, it should address the common complaint that there aren't enough games that really use the vertex and pixel shader features in current high-end graphics cards.

DirectX 9 includes many other features as well. Some, like displacement map support and tessellation of surfaces, were announced with the upcoming 3Dlabs and Matrox chips. Others, such as version 2.0 specs for vertex and pixel shaders and real-time animation blending, haven't yet been revealed in detail. There are also additions outside of Direct3D, the part of DirectX that many games use for 3D graphics support. Most notably, DirectMusic has seen some improvements for low-latency playback, there's more support for hardware video acceleration, and DirectPlay networking has been enhanced and ported to work on PocketPC 2002 handhelds. The most wide-ranging changes to Direct X traditionally happen with the even-numbered versions, so it's somewhat surprising to see even this many enhancements in DirectX 9.
I just hope it will fix all the recent problems I've been having with my computer, though I'll probably end up just reformatting.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 1, 2002, 22:46   #2
tniem
King

Re: DirectX 9
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
I just hope it will fix all the recent problems I've been having with my computer, though I'll probably end up just reformatting.
What problems have you been having? Not much chance that DirectX will solve them unless they are graphic problems.
Old June 1, 2002, 22:57   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Graphics problems actually. When some features of my Voodoo 3 attempt to be used, games crash. New video drivers don't work and neither does reinstalling DX8. I took it into a shop and it isn't the card itself. I'm running out of options.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 2, 2002, 08:52   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I also have problems with directx8.1 - My sound card (SB PCI 128) has alot of conflicts with it and it gives me alot of trouble in some of the more recent games.

Do It Ourselves
Old June 2, 2002, 14:42   #5
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Graphics problems actually. When some features of my Voodoo 3 attempt to be used, games crash. New video drivers don't work and neither does reinstalling DX8. I took it into a shop and it isn't the card itself. I'm running out of options.
Did you say Voodoo 3?

Old June 2, 2002, 15:08   #6
Apocalypse
Emperor

Yes. I was really happy when I first got it. For the longest time I was stuck with an S3 ViRGE while almost everyone else had Voodoo 2s.
Old June 2, 2002, 16:01   #7
Raion
Prince

I will just suggest to try a GeForce type card - their driver's are reported just to be better from the start -- as it may still be the drivers for the card -- an ATI card I had with new drivers - corrupted files on my computer (only a couple) with CIV III, the nVidia drivers do not.

Otherwise, all graphics cards still are not standard as to options and to how anyone would program them all to work -- that had to be done with MS-Dos -- so which card would programmer's program for --- probably the one that is most widely used for games -- I just think that might be a GeForce type card -- I guess.

Too many cards -- DX was suppose to get rid of the problem with programming for different video cards -- guess Microsoft will fix it by the time............................

a standard comes out for all video cards!
I guess!
Old June 2, 2002, 16:41   #8
Apocalypse
Emperor

I'd get a GeForce card if I had money. I don't, so I'm stuck with hoping that it will fix itself. My Winamp just randomly fixed itself about a month ago.
Old June 2, 2002, 17:57   #9
Raion
Prince

Yeah, money would help!

I bought a cheap clone, seems to work well enough, although........
money helps!
Old June 2, 2002, 22:02   #10
Apocalypse
Emperor

I'm planning on getting a cheap clone in a few months, once I have money.
Old June 3, 2002, 21:48   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:50
The problem with your Voodoo 3 is that it's unsupported, and actually probably won't work with DirectX 9 at all due to lack of drivers.
Old June 3, 2002, 22:03   #12
Apocalypse
Emperor

Oh well. It isn't like I expected anything to get fixed.
Old June 5, 2002, 09:28   #13
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 13:50
DirectX 9 has only been released in Beta so don't rush into downloading it. Better to wait for the final version this fall.