Old June 7, 2002, 01:26   #241
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
This is similar to a corporation that buys a peice of land and is now the owner of the land. But who owns the corporation? The shareholders. Alberta is the corporation. Canadians are the shareholders.

So basically you're saying Canada owns Alberta, therefore what Alberta owns Canada owns?

Try that in practice, Tingkai, I dare you.

It may work like that theoretically, but not in the real world.

And your analogy doesn't work. Albertans are the shareholders, since they have say in how things work.

The rest of Canada are spectators.
Old June 7, 2002, 01:29   #242
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
No asher

I never argued that point with you. I folowed up a side issue which you have avoided for the second time and mentioned life experience as being relevant in shaping opinions in certain areas on which you have given opinions ( as in my example)
I'm ignoring it because it's not relevant to the thread in the slightest.

If you want to discuss it you can PM me or start a new thread...
Old June 7, 2002, 02:39   #243
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 09:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
And your analogy doesn't work. Albertans are the shareholders, since they have say in how things work.

The rest of Canada are spectators.
And I as a Canadian, I can have a say in how things work in Alberta simply by moving there, which I have the right to do without asking anyone's permission. That's the right of any Canadians because we are the owners of our government and our country. Can an American move to Alberta? Only by getting someone's permission. Can they vote? Only if they become Canadian.

Think of the rest of Canada as silent business partners.
Old June 7, 2002, 02:46   #244
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
And I as a Canadian, I can have a say in how things work in Alberta simply by moving there
If you move here and live for 6 months you're voting for the provincial government as an Albertan -- not as a Canadian.

You vote for the federal government as a Canadian.
Old June 7, 2002, 04:53   #245
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 09:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:

If you move here and live for 6 months you're voting for the provincial government as an Albertan
Me: "Never. I will resist. If I live in Alberta for 100 years I will always be a Canadian."

Asher: "Resistance is futile You will assimilate. I sense much fear in you. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to POWER. Join the dark side and vote for the Canadian Alliance."

Me: "No you can't make me. I'm a Torontonian. I will always vote NDP."

Asher: "Give it up. You are no longer an Eastern Bastard. Repeat after me "The oil belongs to Alberta. The oil belongs to Alberta"."

Me: "No! I will resist "This land is your land, this land is our land. From Bonavista. To Vancouver Island. From the Arctic Circle to the Great Lake waters. This land was made for you and me"."

Asher: "Argh. No! Not that song. Anything but that song. Stop, I beg you stop."

Me: "Ha, ha, ha. There's a reason why Ontario controls Canada."
Old June 7, 2002, 04:59   #246
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Note that I don't exactly like the CA, but it's the best shot we've got at a right wing government.

My favorite party is actually the PCs right now.

Isn't that fascinating.

Joe Clark seems to be on the ball. He marshalled the Calgary Gay Pride parade last year.
Old June 7, 2002, 05:26   #247
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Goooooooooooooooooooo Calgary WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOO!
/me jumps up and down and shrieks

Okay I'm going to bed.

Last edited by Asher; June 7, 2002 at 05:33.
Old June 7, 2002, 11:11   #248
Garth Vader
King

Garth: So why do the doctors keep hopping the fence?

This was answered by others, but I'd like to add that many of the people that move there have bought into "more money = better".

I lived in Calgary for about 15 months, and I'd rather be here. Cost of living is too much in Calgary, and it's too big. Sure I could make more but in my rage the taxes are comperable, and I'd have to make a lot more to pay for the higher housing costs.

I have no desire to spend that much time in my car either. It took 35 minutes to get to work in Calgary, I am under 10 here. That's a lot of time when you add it up, and that is tacked onto every trip you take, not just to work.

I will agree that the scenery was much better in Calgary. Those pictures of yours look fake. The real thing looks better, although I prefer the sun setting over the mountains.
Old June 7, 2002, 12:29   #249
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Those pics seem accurate to me.

and Garth, we all know that different situations suit different people. I moved to Calgary from a town of 100,000 after having grown up in a town of about 2000. Each was different and there is good and bad to each

I tend to like Calgary. We live only 10-15 minutes drive from work ( and in rush hour I can bicycle to work in less than 25 minutes on beautiful bike trails along the river). You must have lived far from work as I find that I can get from end to end in the city in 35 minutes . IF I take the bus, its about 30 minutes and I have learned to enjoy this as time to read and think.
Old June 7, 2002, 12:31   #250
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:

I'm ignoring it because it's not relevant to the thread in the slightest.

If you want to discuss it you can PM me or start a new thread...

Asher

shouldn't you have put those pictures in a PM or another thread as they are not relevant to the thread in the slightest
Old June 7, 2002, 16:39   #251
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
Asher

shouldn't you have put those pictures in a PM or another thread as they are not relevant to the thread in the slightest
I figured it was semi-related to the topic plus I was suffering sleep deprivation at the time.