Old June 4, 2002, 10:01   #91
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

Ignore him, he is a complete and utter moron.
okay, how will people of the united states (NY) divide the gift? will they graze in the central park? how long will the qurantine be?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old June 4, 2002, 10:04   #92
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
Pearl Harbour was bad, but in the grand scheme of things it's a good thing it happened - what if the US hadn't joined the war? Mainland Europe would never have been liberated ... and even more people would have died.
Let me get this straight. What you're saying is that we really save your asses in WWII? I don't often hear that from someone on your side of the pond.
Old June 4, 2002, 10:11   #93
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
Of approximately (using round numbers here) 3000 victims in the WTC disaster, only 1000 remains have been collected and identified, and the cleanup is complete.
The rest were obliterated, just like all the office furniture.
Old June 4, 2002, 10:15   #94
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 19:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

America helps africans in many ways, but africans have to take some responsibility for their plight. Much of western aid is seized by corrupt despots.
How? By aiding UNITA so it (we) could destroy Angola and deprive Namimbia of liberty? By keeping Mobutu (one of your corrupt despots) in power while he ravaged Zaire? By aiding apartheid South Africa's cruel behavour towards the African populations within South Africa and without? The suffering and misery US foreign policy has wrought in Africa is greatly outweighed by any feel good aid we have sent to Africa.
Old June 4, 2002, 10:31   #95
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

Let me get this straight. What you're saying is that we really save your asses in WWII? I don't often hear that from someone on your side of the pond.
No, I said mainland Europe. I think Britain would have been able to hold off a Nazi invasion of the British isles, but I don't think we'd have been able to have liberated the continent (before the Russians did anyway).
Old June 4, 2002, 20:06   #96
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Monk
Gatekeeper, it really isn't logical to blame people for the we-know-better-than-you thing, while posting stuff like "I submit to you that you haven't an inkling of what America is going through now". What you're saying is that a given European cannot comprehend the situation which is an extremely arrogant point of view.
Believe me, the last thing on my mind at that moment was arrogance. It's from the heart, which I know doesn't happen much with many of us at 'Poly.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old June 4, 2002, 20:22   #97
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Wilkinson
3000 civilians have been killed in Ireland as a result of American funded terrorism.
I understand that that is an on-going subject of debate, one that I haven't been following.

Quote:
Look at the Basque seperatists in Spain. Look at the wars in the Balkans. We've seen many awful events occur on our continent that one particular event isn't as significant to us and it is to Americans.
True. Yet it's not also the same thing as what happened on Sept. 11, 2001. More than 3,000 people died in the span of a single hour. That which you describe is actual war in the latter case and scattershot one to four people injured/dead per incident terrorism in the former case over a span of decades.

The dead are dead, no matter how they died. But what makes it different to me is that in Spain, the deaths total up over the passage of many years and multiple little incidents, all gradually eating away at one's spirit. Spain — along with Britain and its Irish situation — has had years in which to suffer the mosquito and gnat bites of terrorism, and it's inured you to a degree, I think, that we never had in America. Across the pond, so to speak, we've had our Black Panthers, the Weathermen and so on doing occasioinal acts of homegrown terrorism ... yet never to the degree that went on in Britain and Spain. Until Sept. 11, that is. Everything changed on that day.

The IRA has never struck with such deadliness in a single incident. Nor have the Basque separtists. The psychological shock is the major differing factor for me. In an hour America lost more than 3,000 people unexpectedly ... whereas Spain and Britain (among other nations) have also lost people to terrorism, but it happened on a time scale of decades and has never had one powerful deadly moment that will ring through the ages on a planetary scale (yet).

It's like telling the people of Bhopal, India, to get over Union Carbide because, hey, other people throughout the world have succumbed to industrial accidents throughout the years and on differing body count scales. You can't just do that and expect it to happen because, hey, nine months have passed.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius