Old June 5, 2002, 16:16   #1
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
" Upsetting " World Cup
I know its just the first games and most of the favorites can still advance but

Senegal 1 France 0
USA 3 Portugal 2
Korea 2 Poland 0
Japan 1 Belgium 1

I wonder if this is one of the most suprising first sets of games ??

Also I was wondering if some of the people who had a consistent rant over the fact that there were too many weak non-European teams will fess up and admit that the rest of the world is catching up and perhaps European representation is just about right ( 15 teams is it not ?). The current record of European qualifiers stands at 5 wins and 6 losses with 5 draws so they are hardlyy showing any dominant strength.

With the exception of the embarrassment of the Saudis 8-0 loss, I believe that the largest margin of victory is 2 goals so we are seeing some good close games.

I don't doubt that Europe remains a very strong region but these results suggest that anyone complaining that Europe deserves even more representation is misguided at best.
Old June 5, 2002, 16:24   #2
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If I were Sepp Blatter (the unspeakable horror! ), I would try to cut the number of European teams down to 10 or so. There is already a European Championship, and the way it's now in the final rounds is just another European Championship plus Argentina and Brazil.
Old June 5, 2002, 16:25   #3
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
Maybe in order for Euro to compete they should have an EC team instead.

J/k

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 5, 2002, 16:25   #4
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Yeah, agreed entirely. I think European representation is spot on - the African teams have proved themselves more than worthy, and the Asian hosts have both done themselves proud.

I honestly think the Saudis just had a bit (lot) of an off-day, I don't think they're quite as bad as they looked against Germany (they won their qualifying section, ahead of teams like Iran).

And the US weren't bad either, I suppose.

Though just to nitpick, it was Japan 2-2 Belgium, and not 1-1 - personally I wouldn't call that an upset, having seen Japan previously, but still.
Old June 5, 2002, 16:26   #5
Thorgal
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 03:02
Quote:
Japan 1 Belgium 1
Japan 2 Belgium 2
Old June 5, 2002, 16:41   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 22:02
Didn't Ireland just tie Germany, 1-1? That would be an upset, no?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 5, 2002, 16:45   #7
C0ckney
King

Not really, both teams played very good football, a draw was the fairest result

Besides Germany have gone crap lately

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old June 5, 2002, 17:33   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

The only undefeated conference in this year's World Cup so far is CONCACAF, which is 3-0 (Mexico, Costa Rica, US). Shouldn't we get an extra spot from the Europeans?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 5, 2002, 17:37   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
i dont follow soccer at all but AMERICA WON.
Old June 5, 2002, 17:41   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Hopefully, they'll win a little bit more, and people will start to take an interest in soccer. It's a great sport... much more so than some others which dominate over here.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 5, 2002, 18:29   #11
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bee
If I were Sepp Blatter (the unspeakable horror! ), I would try to cut the number of European teams down to 10 or so. There is already a European Championship, and the way it's now in the final rounds is just another European Championship plus Argentina and Brazil.

In this WC there are 15 euro teams. Are you saying that you would remove 5 of these teams? And replace them with what? Honduras? Canada? Tibet? That would lower the quality very much.
Which euro teams should it be? Holland is not even at this WC, and i see Holland as the best of the teams in the world, that did not qualify.

5 of 10 countries in the COMMEBOL (South American) group qualified for the WC. Thats 50%.
15 of 51 countries in the UEFA group qualified for the WC.
Only < 30%. It is unfair to lower this even more.

I think that 15 teams from europe is fine.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old June 5, 2002, 18:40   #12
Solly
Emperor

There should be eight more spots available, and at least seven should go to European sides.
Old June 5, 2002, 18:42   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
There should be eight more spots available, and at least seven should go to European sides.
BWAHAHAH!

If there were 8 more spots, no more than FOUR should go to the Euros. They don't deserve it, as shown this year.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old June 5, 2002, 18:46   #14
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
BWAHAHAH!

If there were 8 more spots, no more than FOUR should go to the Euros. They don't deserve it, as shown this year.
Says an Asian living in the Americas.
Old June 5, 2002, 18:48   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Who knows that European teams aren't at the higher quality they used to be. Europe is fading as other continents rise.
Old June 5, 2002, 18:59   #16
JohnIII
Warlord

Nu-uh. We are still the strongest footballing continent by a mile. So France, England, and Portugal are going out, maybe. What about Spain, Italy, Germany, and Turkey?
Old June 5, 2002, 19:06   #17
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:02
go germans go.....hehe
Old June 5, 2002, 19:37   #18
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Considering that Japan and Korea are the host nations, and Portugal are very inconsistant, the only big surprise result is Senegal-France.
The USA winning was surprising, but not as much. And as JohnIII said, we'll still have more countries in the knock-out stage than any other continent
Old June 5, 2002, 19:56   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Nu-uh. We are still the strongest footballing continent by a mile.
Didn't say that. Said you are falling in power respective to the other nations in the world. I mean, you can't say you are gaining in power respectively!
Old June 5, 2002, 20:01   #20
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 12:02
It's true that more than 50% of South American teams qualified for the World Cup. That's because they're good. Are Slovenia, objectively, good enough to be there? Or Croatia? Talk about makeweights. England even are rather borderline, and I'm not convinced that Portugal aren't overrated after that performance they put on last night.

Even Ecuador played exciting football when they had the leather at their feet. What did we get from Sweden? Long ball, long ball. Let's face it, folks; this is not 1950, and Hidegkuti is long dead.
Old June 5, 2002, 21:06   #21
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 14:02
THIS IS THE WORLD CUP OF THE UNDERDOGS!

Don't you just love the underdogs, and it would be one of the few sports where USA are considered underdogs.

Even if these underdog teams eventually lose, they'll at least leave with their heads held high, with the exception of Saudi Arabia perhaps.
Old June 5, 2002, 22:38   #22
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Hopefully, they'll win a little bit more, and people will start to take an interest in soccer. It's a great sport... much more so than some others which dominate over here.
Agreed. Got very little sleep last night as I woke up early to watch the game. Man was it good for the American team after the embarassment of France '98. I hope that if the US can win one more game, maybe, just maybe there will be some buzz when the US enters the second round. Hopefully it will allow the slowly mounting American soccer experience to continue.
Old June 5, 2002, 23:26   #23
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Korea 2 Poland 0

This is an upset?!

I have to admit, I was shocked seeing how many people were predicting Portugal for that group in the World Cup thread. Not having followed soccer this year, there IS one thing I do know: that the home team traditionally does way better than it should in the Cup. I mean, look at how often the home team has won. Not to mention times that the home team did better than expected, like Chile getting to the finals when the Cup was held there, or the USA getting past the qualifying rounds to be beaten by Brazil when it was held here in '94.

So looking at the Portugal/USA/South Korea/Poland matchup, I immediately gave at least 50% chance that South Korea would win the division. I'd say that they still have my vote: I think that the US team is in trouble when they play South Korea next. But I wouldn't be surprised if they win their division and advance well. I wouldn't be surprised at Japan doing well, too.
Old June 6, 2002, 01:09   #24
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
And as JohnIII said, we'll still have more countries in the knock-out stage than any other continent
That's because Europe grabs 15 slots out of 32. You're just reiterating an unfairness
Old June 6, 2002, 01:14   #25
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

The 1-1 against Ireland was more than embarassing.

And before you ask: both of them.
Old June 6, 2002, 02:18   #26
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:02
You Europeans are just too scared to admit that us Americans and Asians arekicking your arses at your own game!

Old June 6, 2002, 04:47   #27
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Eight groups of five with top two qualifying would be good.

In the qualifying stages they could also widen the inter-confederation play. Have all "playoff teams" play a team from another confederation - same way Ireland played Iran and Uruguay played Australia.
Old June 6, 2002, 05:19   #28
Kropotkin
Emperor

true, underdogs have been winning a lot but who says that it could not as well has been European underdogs doing that? Even a poor team like holland can do that.

I have to admit (as I'm one of those complaining) that Africa has done well (but I've never questioned their presence like some other though) and also Costa rica, Mexico and also the US. Even if I don't think any of them will get futher than the second round.

The asian teams are still not good enough though. Winning at home in a competition like this is common. All host countries have done good in history. Japan and Korea are not any different. Asia can have two places but considering the quality of the two teams that qualified the normal way i can't see why they should get any more, they have been appaling.
Old June 6, 2002, 05:24   #29
Kropotkin
Emperor

i might add that although i don't think other parts of the world needs more places I'm happy about all those "upsets" (or most of them). Nothing wrong with that. A predictable tournament is a boring tournament.
Old June 6, 2002, 10:11   #30
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
The only undefeated conference in this year's World Cup so far is CONCACAF, which is 3-0 (Mexico, Costa Rica, US). Shouldn't we get an extra spot from the Europeans?
no,
your conference should delegate 1 team at most. three is too much. also, take one team from asia and hand it over to africa
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.