Old June 6, 2002, 11:28   #61
lorddread
Warlord

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ned, I know what causing your Problem!
You purchased a messed a game with a bug in it! Either that or the Zulu's are afraid of heights.

That is the only explanation I can come up with. I did the following:

1. Qued the cockpit in Intombe
2. Qued the engine in Zimbabwe
3. Qued the docking bay in Isandhlwana

I did not rush build anything. These 3 cities only had 2 turns to complete what they were working on.

Both Intombe and Zimbabwe both completed their work and then went onto the spaceship parts. Isandhlwana wanted to build that jet fighter and nothing was going to stop it.

Govenors are identical for each of the 3 cities. Mobilization was set to normalcy.

I only checked these 3 cities, has this happened in any of the other cities?

The only thing I could think of was that there might be a limit to how many wonders you have in 1 city, but I discount this doe to the fact that you can build the part in Isandhlwana, you just have to jump through hoops to do it.

Dread
Old June 6, 2002, 11:53   #62
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:55
LD, Yeah, it was the same phenomena in all cities after I build a facility and regardless of whether I rushed or not. I had to build a unit to get the city to build a spaceship component again.
Old June 6, 2002, 11:59   #63
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This is very certainly specific to your copy/installation, it surely doesn't happen to me! I think you should report it to Firaxis as a bug, with all the possibly relevant info.

Re-installing might help, maybe that is something you could try... keep your saves of course

DeepO
Old June 6, 2002, 12:12   #64
Ned
King

How could it be a bug only on by system if the game bug shows up on yours too - the rules are violated.

DeepO and LD, just to make sure, did you download the 1874 game, rush the solar plant, then try to build the spaceship component in the 1876 game? If you did this and the game will not let you build the component, it is hardly true that "it never happened to you." It just did. The game engine appears to violate the rules under the particular circumstances of this game. We are just not smart enough to figure out what the problem could be.
Old June 6, 2002, 12:33   #65
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
How could it be a bug only on by system if the game bug shows up on yours too - the rules are violated.

DeepO and LD, just to make sure, did you download the 1874 game, rush the solar plant, then try to build the spaceship component in the 1876 game? If you did this and the game will not let you build the component, it is hardly true that "it never happened to you." It just did. The game engine appears to violate the rules under the particular circumstances of this game. We are just not smart enough to figure out what the problem could be.
hi ,

Ned , it would really be nice if there would be a responce from Firaxis , maybe you should mail them a short message with the SAVe , .....

as for the rest , next time play an other civ , ......

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 12:34   #66
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

okay, I'll try that now. But even then, as it didn't happen to me once before, I can't think this is intended. I can't say for sure that I was ever in the situation that I needed to rush a building, and after that started a small wonder, but I've played my share of games, and it never occured, or I would have noticed it.

Normally, if there is a wonder coming up, I switch from the building to the wonder, and don't rush it first... although I've build factories before universal suffrage, and coalplants before Hoover

DeepO
Old June 6, 2002, 12:50   #67
DeepO
Emperor

I just tested your save. Indeed, rushing, or building a city improvement prevents you from building a component. This has nothing to do with the present shields: if you switch the solar plant to a recylcing center (which gets built the next turn, without rushing), you're still not able to switch to a component, even if there are no shields present. How the shields get there is, in any respect, a mystery to me.

As a counter test, I tried one of my own saves, where I rushed a temple, and was able to switch immediately to the GL. However, I had to use pop-rushing, and couldn't find a save in which a wonder was present in the modern times (I don't save that often). I can't say for sure it hasn't got something to do with one of the later techs.

Still this is a very strange problem, and you might want to ask for an explanation from Firaxis.

DeepO
Old June 6, 2002, 13:12   #68
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

guys , just a tip that can save you from some troubles ;

update your windows system , ......

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 13:19   #69
DeepO
Emperor

true... but then it shouldn't carry over to my system from Ned's...

DeepO
Old June 6, 2002, 13:20   #70
lorddread
Warlord

I checked that too
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

It happened whether the city rushed or not. It has never happened to me on any of my own games. Just this one. There could be a flaw in his rules set. It is downloaded as part of the sav file.

There is a flaw in my rules file, that kills the game if you add new governments though this could be a flaw with 1.21.
Old June 6, 2002, 13:22   #71
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
true... but then it shouldn't carry over to my system from Ned's...

DeepO
hi ,

okay , scan the thing , a virus , ........

did someone play with the Arts / units files , ...or other files , ....

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 13:50   #72
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

Ned , it would really be nice if there would be a responce from Firaxis , maybe you should mail them a short message with the SAVe , .....

as for the rest , next time play an other civ , ......

have a nice day
Yeah, Panag, I'd like to play the Israeli's, great leader Sharon, Dyan, etc., with the special unit being the worker who is invincible when attacked by barbarians.
Old June 6, 2002, 14:03   #73
Ned
King

If it helps, I started the problem game with everything random on a standard world.

In my current game, I am the Germans. I have noticed no extra shields after building a facility. I have had no trouble building wonders after building a facility.

On the problem game, I never had a problem building a great or small wonder. I just had a problem with spaceship components. However, I never noticed whether the extra shield issue appears only after certain events occur.

BTW, LD, on all the other cities, was there a problem with extra shields appearing in the build box after completing a facility.

As to a virus, I have Norton Antivirus 2002 and have just run a complete scan with no hits.

My OS is completely up-to-date.
Old June 6, 2002, 14:03   #74
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Yeah, Panag, I'd like to play the Israeli's, great leader Sharon, Dyan, etc., with the special unit being the worker who is invincible when attacked by barbarians.
hi ,

okay , ...hmmm , we should start a thread on that , .....

but one thing , no politcs , there is room enough in the off-topic , .....

but how did you get there from this topic , .....

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 14:08   #75
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
If it helps, I started the problem game with everything random on a standard world.

In my current game, I am the Germans. I have noticed no extra shields after building a facility. I have had no trouble building wonders after building a facility.

On the problem game, I never had a problem building a great or small wonder. I just had a problem with spaceship components. However, I never noticed whether the extra shield issue appears only after certain events occur.

BTW, LD, on all the other cities, was there a problem with extra shields appearing in the build box after completing a facility.

As to a virus, I have Norton Antivirus 2002 and have just run a complete scan with no hits.

My OS is completely up-to-date.
hi ,

just to be sure , uninstall the game , the patch , delete , you have to find the folders true search , like firaxis , infogrames , civilization , etc , dont forget "documants" where some maps could be , ....reboot , and search again , if nothing found reinstall , ....and play , this way you are sure , ....

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 14:28   #76
lorddread
Warlord

Zulu Nation
I don't think Ned needs to do anything as drastic as deleting the game. I could be a hicup with this particular game or it bug with 1.21 and the Zulu's. If it bothers you terribly, by all means delete everything and start over. If not, I would note the problem and just play another race.

A question to everyone here: Is it just me or do all the ships in the game take the longest way to get somewhere? I hate seeing ships hug a coast line or take wierd tangents when you want them to go somewhere. Is there anyway other than plotting them one movement at a time, to avoid this. It irks me to see a battleship or destroyer hugging the coast instead of simply crossing a large lake or small sea.
Old June 7, 2002, 00:05   #77
Ned
King

Who or how do I report this to as a bug?
Old June 7, 2002, 06:29   #78
DeepO
Emperor

I don't know if there is a more direct way, I thought there was info in the read.me how to do it(can't find it right now), but at least it's possible on this url: http://www.firaxis.com/contact_gamefeedback.cfm#

DeepO
Old June 7, 2002, 06:41   #79
DeepO
Emperor

Re: Zulu Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread A question to everyone here: Is it just me or do all the ships in the game take the longest way to get somewhere? I hate seeing ships hug a coast line or take wierd tangents when you want them to go somewhere. Is there anyway other than plotting them one movement at a time, to avoid this. It irks me to see a battleship or destroyer hugging the coast instead of simply crossing a large lake or small sea.
Although it seems sometimes strange, that way is just as short as going straight. Ships are not the only units who have this behaviour, if you have a vast, known jungle in which you want to patrol a warrior, it also takes a bit of puzzling until he wants to go straight, and not in weird tangents like you put it. The distance is the same, but for patrolling you sometimes want him to go a certain way.... not much you can do about it, plus no error on firaxis' side: there is always one case in which this happens(going South, North, West or East) with these square tiles.

It does seems that units like to pass through friendly territory, so with the same distance they'll 'look' for friendly waters. Maybe that is what you're seeing.

DeepO
Old June 7, 2002, 07:43   #80
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Who or how do I report this to as a bug?
hi ,

maybe you should file it as a Q , .......

have a nice day
Old June 7, 2002, 12:02   #81
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
I don't know if there is a more direct way, I thought there was info in the read.me how to do it(can't find it right now), but at least it's possible on this url: http://www.firaxis.com/contact_gamefeedback.cfm#

DeepO
Thanks, I just pointed the folks at Firaxis to this thread. Ned
Old June 7, 2002, 13:59   #82
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

hi ,

lets hope that they give some feedback , so we can learn a bit , ....

have a nice day
Old June 7, 2002, 14:08   #83
Barry Caudill
PolyCast Team
Firaxis Games Executive Producer

Local Time: 20:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Okay, here is what is happening. You already have a Coal Plant in that city so building the Solar Plant will make the Coal Plant obsolete. The extra shields are from the city scrapping the Coal Plant, but that makes the game think that you are trying to rush build a small wonder (the spaceship parts). For the time being, you could go ahead and scrap the Coal Plant yourself before you rush build and that would allow you to start the next turn with a clean slate for building a spaceship part. Right now, we are not sure which route to take to remedy this situation, but Soren is definitely going to figure something out (probably for the next patch). Thanks for bringing this to my attention...you guys are the best

Speedy
2K Games/Take 2 Interactive
Old June 7, 2002, 14:15   #84
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed Bump

Okay, here is what is happening. You already have a Coal Plant in that city so building the Solar Plant will make the Coal Plant obsolete. The extra shields are from the city scrapping the Coal Plant, but that makes the game think that you are trying to rush build a small wonder (the spaceship parts). For the time being, you could go ahead and scrap the Coal Plant yourself before you rush build and that would allow you to start the next turn with a clean slate for building a spaceship part. Right now, we are not sure which route to take to remedy this situation, but Soren is definitely going to figure something out (probably for the next patch). Thanks for bringing this to my attention...you guys are the best

Speedy
hi ,

okay , but hey , wait a minute , the comp should not "scrap" , ....

have a nice day
Old June 7, 2002, 14:53   #85
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 20:55
Firaxis at its best.
Old June 7, 2002, 16:13   #86
Ned
King

Good point, Panag. I wouldn't mind it if the program gave you this option automatically.
Old June 7, 2002, 16:44   #87
lorddread
Warlord

scrap
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Good point, Panag. I wouldn't mind it if the program gave you this option automatically.
You can only have 1 power plant per city. So when you build a new one, the city has to scrap the old one. It's in the rules.
Old June 7, 2002, 17:29   #88
Ned
King

Re: scrap
Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread

You can only have 1 power plant per city. So when you build a new one, the city has to scrap the old one. It's in the rules.
Well, it looks like no one here on Apolyton was familiar with this particular rule.
Old June 7, 2002, 18:31   #89
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
hi ,

hmmm , okay , it should be an on / off option in the editor , ....

have a nice day
Old June 7, 2002, 18:46   #90
Panag
Emperor

Re: Re: scrap
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Well, it looks like no one here on Apolyton was familiar with this particular rule.
hi ,

still in most screen-views of the city's the plants stay's , ........

have a nice day