Old June 5, 2002, 04:37   #1
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 20:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Collector's Tin"
i missed out on whether there was a resolution to the problem of a lot of people feeling a bit gypped by the collectors edition-- i know i was a bit unhappy with the contents (which, unfortunately, makes me never want to purchase a collector's edition ever again~)...

i was wondering. if there was no resolution, and if there is high enough demand, would firaxis/infogrames consider granting those with proof of purchase from the Collector's Tin a discount on the expansion pack?
Old June 5, 2002, 04:44   #2
aebrahim
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:59
Probably not. This would be a logistical nightmare.

Blizzard collectors editions are always worth every extra cent. I wish more companies would learn from them. Their games are always well tested, and never rushed to release, and the collectors editions are amazing.

Not that I'm ripping on Civ3, I think its a good game too. But the expansion pack wasn't worth it. I mean, a video of Sid Meier being inducted into the Hall of Fame is not really what people want. I myself purchased the normal edition, and I'm glad I did. I have no plans of purchasing the collectors edition of PTW.
Old June 5, 2002, 04:46   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
well perhaps you could get a discount if you showed your tin at the store
what other proof of purchase would be needed?
Old June 5, 2002, 04:50   #4
aebrahim
Chieftain

No store would accept that kind of an arragement. They don't want the responsibility of checking that kind of stuff. Any kind of price cut would probably be in the form of a mail in rebate. I think it would be nice, but pretty unlikely. I'm not getting the collectors edition of PTW anyway.

Warcraft III is another matter. I *must* get the collectors edition of that.
Old June 5, 2002, 07:44   #5
Cookie Monster
King

The whole fiasco with the Civ3 collectors edition has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will never buy another collector's edition of anything again. Never never..............

Now if they included a dancing girl with the PTW collectors tin then I might consider....................
Old June 5, 2002, 08:42   #6
Stuie
King

Local Time: 21:59
Re: "Collector's Tin"
Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
i missed out on whether there was a resolution to the problem of a lot of people feeling a bit gypped by the collectors edition-- i know i was a bit unhappy with the contents (which, unfortunately, makes me never want to purchase a collector's edition ever again~)...
I do not understand and have no empathy for anyone that feels "ripped off" by the collectors tin. They told you exactly what you were getting, it wasn't a big mystery. Personally, I never go for such gimmicks.
Old June 5, 2002, 08:47   #7
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The collector's tin didn't cost any more than the regular box, i don't see why people complain about it.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 5, 2002, 09:20   #8
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
The collector's tin didn't cost any more than the regular box, i don't see why people complain about it.
That may be the case now but at the time of release the collectors edition was $10 more than the basic game.
Old June 5, 2002, 09:36   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:59
And for people in the USA and many other countries 10$ isn't considered money .
Old June 5, 2002, 11:30   #10
Q Classic
Emperor

for a college student, us$10 can mean one meal not at the dining hall.

that's pretty f*cking important.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:32   #11
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
But this is precisely the problem my friend and it is not limited to just the usa. Man is evil and greedy

He will do anything to get what he wants. By selling garbage for $10 more than the regular stuff he hopes to sucker in enough people to make it profitable for him. He hopes that people will just say oh it's only another $10 I might as well buy the Limited Edition. I made that mistake. I have learned from it. I will not be fooled by man's evil greed again.

There was a time when a limited edition of a product was offered, the customer actually got something for his money. Today however, it is all about making money and hoping the public will be fooled into buying crap because it is "only" $10 more if you get my meaning.
Old June 6, 2002, 02:42   #12
aebrahim
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
for a college student, us$10 can mean one meal not at the dining hall.

that's pretty f*cking important.
Just think. Paying $10 for the Collector's Edition saved you from eating dining hall food. That in itself should make the purchase worth it, even if the actual stuff that you paid for was worthless.
Old June 6, 2002, 13:06   #13
dunk
Prince

Um, let me ask a question about this Collector's Edition.

Did it have printed on the box something called "Contents" or something similar?

I have seen good Collector's Editions. Pool of Radiance had a novel in it.
Old June 6, 2002, 15:00   #14
aebrahim
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
Um, let me ask a question about this Collector's Edition.

Did it have printed on the box something called "Contents" or something similar?

I have seen good Collector's Editions. Pool of Radiance had a novel in it.
I'm not sure about this. But I know that the contents of the CE were widely known at many internet sites before it was released. Basically, those who spent the extra money knew beforehand what they were getting.

They shouldn't b*tch about it, when they knew full well what they were getting.
Old June 6, 2002, 17:47   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
They told you exactly what you were getting,
Quote:
Bullshit. There were plenty of tins that didn't have everything. I for one, NEVER got the Designer Notes (did anyone?) or that signed note by Sid.

The tin was nice though .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 6, 2002, 20:08   #16
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
Yes and it was inaccurate. I'm just upset that I ordered it online. Imran said they might all be reserved by the date of release.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 6, 2002, 20:11   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Don't push it on me, man .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old June 6, 2002, 20:15   #18
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

It just broke the streak I had with TBS games with Sid's name on them. Now, of all Sid's TBS games, which is the most disappointing?

Anyway, I would have bought the CE no matter what, I would just rather have went to EB to purchase it.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 7, 2002, 02:07   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:59
The collectors tin contents were labelled in the loosest sense possible.
The designers notes (generally expected to be notes on how they designed the game) turned out to be a note from the designer (basically a cover-letter for the game).
The fold-out tech tree was of worse quality than if I had printed a screenshot from the game... and it looked as though that was exactly what they had done.

The tin was nice though. (although I wish they'd spent whatever extra for the 2nd cd and the other stuff, and just made the tin better quality).
Old June 7, 2002, 02:26   #20
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Since you don't seem to value money; will you please send me 10$?

Thanks.

BTW, if you can spare more, I'll take it!

Old June 7, 2002, 09:50   #21
Apocalypse
Emperor

I thought the tin was good quality. My mother likes collecting them and the Civ3 tin is better than many of those.
Old June 7, 2002, 09:57   #22
dunk
Prince

http://www.theonion.com/onion3821/general_mills.html

Here's a link I think is applicable here.

I'm also not too kind towards people who reserve copies of things before they're released and complain about them. I think it's funny that so many people here complain about the "Collector's Tin".
Old June 7, 2002, 17:45   #23
Switch
Prince

I got the tin. I don't feel cheated. I just wish they'd done the tech tree in the same quality as with SMAC.

BTW, I hope they release a better tech tree with PTW. SMACX came with an updated one, so why can't PTW?

BTW2, why are they so cheap that they can't include a tech tree with the regular box, when they made a better quality one for regular SMAC (which didn't have a LE).
Old June 7, 2002, 19:53   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Switch, I'm thinking the different publishers (EA for SMAC and Infrograms for Civ3) had something to do with it. Maybe there was a budget for how much the goodies inside the box had to be.
Old June 7, 2002, 20:01   #25
Switch
Prince

True. Too bad Infogrames bought the rights to the Civ title and not EA. Or, a t least I think that's how it goes. The tech tree for SMAC(X) was really good, and you oculd pin it up on your wall for easy reference.
Old June 7, 2002, 20:09   #26
Apocalypse
Emperor

Many people really put down EA but they are pretty good in terms of loose release dates and goodies inside the boxes.
Old June 8, 2002, 02:16   #27
Q Classic
Emperor

yeah, EA doesn't know how to develop games on their own, but they know how to publish. and when they publish other people's games, they do it rather well.

unfortunately, infogrames does not do that. they don't know how to make games, and they don't know how to publish well.
Old June 8, 2002, 15:22   #28
Switch
Prince

Doesn't EA make games? They have their whole EA Sports devision, and they made the Need For Speed series. I'd say EA makes some pretty good games.
Old June 8, 2002, 15:24   #29
Apocalypse
Emperor

EA Sports is only closely connected to EA by name. EA Sports' relationship with EA is no different that Origin Systems, Inc or Maxis.
Old June 8, 2002, 16:45   #30
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:59
Quote:
Originally posted by aebrahim
I'm not sure about this. But I know that the contents of the CE were widely known at many internet sites before it was released. Basically, those who spent the extra money knew beforehand what they were getting.

Many people pre-ordered the CE based upon what Firaxis and Infogrames said would be in the CE. They only found out right before the game was released that the CE would not contain many of the items and promotional things which were originally promised to them. Fortunately, I was not one of the people who got suckered into this but that doesn't stop me from empathizing with them.