Chivalry -> Leadership -> Conscription -> Tactics 10 50.00%
Bridge Building -> Railroad 2 10.00%
Magnetism -> Electricity 0 0%
Medicine -> Sanitation 1 5.00%
Theory of Gravity -> Atomic Theory 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2, 2002, 22:06   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1720 Science
Well, in our last session we researched Steam Engine and began preparing for the Ironclad Offensive! We have now started researching Metallurgy and are about half done. The AI civs that we know are all researching either Feudalism or Invention. Techs they have that we don't:

Bridge Building (Romans, Egyptians, Americans, Indians)
Medicine (Romans, Egyptians, Americans, Indians)
Economics (Egyptians, Americans)

Following Metallurgy, the techs we will have available to research:

Magnetism (Galleon, Frigate, Electricity, obsoletes lighthouse)
Bridge Building (Railroad)
Chivalry (Knights)
Conscription (Riflemen, Fundamentalism)
Medicine
Theory of Gravity
Theology

After the last poll, there was a tie in the long-term paths between going for Conscription and going for railroad. Now, personally I think we should go with Chivalry -> Leadership -> Conscription -> Tactics, but if you disagree, let your voices be heard! Here is some indepth analysis of the possible paths (mostly copied from my last poll, as little has changed):

Conscription->Fundamentalism

Conscription will give us Riflemen (5.4.1) which our musketeers will upgrade to. Fundamentalism gives us Fundamentalism as government (well, duh) and Fanatics (if we go fundy, 4.4.1).

Chivalry -> Leadership -> Conscription -> Tactics

This path would greatly upgrade our attacking forces. Chivalry will give Knights (4.2.2) which are slightly weaker offensively than the Crusaders (5.1.2) that we already have. Leadership gives Dragoons (5.2.2) that any existing Knights and Crusaders will upgrade to. Tactics is big - with it, we can get Cavalry (8.3.2) and our dragoons would upgrade to them.

Bridge Building -> Railroad

Railroad will give us, well, railroads, as well as Darwin's Voyage (2 free techs) and is also a prereq for Industrialization (Transport (0.3.5, 8 units), Factory, Women's Suffrage).

Magnetism -> Electricity

Magnetism will give us Galleons (0.2.4) and Frigates (4.2.4). Our caravels will upgrade to one of these (but I'm not exactly sure which one. Military advisor?) However, it will also obsolete the advantages we have from the Lighthouse and make our Ironclad offensive less effective. As such, I believe we should put off researching Magnetism as long as possible. Electricity will give us Destroyers (4.4.6), which our ironclads will upgrade to. It will also negate the American's Great Library.

Medicine -> Sanitation

Um, no. Medicine gives Shakespeare's, which the Americans already have, and none of our cities are in need of the sewer systems that Sanitation provides.

Theory of Gravity -> Atomic Theory

The only benefits this path would provide is Newton's College. I believe we can wait on this for a while.

The reason that there are single techs up there as well as long-term paths is if you want to go a different route than I suggested (for example, Chivalry -> Medicine -> Theory of Gravity) then vote for the single tech (Chivalry in this example) and let me know your opinions on how we should proceed.

You have 3 days to vote.

Last edited by ixnay; June 3, 2002 at 12:40.
Old June 2, 2002, 22:42   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As Minister of WAR, my official recommendation is for the path to Tactics. We hopefully will not need the land units for a while (Superclads are coming!), but it will give us the ultimate upgrade with Leo's - Riflemen. We should be near unbeatable in defense, easily able to hold our soon-to-be new collectives in Egypt/America and it will set us up nicely for any future liberation wars that may be necessary. Furthermore, it brings us close to Fundamentalism, which, whether we turn to it or not, provides us with a valid way to win - Fundy and roll over everyone! We'll decide on that when we get to it, but I think having that option, as well as modern weaponry is too good an option to pass up.

Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 2, 2002, 23:21   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 20:53
i agree with MWIA, we seem to be at war with nearly everyone we are in contact with. I don't want to get into a long drawn out battle with the carthiginians or whoever else we attack next. modern weaponry will give us an edge to quickly liberate the oppressed masses of our enemies!
Old June 2, 2002, 23:47   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agree with MWIA, it's about time we focused on that central mounted upgrade chain!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 3, 2002, 00:37   #5
Space05us
King

Hey I agree with MrWIA too, what a coincidence
Old June 3, 2002, 09:24   #6
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

The free defensive bonus is too much to pass up.

Conscription first!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 3, 2002, 10:29   #7
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Um... frigates do NOT upgrade to anything except matches and theme parks.

Ironclads upgrade to destroyers, so don't build a fleet of veteran ironclads and then study electricity - all will be lost!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 3, 2002, 10:29   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

*mrburns mode

Excellent.

/me rubs hands together

/mrburns mode

Keep those votes a-rolling in!

Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 3, 2002, 11:29   #9
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

We do need to get fast and stronger land units. Our Musketeers are plenty strong for the moment, and we will really appreciate the Dragoons and Cavalry later. It feels funny not to be pushing for RR, but most of our islands are crossable in 1 or 2 turns, and ships are our main transport anyway.

Yes, let's head for Tactics for now...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 3, 2002, 14:30   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:53
practically speaking, I'm pro-science for the most part, and thus recommend Theory of Gravity, netting us Newton's College, which will boost our science further, and in the long term, meaning we reach Tactics almost as fast as if we went direct.