View Poll Results: WHat do you think conquistadores will be with their odd 5/3/3 stats?
They are cavalry that comes with earlier tech 3 14.29%
They are cavalry that does not need saltpeter. 2 9.52%
Both of hte above 4 19.05%
Both knights and cavalry that presumably comes with chivalry, same cost and resources as knights. 1 4.76%
A truly unique unit: does not replace anything, between knights and cav, upgrades to cav 3 14.29%
A knight that is unbalancingly strong 0 0%
An upgrade on some new unit (dragoon) that comes in PtW in between cavalry and knights 4 19.05%
The stats will be changed so it can be a reasonable UU for either knights or cavalry (such as being 4/3/3 or 7/3/3) 3 14.29%
Spain will have a different UU, nothing firaxis has said is final. 0 0%
Other 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4, 2002, 19:38   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
COnquistadores: What exactly will they be?
With 5/3/3 stats from the screenshot andmuch speculation over what they replace and how they replace it, I've decided to make a poll to see what most peaople think.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 4, 2002, 21:10   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:58
oh yeah, and if you vote other please explain what you think it is

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 4, 2002, 21:36   #3
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:58
Down with the sham or conquistadores! Vivan los tercios!
Old June 5, 2002, 01:10   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:58
My guess is a version of a new unit. After all, they wouldn't unbalance the game so much as to have a 5.3.3 knight. Why in the world would they replace both knights and cavalry with them?
I suppose it's a possibility that the stats will be changed... but geeze, there are so many combos of numbers for 'unique units' that you can have before they're no longer... unique.
Old June 5, 2002, 09:46   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think it's an upgrade of something between Knights and Cavalry. It's surely not an upgrade of Knights, for 5/3/3 instead of 4/3/2 is extremely unbalanced - beating Musketmen, easily beating Pikemen and running like a Firaxian followed by Apolytoners.
Old June 5, 2002, 10:09   #6
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 20:58
Sounds like a knight with an extra attack and extra movement.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 5, 2002, 10:19   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Pythagoras, don't you really think it's a tad too powerful?
Old June 5, 2002, 11:51   #8
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 20:58
I think that the unit is an earlier, weaker version of Calvary. It makes sense to me. It would give the Spanish an advantage during the time that they historically were powerful. It would come after Chivalry but before Military Tradition (probably with gunpowder), giving the Spanish an advantage over the other Civs with Knight UUs . Conquistador will need saltpeter. This would make the Spanish a force to be reckoned with until Nationalism and Military Tradition, when the Spanish would be a bit weaker than the other Civs. This approximates the period of the rise and fall of the Spanish empire, and I think that it would be a good idea.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old June 5, 2002, 21:18   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

They're cavalry (straight from Firaxis). Their numbers aren't definite, so they'll change them eventually.
Old June 7, 2002, 12:10   #10
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:58
I also think I've seem such information, but I don't remember where I've got it from... Do you remember, Trip?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 7, 2002, 12:43   #11
Jon Shafer

In the chat, of course.
Jeff said they were "light cavalry", and when we asked if 'light cavalry' was a new unit, he said they were just cavalry. So that's pretty definitive.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:09   #12
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:58
That kinda makes it look like it will be a weaker version of Cavalry that is available either through an earlier tech, or that requires less resources. Or both. Like nationalist said.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:13   #13
Jon Shafer

Who knows, the numbers aren't definite, so we don't know yet. They may just be another 6.4.3 or 7.3.3 cavalry unit.
Old June 7, 2002, 14:15   #14
Solver
lifer
Deity

As we now know, there's a Light Cavalry unit earlier in the Middle Ages.
Old June 7, 2002, 14:17   #15
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
As we now know, there's a Light Cavalry unit earlier in the Middle Ages.
Eh? What's that?
Old June 7, 2002, 14:31   #16
Solver
lifer
Deity

Trip, here it is:

Quote:
[monkspider] Firaxis: Can you comment on what unit the Spanish Conquistador is based on
[JeffreyMorrisFIRAXIS] Monk: Jinetes..They would have been called jinetes but the spanish version of the game used that name for cavalry. They're light cavalry.
[JeffreyMorrisFIRAXIS] Fast cavalry...yes.
[Trip] Firaxis: How is the Conquistidor different from regular cavalry (other than having a lower attack rating)?
[JeffreyMorrisFIRAXIS] Trip: those stats will no doubt change in testing.
That's it, from the chat with Firaxis. There's that Light Cav, and they also commented on Keshik...
Old June 7, 2002, 14:38   #17
Jon Shafer

LoL yes, I know, I was the one that asked. The way I understood that was that Conquistadors were light cavalry, which is based upon the regular Cavalry unit. After all, they told me earlier that the new units were Medieval Infantry and Guerrillas... why would they not mention 'Light Cavalry' as another unit as well, if they had meant to tell us?