Old May 21, 2001, 11:27   #1
jglidewell
Warlord

Local Time: 20:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The lost city of Atlantis
There is an assumtion in the game that when you gain a technology you never the lose the know how. Why?

Why not have a science maintenace or culture maintenace to keep some or all of the Technolgies. Use it or lose it so to speak.
Old May 21, 2001, 11:45   #2
Tabun
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by jglidewell on 05-21-2001 11:27 AM

Why not have a science maintenace or culture maintenace to keep some or all of the Technolgies. Use it or lose it so to speak.

A very realistic question. But would losing techs go over well with many gamers?

I would also hazzard a guess that Civ3 has plenty of techs for civilizations to attain and adding the potential loss of them would only extend the gameplay unnecessarily. Now on a brand new game built from the ground up, incorporating that would be a cool step to take it.

Plus, the whole Dark Age thing... say a leader abandons technological progress for added production and military might. That would be a good time for gained technologies to begin to fade away. The game-wide effects of this, I haven't considered. Basically because I'm supposed to be considering lunch, not Civ.

------------------
Tabun
"All the seeming of a demon that is dreaming" --E.A. Poe
[This message has been edited by Tabun (edited May 21, 2001).]
Old May 21, 2001, 11:45   #3
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 06:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nice...

Long term war
Severe Riots for a prolonged time
an economic crash
Nuclear holocast

Any of htem and more could give you more than enough reason
Old May 21, 2001, 11:58   #4
senowen
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by jglidewell on 05-21-2001 11:27 AM
There is an assumtion in the game that when you gain a technology you never the lose the know how. Why?

That is an interesting idea and would certainly enhance gameplay, however I don't think this would necessarily be good for the game simply because of the additional stress it would put on the AI. The more things that you ask the AI to look after, the less likely it will be able to do anything very well. I, for one, would rather have less complicated gameplay with much better AI than the opposite.

Old May 21, 2001, 20:58   #5
ancient
Prince

It Shouldnt happen easily..
Might be best if its only when your capital is lost or a city with a large science output and only semi important technologys should be lost and only earlie in the game like to the last century... but it is a good idea i think..
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	people.gif
Views:	58
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	3  
Old May 22, 2001, 00:04   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
It has been discussed before in threads looking at the rise and fall of empires. Unfortunately Civ makes you work pretty hard to get from 4000BC to spaceflight in 1800-2000AD without a single backward step. The whole model would have to be shifted if you wanted to allow for backsliding, stagnation, economic collapse etc.
Old May 22, 2001, 00:05   #7
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Local Time: 01:04
This has been dicussed also in november last year. Some pretty cool ideas came up then.
The ideas discussed also what would happen if a stone-age culture encountered technology from a far more developed CIV. What would f.i. happen if they captured (bribe) a tank, should they be able to use it properly, or would it go to pieces after one turn because of the fact that they just couldn't maintain it.
Would it be possible to keep encountered knowledge in a "dormant" state untill all the direct prerequisites had emerged. And yes also, and that's what this threat is about, could you loose "sciences". What if an opponent went for the destruction (sabotage) of all your libraries.
I don't think it will ever happen to me (if the AI stays flawd) in a game, but yes !!!, being able to loose sciences would add to the thrill of game.
Old May 22, 2001, 00:26   #8
jglidewell
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Vrank Prins on 05-21-2001 12:05 PM
This has been dicussed also in november last year. Some pretty cool ideas came up then.
Would it be possible to keep encountered knowledge in a "dormant" state untill all the direct prerequisites had emerged. And yes also, and that's what this threat is about, could you loose "sciences". What if an opponent went for the destruction (sabotage) of all your libraries.
I don't think it will ever happen to me (if the AI stays flawd) in a game, but yes !!!, being able to loose sciences would add to the thrill of game.

With the news of 'eras' and 'culture' this will be able to happen except one thing and that is the loss of technology. The computer is going to be keeping some number that represents culture and perhaps say if you did lose a few librarys to sabotage then yeah why not only even suspend the benefits of the tech and not the know how?