Old June 3, 2002, 23:02   #1
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 21:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Games that you regret not getting
I was recently recalling how my bad experience with the Overlord game almost led me to avoid buying the original Master of Orion classic.

That led me to think was there any games that I thought about getting, but for some reason decided not to - and now regretted that decision. I could only think of a couple (mind you I have nearly 60 games, so there can't be that many!):

Master of Magic
possibly Imperialism 2

And of course, Civilization 3 Regular Edition - I got the Limited Edition instead.

Anybody have any games that they now regret not getting or any games like Overlord that nearly made you avoid any other games in the same genre?
Old June 3, 2002, 23:16   #2
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 18:55
Oh, Sharpie, did you screw up royally! Imperialism II and Masters of Magic are both wonderful games.

I wish I had gotten Fantasy General.

I regretted not getting Thief and Thief 2--but two weeks ago I came across Thief 2 and bought it. It's great! I started searching for Thief 1 and finally found it yesterday. (Yeah, just try finding a discontinued game made by a now-non-existent company.)
Old June 3, 2002, 23:34   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:55
Star Control 2. I've heard so many good things about this, but I never got it when it was still in stores.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 3, 2002, 23:38   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Strange as it may sound, I regret never buying The Sims. It's still in stores here, though, so it might not be too late.
Old June 3, 2002, 23:49   #5
rwprice
Warlord

The two regrets that come to mind are the Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack and Imperialism II. I kept passing on the Planetary Pack, even though it was only $17! I was proud of my discipline, but later when I picked up SMAC and found out what a great game it was, I could have kicked myself for not getting the whole thing--now it's impossible to find for a reasonable price.
Old June 3, 2002, 23:56   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:55
MoM is petty bad IMO, so no big losses there.

You can try e-Bay or some auction site to see if people are willing to part with the games they own. Many are.
Old June 4, 2002, 01:05   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Half-Life
System Shock 2

But I seem to be repenting for my error, since I think I'll get both at very cheap prices .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 4, 2002, 01:08   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:55
MOO. I just don't understand MOO2 now that I try it. And this means MOO3 will be just as incomprehensible to me.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 4, 2002, 09:17   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

hmmm... I dunno... maybe Jedi Knight 2
Old June 4, 2002, 10:18   #10
MBD
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:55
There are a whole more games that I regret buying than games I regret not buying!

But I would agree about looking on auction websites like EBay for older games.
Old June 4, 2002, 10:47   #11
Rex Little
Prince

My only regret is Alien Crossfire. Everything else I've put off buying, I was able to get later either used or from the bargain bin.
Old June 4, 2002, 11:44   #12
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Strange as it may sound, I regret never buying The Sims. It's still in stores here, though, so it might not be too late.
Or Gateway is giving them away with a new computer if your in the market for that. I have regreted some purchases but normally if I regret a game long enough I can always purchase it later fo a cheaper price so it works out better for me!
Old June 4, 2002, 11:51   #13
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yup, Alien Crossfire here too. How many copies did they print? 3?

On the bright side, I'm perfectly happy with the factions as they are, and the "required CD" thing would have been annoying (which is part of the reason why I didn't buy it right away). But I'd like to have tried it at least.

Fantasy General has been impossible to find for awhile and I got it off theunderdogs.com. I will warn you that the game gets impossibly hard toward the end, mainly due to the fact that the bad guy's experience just goes up linearly for no appearnt reason as the game goes on- so every single one of his units will be super-veterans ready to come kick your butt.

Don't feel too bad about missing Imperialism II, Colonization! is still better. There were some good ideas, but conquest & combat just didn't work that well, and the economy model sucked beyond suckitude. It's also a classic example of the class of games that are beyond hard at first (at high difficulty levels), and degenerate into beyond easy if you survive because the AI is stupid at building. And they don't scale the cheats as the game goes on, so you have to give a pretty massive bonus to the AI, which might mean they crush you when you're still building and have no hope. But once you're set-up, you're fine and nobody will be able to touch you no matter how many cheats the AI has.
Old June 4, 2002, 11:56   #14
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

There is no "!" in Colonization
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 4, 2002, 12:56   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:55
There is in Spaceward Ho! Now there is a game.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 4, 2002, 13:46   #16
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

"Spaceward Ho!" was the first space game I played... around the same time as Civ1, right?
Old June 4, 2002, 15:13   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I played the demo for alien crossfire. I just couldn't get into the new factions. And it didn't seem to fit with the story for me. Although it was a demo so it didn't really explain how the other factions came to be with Alpha Centauri's history.

Everquest. Actually despite people loving this game, it probably isn't my type of game. But I still would have liked to check it out for a bit.

Starcraft. I'm not really into RTS games, but this game is talked about so much, I kind of wish I knew what people were talking about

MOO, or MOO2. I'm not sure which one here. I'm not familiar with the series. But I kind of wish I was familiar with the games, especially since people still talk about them often.

Pirates. Another game people talk about I have never played. Although I had a C64 back then I think. But they probably made it for the C64.

M.U.L.E. I think that's the name. I have never played it. but people talk about it saying its good.
Old June 4, 2002, 15:20   #18
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

There are no games I regret not geting.

If I want a game, I get it.

Do It Ourselves
Old June 4, 2002, 15:23   #19
Apocalypse
Emperor

Dissident: Pirates was made for many systems. I still see the Conquer the World pack that it is bundled in now and then (works for windows). What might actually be easier would be to get an old Sega Genesis and buy it's version of Pirates. I've seen Pirates for $5 and the system for less than $15 so it wouldn't be that bad of a monetary hit. The Sega version is actually better than many of the computer versions.
Old June 4, 2002, 15:46   #20
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 02:55
Alien Crossfire as well. Ignored it in the shops when it was released as SMAC hadn't really grabbed me. Played Civ 3, returned to SMAC and decided it was pretty good but no expansion pack.
I did see it the other day for £19.99 next to the orginal game for 9.99. Might have to bite the bullet on this one.
Old June 4, 2002, 15:46   #21
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
There are no games I regret not geting.

If I want a game, I get it.
Same here. There have been games that I waited a long time to finally get, and once I did, I regretted not having gotten sooner.

But to date, I have every game I have ever 'really' wanted; all 250+ of them.. and a few I regret having gotten!
Old June 4, 2002, 16:24   #22
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 02:55
I regret not getting Europa Universalis 1...

Actually I downloaded it, but I deleted it after playing for 10 minutes....
Old June 4, 2002, 19:16   #23
Tuberski

I regret not getting any of the X-COM games. And I regretted not get the Fallout games...until they came out in a jewel case for 9.99.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old June 4, 2002, 19:23   #24
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I have Alien Crossfire, but I must say the novelty wore off for me after a while. Most of the new factions are irritating; the aliens are cool but hard to use; and the "resonance" technologies are stupid.

The games I don't regret not getting are the newer FIFA games.
Old June 4, 2002, 19:55   #25
Jethro83
Prince

I definitely regret not buying Alien Crossfire. I was thinking "no, no. Wait until it gets cheaper" and all of a sudden, its gone without a trace, and the people running the shops that should be selling it deny that it ever existed.
Old June 5, 2002, 06:32   #26
Father Beast
King

I regret not keeping my 486/33 running dos 6.1 and windows 3.11.

I would be able to play a lot of games for which the slowdown programs don't work right.

I can still play them, but I have to go into bios setup and disable internal and external cache, and heavev help me if I accidentally load win98 while that is set!

I also regret not getting into Ultima while it was coming out. I have the Ultima collection, but I keep getting distracted by the oldness of it.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old June 5, 2002, 07:59   #27
aaglo
King

Local Time: 04:55
There are few games I wish I had, but never didn't.

Dark Forces (I played the demo and decided to get this game, but never found it in any store... )
Panzer General (I played Fantasy General...)
Heroes of Might and Magic (I know I would like this game, but I think I have no more spare time left)
Old June 5, 2002, 23:19   #28
RonHiler
Warlord

Local Time: 17:55
Bureaucracy by Infocom.

I *loved* the old Infocom games back in the day, and I always thought a bureaucratic nightmare was tailor made for a text puzzle game. Never got it, and now it's impossible to find.
Old June 6, 2002, 07:16   #29
Drew Dude
Settler

Well I've only just got a PC so there are games that I won't buy now that I think I would like because of games to be released. BG2 for example. It appears to be too long that I'd buy it, get part of the way through it and then NeverWinter nights will appear. I figure I might as well play that and be in on it from the start.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:58   #30
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 03:55
Master Of Magic
Imperialism 2
Fantasy General
Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (oh! wait, I got that one resently)
maybe Antiemtam