Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 22:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Statement of discrimination
This from a local college booklet:

Quote:
Statement of Nondiscrimination

NYC Technical College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. The College does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, alienage or citizenship, religion, race, color, national or ethnic origi..............

.........The "protected classes" are defined as Black, Hispanic (including Puerto Rican), Asian/Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Italian American and women. The University will continue to exercise affirmative action for all of the protected classes.
This is an obvious contradiction.

Why dont they just be honest about it and make it quick and short? -

Quote:
Statement of Discrimination

We dont discriminate against anyone except White Males.
I was also interested to note that "Italian Americans" are one of the "protected classes". Do Italian Americans suffer racial discrimination?
Old June 5, 2002, 11:05   #2
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:00
Except that, Affirmative Action does not necessitate discrimination against white males, so your argument is pointless.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:08   #3
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Except that, Affirmative Action does not necessitate discrimination against white males, so your argument is pointless.
If everyone except white males are considered the "protected classes", then isnt that discrimination against white males?
Old June 5, 2002, 11:10   #4
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Many of these PC universities ought to have the slogan "the university is our world." They display their ignorance for all to see and think that we are supposed to be impressed by their education. Someone called them "educated fools", and I think he hit the nail on the head.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:12   #5
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:00
I believe that basic affirmative action is not racist or reverse racist, but calling a race a "protected class" is. The easiest way to get around all this is just to look at the background of the applicant so you can include race in the decision without getting so many people upset.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 5, 2002, 11:12   #6
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

If everyone except white males are considered the "protected classes", then isnt that discrimination against white males?
This is sooooooo typical how anti-AA people argue against affirmative action.

They use the fallicious strawman argument, such as the one that Cal is using with this thread by distorting AA as being reverse discrimination.

I guess this is the era of the whining, paraonoid white, straight man.

Last edited by MrFun; June 5, 2002 at 11:21.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:13   #7
Caligastia
Emperor

Interestingly, the racial makeup of this university is only 10% white. They seem very proud of this.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:17   #8
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
They use the fallicious strawman argument, such as the one that DinoDoc is using with this thread by distorting AA as being reverse discrimination.
Dinodoc posted here?

Quote:
I guess this is the era of the whining, paraonoid white, straight man.
You dont have to be paranoid to see that everyone except the White Man is in a "protected class".
Old June 5, 2002, 11:20   #9
MrFun
Emperor

Cal, there is a difference between protecting minority groups and discriminating against white, straight men.

But please, continue using that overused strawman argument of "reverse discrimination."

Sorry about the name mistake --- I corrected my post and put your name in, Cal.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:21   #10
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I don't get why they are "protecting" women though. There is more of them in colleges and universities than men.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 5, 2002, 11:23   #11
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Cal, there is a difference between protecting minority groups and discriminating against white, straight men.

But please, continue using that overused strawman argument of "reverse discrimination."
So you dont think that including every racial group except white men in the "protected class" discriminates against white men?
Old June 5, 2002, 11:23   #12
drake
King

Race shouldnt be a consideration for college. Just like it shouldn't be for a job. A resume or application should be enough. Best candidates get the job, best students get the acceptance. Cut and Dry.

Being coddled and pampered doesn't help anyone.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:25   #13
Goingonit
Warlord

AA isn't necessarily "reverse discrimination", but if you say:

-If you are not white, you are protected

folllowed by:

-If you are protected, we will be more likely to let you in

-Then it is clear that non-white people are more likely to be let in than white people.

Therefore, white people are being discriminated against, since they have less opportunity to be let in than non-white people.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:28   #14
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

So you dont think that including every racial group except white men in the "protected class" discriminates against white men?
No I do not.

The reason is because businesses and universities are agressively seeking out equally qualified minority group members over white men.

This is not reverse discrimination because businesses and universities still hire white men --- but, only when they have achieved the hiring or accepting of the number of minority group members that they seek.

They do not exclude every single white applicant in a business or university.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:30   #15
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

What did I ever do to you, Mr. Fun? Just for that: "The Village People suck and Madonna lip synchs!"
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 5, 2002, 11:32   #16
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
What did I ever do to you, Mr. Fun? Just for that: "The Village People suck and Madonna lip synchs!"

Not to worry -- I editted my post where I made the mistake.

I read a post of yours, DinoDoc in another thread and immediately after that, went to read Cal's post.
I guess that is why I made the name mistake.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:37   #17
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

No I do not.

The reason is because businesses and universities are agressively seeking out equally qualified minority group members over white men.

This is not reverse discrimination because businesses and universities still hire white men --- but, only when they have achieved the hiring or accepting of the number of minority group members that they seek.

However you rationalize it, it doesnt change the fact that if you include everyone except one group in a "protected class", that group is being discriminated against. Whether you think its justified or not is another matter, but its still discrimination. Have a read of Goingonit's post for a good summary of this.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:42   #18
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Hmm... I don't consider myself a "whining, paranoid, white, straight male" but I do think that "affirmative action" is a form of racism ("reverse" racism is a stupid term, IMO). That being said, I understand the good intentions for which it was instituted. I just wish there was some other way to redress the imbalance of opportunity in society. Isn't the development of a society where race/ethnicity/religious preference/sexual orientation/whatever doesn't matter the goal? I think we need to ask the question: does affirmative action further that goal? Perhaps the answer is "yes" right now. Perhaps it isn't. But at some point, the answer must become "no." Otherwise, affirmative action isn't working. If it does work, it will remove the need for itself.

Anyway, I'm not somebody who goes through life with a chip on my shoulder because I think I'm being jipped out of opportunities by minorities. I grew up priveledged, so I have nothing to complain about. But one can still analyse something critically without being a "whiner" (as some in the CivIII general forum would be eager to tell you).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:44   #19
Caligastia
Emperor

Arrian-
I agree, and Im not whining, Im just pointing out that if they were honest they would call it a statement of discrimination, not nondiscrimination.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:49   #20
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

NYC TC's Statement of Nondiscrimination: most racist thing I've seen this week.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:50   #21
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Hmm... I don't consider myself a "whining, paranoid, white, straight male" but I do think that "affirmative action" is a form of racism ("reverse" racism is a stupid term, IMO). That being said, I understand the good intentions for which it was instituted. I just wish there was some other way to redress the imbalance of opportunity in society. Isn't the development of a society where race/ethnicity/religious preference/sexual orientation/whatever doesn't matter the goal? I think we need to ask the question: does affirmative action further that goal? Perhaps the answer is "yes" right now. Perhaps it isn't. But at some point, the answer must become "no." Otherwise, affirmative action isn't working. If it does work, it will remove the need for itself.

Anyway, I'm not somebody who goes through life with a chip on my shoulder because I think I'm being jipped out of opportunities by minorities. I grew up priveledged, so I have nothing to complain about. But one can still analyse something critically without being a "whiner" (as some in the CivIII general forum would be eager to tell you).

-Arrian
Critically analyzing??

I have seen some anti-AA people provide good arguments other than the one-liner, "reverse discrimination."
But too many others seem to want to distort affirmative action, and not see for what it really is -- a system to undo past discrimination against minority group members and creating equal opportunity.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:50   #22
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sorry MF, but I must disagree...
Quote:
And that is NOT discrimination?
You are saying they will take anyone who isn't a white man, that sure sounds discriminatory.
It's also illeagal.

Quote:
As opposed to whom is best qualified for a postion?
That is indeed discrimination.

Quote:
Is the same distinction made for everyone in the protected group?
If not, it is discrinination.

You have created a cute buzz word lately with your "whining, paraonoid white, straight man", yet here you prove that Caligastia is correct.

You must abandon these buzz words, there is not a "straw man" argument, if in fact one group is favored over another, for ANY reason, it is indeed discrimination.
Old June 5, 2002, 11:53   #23
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Sorry MF, but I must disagree...
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
And that is NOT discrimination?
You are saying they will take anyone who isn't a white man, that sure sounds discriminatory.
It's also illeagal.

As opposed to whom is best qualified for a postion?
That is indeed discrimination.

Is the same distinction made for everyone in the protected group?
If not, it is discrinination.

You have created a cute buzz word lately with your "whining, paraonoid white, straight man", yet here you prove that Caligastia is correct.

You must abandon these buzz words, there is not a "straw man" argument, if in fact one group is favored over another, for ANY reason, it is indeed discrimination.
But I do see it as a strawman argument because reverse discrimination one-liners distorts the real purpose of affirmative action -- creating equal opportunity and undoing past discrimination against minority group members.

And perhaps you're right -- I will stop using "whining, paranoid white, straight man."
Old June 5, 2002, 11:55   #24
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

No I do not.

You are too funny Mrfun. You honestly think that selecting minorities over white men doesnt discriminate against white men. What you are basically saying is that discrimination against white men isnt discrimination.
Quote:

So because whites are not always excluded its not discrimination? By that logic you could say that because blacks are not always excluded by racists, its not discrimination. But you wouldnt agree with that because according to you its only discrimination if its against non-whites.
Old June 5, 2002, 12:00   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:

Critically analyzing??

I have seen some anti-AA people provide good arguments other than the one-liner, "reverse discrimination."
But too many others seem to want to distort affirmative action, and not see for what it really is -- a system to undo past discrimination against minority group members and creating equal opportunity.
Err, yeah, critical analysis: does affirmative action help acheive the goal of creating a society where race/ethnicity/etc. do not matter? That's what I meant. And I think it's a valid question.

I understand full well that AA is designed to reverse the effects of past discrimination. I accept that it may have been (or still be) necessary, at least in some instances (colleges are a good example, particularly the more exclusive institutions). Fine, but call it what it is: it IS discrimination.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 5, 2002, 12:01   #26
Caligastia
Emperor

Re: Re: Sorry MF, but I must disagree...
Quote:
But I do see it as a strawman argument because reverse discrimination one-liners distorts the real purpose of affirmative action -- creating equal opportunity and undoing past discrimination against minority group members.
Do you know the meaning of "strawman"? A strawman is when someone argues against something that doesnt exist.

So either you are accusing me of lying in my first post about what is written in the NYC TC booklet, or you dont consider discrimination against white men to be discrimination. Which is it?
Old June 5, 2002, 12:04   #27
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

You are too funny Mrfun. You honestly think that selecting minorities over white men doesnt discriminate against white men. What you are basically saying is that discrimination against white men isnt discrimination.

So because whites are not always excluded its not discrimination? By that logic you could say that because blacks are not always excluded by racists, its not discrimination. But you wouldnt agree with that because according to you its only discrimination if its against non-whites.
As long as affirmative action is meant to create equality and undo past discrimination, I will believe that affirmative action is justified.

Unless you can find a way to convince all whites not to discriminate based on race and gender??

I will toss out that flawed logic that you pointed out.
Old June 5, 2002, 12:06   #28
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As long as affirmative action is meant to create equality and undo past discrimination, I will believe that affirmative action is justified.

Would you be OK with tax reductions to blacks or women because of discrimination? I mean, where do you draw the line?
Old June 5, 2002, 12:07   #29
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm not opposed to giving Black people and others a level playing field, but it seems like a bad idea to make it unfair to one group to redress past mistakes.

When I returned to college for my engineering degree, the student body was 80% minority (In TCI, a technical college in NYC), and many of them were getting heavy finacial help, I recall a black girl I knew, she was 19, married with a son, and the Government was paying her tution, paying for her books, as well as providing living expenses.
I had help through my military service, but I had to pay for books and didn't get any extra money (I had to work nights to make ends meet, my family never had money, and being Greek/English I was in no recognized minority for support), and it was very tough.
I knew another guy there, a fellow Greek, who was getting almost no government money, his family was saving every penny to get him through, and he needed to work in the waldorf as a waiter to make it.
We were white men, we had to work our way through school, but a lot of our friends and fellow classmates were black men who didn't have to work at all, the gov paid the whole thing, even paid them to attend essentially.

Does that sound fair?
Think about if we (the whites) got the payout and the black kids had to work to stay, wouldn't you say that is racist?
It is a double standard, and a dangerous one, totally unfair, and yet another reason why AA should be done away with.

All PEOPLE should be given the same support based on their ability to pay, not skin color.
As whites, we were told to work to stay, as blacks they were paid to stay.
That's not imaginary, nor whining, it's truth, and it simply isn't right.
Old June 5, 2002, 12:08   #30
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Sorry MF, but I must disagree...
Quote:

Do you know the meaning of "strawman"? A strawman is when someone argues against something that doesnt exist.

So either you are accusing me of lying in my first post about what is written in the NYC TC booklet, or you dont consider discrimination against white men to be discrimination. Which is it?
First off, using a strawman argument is not always deliberate -- it can result from a mistake rather than deliberate distortion.
I never really said that you're lying -- but distorting the purpose of affirmative action.

Secondly, affirmative action may be a form of discrimination, but in this case, this type of discrimination is justified.
But then, you will counter with "two wrongs do not make a right."

In that case, we should never have attacked the Al-Queda in Afghanistan. Violence is a terrible thing -- so two wrongs do not make a right.
If two wrongs do not make a right, we should just let terrorists walk all over us -- but we are not doing that, thank God.