Old June 2, 2002, 23:44   #1
Vesperan
Settler

Local Time: 13:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Secret Project Movies (Problem)
Ive had a look around in some of the threads for this problem and couldn't find it - so Ill start a thread and ask about it.

After not playing SMAC for several months, Ive put it on my computer (and patched it to latest version) and it all works fine except for one thing - the secret project movies. I'll build a secret project, and most (but not all) of the time it will load the movie - but will then play it extra slow (around 1 frame per second) and without sound.

This happened with a full install (movies on hard disk), and without the movies on the hard disk. It also happens when I use either my cd-rw drive, and my cd-rom drive.

My computers specs are:
P3 450mhz running Win2k (with updates)
256mb sd-ram.
16x10x40x Cd-rw drive
40x Cd-rom drive
GeForce 2mx sh pro (64mb) graphics card
Latest direct-x version and drivers for gfx card.

Cheers for any help you can give.
Old June 2, 2002, 23:46   #2
Vesperan
Settler

P.S.

I am running SMAC and do not have the expansion pack.
Old June 3, 2002, 22:52   #3
stuntman19
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
When my CD-rom drive was starting to go bad I had some probs with the Secret Project movies, but no other parts of the game were affected for some reason. Sometimes they would play really slow or not play at all and then the project screen would appear that comes up after the movie. This might not be it but when I got a new CD-rom drive the problem stopped.
Old June 4, 2002, 07:23   #4
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
My CD ROM drive is on its last elbows (oh dear, Gagravarr popping up again), but I still seem to have no problems with the SP movies.
Have you tried playing them outside the game (by drag-dropping the file onto the player in Windows Explorer)? If they play OK there, then it must be a prob with the game; if not, it's likely the player.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old June 4, 2002, 07:27   #5
Cesa
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:53
What changes have you made to the computer since the last time you played (and had working movies)? Installed any video-codecs? Updated any drivers? Installed any programs that could have done any of those two?
Old June 4, 2002, 18:35   #6
Vesperan
Settler

Fanatic,
after trying to play it in a variety of programs I finally tried the 'playuv15' program that is in the movies directory of the cd. It worked, and they all play when I double click them now. Ive tested a couple of movies in game and they seem to be fine too - time will tell however if this was just coincidence or not.

Thanks for your suggestion, it may have worked..

Cesa,
too many changes to list - and hopefully if the movies keep working, I wont have to list them.