Old June 3, 2002, 18:54   #1
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Building Spaceship Components
Perhaps this has been answered here before, but I am only now building my first spaceship. I notice that the spaceship components are not available to all cities on a continent in the build menu. In some cities, you can see the component in the build menu, but it is greyed out. At the same time, in other cities you can select the component. In still other cities, the components do not appear at all.

I wanted to start building my spaceship after I had constructed solar plants in my cities. However, on no occasion was a spaceship component available in the build queue. I had to build something else first, such as a tank. The spaceship components then became available.

What is going on?
Old June 3, 2002, 18:59   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 18:55
Gone to the moon yet (small wonder)?? Gotta do that before you start constructing any components.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old June 3, 2002, 20:01   #3
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Gone to the moon yet (small wonder)?? Gotta do that before you start constructing any components.
Yes, I had built the Apollo program.

BTW, does each civ have to build its own Applo Program?
Old June 3, 2002, 20:08   #4
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 20:55
The components are themselves small wonders. You can only have one city constructing each one at a time. If you want to change the city, make the city currently creating it make something else and then you will find the option available (as long as you have the correct resources)

EDIT: Apollo is also a small wonder, so everyone must build their own.
Old June 3, 2002, 20:27   #5
Ned
King

Yes, but at the time the components were greyed out, I hadn't even begun building component one anywhere.
Old June 3, 2002, 20:36   #6
Cyclotron
King

Hmmm... well then, check that you have completed Apollo, and make sure Aluminum is in your trade net. Aluminum is required for all but one of the pieces, IIRC.
Old June 4, 2002, 11:06   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:55
I think you need uranium for the fuel cells, and maybe one other component... got uranium?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 4, 2002, 11:42   #8
Cyclotron
King

Rubber is also needed for one of the components.
Old June 4, 2002, 13:25   #9
ShredZ
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hahah, I remember in Civ2 I would hold off on building the Apollo Program so that teh computer wouldnt be able to get his SS going. This thread just reminded me that doing that in Civ3 (which Ive been doing) is completely useless. :lol
Old June 4, 2002, 14:31   #10
Ned
King

I am sure that the spaceship components were available in some cities but not in others. Is this a resource issue? Regardless, tonight I will reload some of the saved games to see if the resources were available or not.
Old June 4, 2002, 14:33   #11
lorddread
Warlord

Local Time: 19:55
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
EDIT: Apollo is also a small wonder, so everyone must build their own.
Each Civ must build their own, but not each city which is what he was asking.
Old June 4, 2002, 14:34   #12
lorddread
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I am sure that the spaceship components were available in some cities but not in others. Is this a resource issue? Regardless, tonight I will reload some of the saved games to see if the resources were available or not.
Upload the game here. Let us take a look.
Old June 4, 2002, 17:38   #13
Cyclotron
King

Actually, lorddread, he said:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
BTW, does each civ have to build its own Applo Program?
And I answered that. Nothing to do with cities.

Ned: This might be a stupid point, but make sure your trade net is up and running too.
Old June 4, 2002, 18:07   #14
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
Guys, the possible solutions you give most of the times would mean the component is not visible in the build menu, not greyed out. If you don't have Appolo, or the required resources, you simply don't see it.

The only way you see a (small) wonder greyed out if you are building it in another city, have added it to the queue in another city, or have used some kind of rushing, like pop-rushing, cutting forest, disbanding units.

So, check to see it is build nowhere (if you have the build governor active, check these cities too), otherwise you have rushed something. Last option is to check all queues. (tedious...)

DeepO
Old June 4, 2002, 18:23   #15
Cyclotron
King

DeepO, that's what I said in my 1st post, but then Ned said

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Yes, but at the time the components were greyed out, I hadn't even begun building component one anywhere.
So, I don't know what to think. Just giving him every possible reason.
Old June 4, 2002, 18:36   #16
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 02:55
Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread
Upload the game here. Let us take a look.
Good idea
But if you aren't using last patch (1.21) please compress the save file as .zip or you'll overload this thread (or probably can't attach it at all, because you'll go over size limit).
Old June 4, 2002, 19:15   #17
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

cyclotron7, I was trying to point out that it could be possible that he had it queued somewhere else, but most likely this is a case of rushing. I encountered it many times building a costly building, in order to switch to a wonder with an advantage on the AI. One of those pesky automated workers cuts a forest, I didn't noticed at first, and when I want to change to the wonder I can't due to the rushing.

If I have to guess without seeing it, rushing is causing this. It would be conform being able to build in certain cities, not in others. Plus, being able to build it on the next turn

And like yourself, I was just mentioning all possible causes I could think of, one of those is having it in another city. But yes, Ned already said this was not it

I agree I could have been a bit more specific, sorry about that.

DeepO
Old June 4, 2002, 23:26   #18
Ned
King

In the attached file, Ishishdlwand (sp?) has just build a solar plant. At the completion of building the plant, no spaceship component was available to switch to in the build queue. Note that the spaceship components do appear in the build queue, but one cannot switch to them.

Now try any other city. You can switch production to the spaceship components.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav shaka of the zulu, 1876 ad.sav (166.6 KB, 10 views)
Old June 4, 2002, 23:51   #19
lorddread
Warlord

Here spaceship, spaceship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
In the attached file, Ishishdlwand (sp?) has just build a solar plant. At the completion of building the plant, no spaceship component was available to switch to in the build queue. Note that the spaceship components do appear in the build queue, but one cannot switch to them.

Now try any other city. You can switch production to the spaceship components.
At first I couldn't get any of the spaceship parts to build in that city. You had aluminum in the city which is what is needed for the parts. I finally had to dump what you were building (converted it to money and then back) and was able to build the spaceship parts. Fluke maybe. Could be PFBM also.

I am somewhat amazed that you are in the late 1800's and have already built the Apollo program. The earliest I have ever built it is 1990. That blew me away.
Old June 5, 2002, 01:07   #20
aebrahim
Chieftain

Re: Here spaceship, spaceship!
Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread

At first I couldn't get any of the spaceship parts to build in that city. You had aluminum in the city which is what is needed for the parts. I finally had to dump what you were building (converted it to money and then back) and was able to build the spaceship parts. Fluke maybe. Could be PFBM also.

I am somewhat amazed that you are in the late 1800's and have already built the Apollo program. The earliest I have ever built it is 1990. That blew me away.
I had the same result as you. I couldn't get it to make it initially, but after I switchced to Wealth, then I could change it.
Old June 5, 2002, 01:55   #21
Ned
King

LordDread, Maybe its the way I play. At some point in the game I am able to keep science at 100% and to still make a lot of money by trading the new techs I research faster than anyone else.
Old June 5, 2002, 02:37   #22
reefer addict
Warlord

just a thought , if you had any forest cut down and the sheilds added to the city your trying to switch to a small wonder , it wont let you. the same if you disbanded any units there. dont know if thats the problem here but they wont let you rush a wonder in any way other than a leader
Old June 5, 2002, 07:31   #23
DeepO
Emperor

As I stated earlier, this is most likely due to rushing. Cutting down forest is not possible, but did you disband units in that city? How would you otherwise get 40 shield for the jet fighter you're building there, the city is producing 70/turn.

DeepO
Old June 5, 2002, 08:13   #24
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 02:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Have you hurried up the solar plant in any way (disbanding unit, cutting wood...)? Like a wonder, it is impossible to hurry up a city improvement and then switch to a spaceship component/wonder.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:15   #25
Ned
King

I rush-built the solar plant in the previous turn. I did not rush-build and switch prior to completing the build. Check, the solar plant is there.

I hope this helps.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:43   #26
DeepO
Emperor

So how did you get 40 shields on the jet fighter then? That should be 70, or 0, not 40. Are you absolutely sure you didn't disband units?

DeepO
Old June 5, 2002, 12:27   #27
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Re: Building Spaceship Components
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Perhaps this has been answered here before, but I am only now building my first spaceship. I notice that the spaceship components are not available to all cities on a continent in the build menu. In some cities, you can see the component in the build menu, but it is greyed out. At the same time, in other cities you can select the component. In still other cities, the components do not appear at all.

I wanted to start building my spaceship after I had constructed solar plants in my cities. However, on no occasion was a spaceship component available in the build queue. I had to build something else first, such as a tank. The spaceship components then became available.

What is going on?
hi ,

Ned , would it be possible to post a SAV(e) , .......

have a nice day
Old June 5, 2002, 14:29   #28
Ned
King

DeepO, I did not abandon a unit. I simply rush-built the solar plant in the previous turn.

I am not familiar with the Civ III rules about carry-over shields. In Alpha Centauri it was capped at 10. Is it capped at 40 in Civ III?

Panag, I posted the saved game in an earlier post.

Ned
Old June 5, 2002, 14:34   #29
reefer addict
Warlord

sheilds dont carry over in civ3 ( or im doing something very wrong)

is it possible you disbanded units from the military advisor screen, sometimes i disband my week units from there and the city there in gets the sheild bonus
Old June 5, 2002, 14:40   #30
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

one way to go is build a building and at the second turn buy the building , ..... , ...the switch to a wonder , ....9 out of 10 you are half-way with the wonder , .....

have a nice day