Old June 5, 2002, 16:44   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 21:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Are there enough "quality" civs left for Firaxis to eventually release another XP?
Taking into aco**** that the game can support up to 31 civs (32 if you count the barbs) then Firaxis could easily release another XP with seven new civs and other new features. The question now becomes whether or not there are enough interesting civs which could be included without having to resort to the likes of the Jamaicans. In my opinion, I would say yes. Out of the three major contenders for the last spot in PTW (inca, korea, Israel), at least two of them would be good additions to a future XP.
Let's see here if I can rattle off a decent list of 7 civs without going into too much study.
1.Inca/Korea/Israel
2. Inca/Korea/Israel
3. Portugese
4. Dutch
5. Ethiopia/Mali
6. Mayans
7. Poland? Polynesia?

Hmm, do you think such a set of civs would be "marketable" enough? There are a few big names on there....
Old June 5, 2002, 16:58   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Are there enough "quality" civs left for Firaxis to eventually release another
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Taking into aco**** that the game can support up to 31 civs (32 if you count the barbs) then Firaxis could easily release another XP with seven new civs and other new features. The question now becomes whether or not there are enough interesting civs which could be included without having to resort to the likes of the Jamaicans. In my opinion, I would say yes. Out of the three major contenders for the last spot in PTW (inca, korea, Israel), at least two of them would be good additions to a future XP.
Let's see here if I can rattle off a decent list of 7 civs without going into too much study.
1.Inca/Korea/Israel
2. Inca/Korea/Israel
3. Portugese
4. Dutch
5. Ethiopia/Mali
6. Mayans
7. Poland? Polynesia?

Hmm, do you think such a set of civs would be "marketable" enough? There are a few big names on there....
hi ,

yep , why not , .......

and it would be nice if they went to a total of 32 civs , playable and lets say 48 - 64 to chose from , ........

have a nice day / night
Old June 5, 2002, 17:05   #3
nationalist
Warlord

Poland- definately.

As usual I agree with your picks for civs (politcs is another story entirely ) I think that Poland is an especially worthy civ, more so than some of those included in this XP. There are large group of people in the U.S. that are of Polish descent, and would please many if included. I would add another Native American tribe (Sioux, Cherokee, or Cheyenne), along with a Polynesian civ. The Phoenicians would be a good choice if the Carthaginians weren't included. However, your list pretty much includes most of the "worthy" civs.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old June 5, 2002, 17:22   #4
KaiserIsak
Warlord

Local Time: 02:02
The khmer and the tibetanians miss
Old June 5, 2002, 17:22   #5
Master Marcus
Prince

Not difficult to think about any missing civ from the past, Native american or Middle-East, and why not the Neanderthals or the Martians ? Seriously, it's highly unlikely to anticipate a second XP. When the time should come to that, it would be the time to start the Civ 4 project instead.
Old June 5, 2002, 17:31   #6
monkspider
King

Nat- Thanks for the kind words!

Marcus- Well Marcus I don't think it's so unthinkable at all that there would be a second XP, especially since this one focuses mostly just on multiplayer features. Civ 2 had a number of a expansion packs, and Civ 4 is quite a ways off, at least based on the precedent of the length time between the current Civ incarnations. Even if some of complications that were involved in the making of Civ 3 aren't in place I still don't forsee Civ 4 in the foreseeable future in any event. Moreover, XP packs are all the rage these days, look at how many the Sims has received? Since Civ 2 recieved quite a few XPs, I see us probably getting at least a second for Civ 3.
Old June 5, 2002, 17:32   #7
monkspider
King

BTW, just between you and me, Infogrames seems like the type of comany that would milk a game franchise for all it's worth.
Old June 5, 2002, 17:36   #8
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
BTW, just between you and me, Infogrames seems like the type of comany that would milk a game franchise for all it's worth.
hi ,

yep , read the thread "price" , ..........

have a nice day
Old June 5, 2002, 17:37   #9
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Leaving out the Portuguese and the Dutch is an unforgivable sin so, yeah, there should be a second XP!
Old June 5, 2002, 19:14   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Very good list Monkspider. The only thing lacking is a SE Asian Civ (Khmer, Thai, Javanese or something).
I think all these Civs are marketable except the African ones, about which most gamers know nothing :
- Inca, Maya : their biggest achievments are well known, plus a bunch of American students go to Yucatan on vacation.
- Dutch, Portuguese : quite important in European history, and major colonial powers. It would please buyers from both continents.
- Korea : Becomes the country in fashion. Especially for (on-line) gamers, as they're first in the online gaming domain. The world cup also boosts Korea popularity.
- Israel / Hebrews : many poeple would want them, at least to play an ancient Mediterranean scenario, or to play a war against the Ararbs.
- Ethiopia, Mali : currently not famous, but they could become more known among Civers if included (ie : if Civers play against them repeatedly)
- Poland : ditto to Nationalist. Would also be useful in European scenarios (middle ages -> late 1700's, WW2, cold war)
- Khmer, Thai, Indonesians : interesting for Asian scenarios (incl. colonization). Thai risk to make it over the 2 others, as Thai culture is well known among tourists, and because Thailand is currently the richest country among the 3.
Old June 5, 2002, 19:21   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:02
They... could just... start on IV you know...
Old June 5, 2002, 21:02   #12
Master Marcus
Prince

Well, don't get me wrong, I'll be happy to see a second XP and even a third - like all of you wanting the skipped civs - especially Incans, Dutch, Portuguese, Thai, Indonesian, Sioux. It's just how I doubt they repeat Civ II's agenda about XPs and patches, but who knows...let's say again 5 full years of patching before a new civ project? Hmmmm...the market has changed a bit, but we can't read what on Sid's mind and his team...

Moreover I wish that Firaxis can upgrade the pathfinding on larger maps ( speeding up between turns ) , it's more important to me than 32 available civs.
Old June 5, 2002, 22:32   #13
monkspider
King

[monkspider] Dan, does Firaxis have any intentions of ever releasing a second XP in the future that you know of?

[DanMagahaFIRAXIS] monk, nothing on the radar yet, but my guess would be Infogrames call, if PTW does well it would seem like a good likelihood

Yay!
Old June 5, 2002, 23:19   #14
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 18:02
I think that the world map is running out of space to put all of these civs. Maybe space for 2 civs in south america (Incas and one other) also maybe Inuit in Alaska/Siberia. And also space for a West African civ. After that, the map will be too crowded.
Old June 5, 2002, 23:51   #15
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 12:02
A few there.

Mali, Ethiopia, Korea/Incas/Hebrews (depending on which ones don't make it first time around), Australia, Aborigines, Canada, Portugese, Dutch, Poles, just to name a few.

Anyway, I don't really care that much about overcrowding on the world map. You could just disable who you'd think are the less significant civs of a particular area. Most games I play aren't even on the world map (way too slow on my PII 350).
Old June 6, 2002, 00:31   #16
Scottskofski
Settler

Local Time: 03:02
I would love to see Poland created. Poland has a big cultural and langauge spread in Central/Eastern Europe. Not to mention Civ 3 lacks in Eastern Europe. Sid gave us only Russia and there are plenty more interesting contries in East Europe. Would love to see the historicle leader as Pilsudski and maybe the 1918-1939 Ulan as UU.
Old June 6, 2002, 04:09   #17
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 06:02
Vote for Central-Asian Civ. May be Uzbeks/Kazakhs/Turkuts.
Imagine: War For Caspian Oil.
Real History:
Huns Kaganat(Empire)
Turkut Kaganat
West-Turkut Kaganat
Turgesh Kaganat
Karakhanid's Khanat
Kimak's Kaganat
Khazar's Kaganat
Kypchak's (Coman's) Kaganat
Roaming Uzbek's
Kazakhstan
Old June 6, 2002, 05:25   #18
sgrig
Warlord

Apart from Korea/Hebrews/Incas, I would love to see the following countries:

1. Poland
2. Sweden (in 17-18th centuries Sweden was a great power in Europe and certainly deserves inclusion)
3. Byzantines
4. Armenia (although nowadays it is a small trans-caucasian republic, it is a very ancient culture, and at one time spread from Caucasus to Mediterranean, also was the first nation to adopt Christianity as official religion)
5. Ethiopians (ancient culture, uncolonised until 1935, so one of the few African countries to stay independent for a very long time)
8. Australians or Aborigines ( so that there is some civ on that continent)

Also more Asian civs would do, - maybe Thai, Khmer, Tibetans,
and some more Europeans - Portuguese, Dutch, Scottish, Hungarians, Romanians, Serbs. Other African civs could include Ghana or Mali.

So I think there are more than enough civs which could be included in future XPs.
Old June 6, 2002, 05:55   #19
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

http://www.geocities.com/kaganate/khazmape.html
Old June 6, 2002, 05:59   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:02
You can always, with a little research, find cultures with enough unique (or useful) attributes to make a game of it. Even the Goths - I could think of a UU, some city names and civ traits. And they were just nomadic Barbarians to begin with!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 6, 2002, 06:20   #21
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Spreading of Kypchaks
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	karta.gif
Views:	307
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	16832  
Old June 6, 2002, 06:27   #22
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Sun symbol of God Tengri. VI-VII AD. Dagestan
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	krest.gif
Views:	304
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	16833  
Old June 6, 2002, 06:28   #23
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

The who what now?

Ahh, one of those Mongol spin-off Civs. It could be good though, one of their attributes: natural mutual dislike of the Mongols, or maybe naturally inclined to be allies. Whichever you want.

Old June 6, 2002, 06:40   #24
KaiserIsak
Warlord

1) Incas
2) Timurids
3) Khmer
4) Tibetans
5) Mayas
6) Polish
7) Malis
8) Ethiopians
Old June 6, 2002, 07:00   #25
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
The who what now?

Ahh, one of those Mongol spin-off Civs. It could be good though, one of their attributes: natural mutual dislike of the Mongols, or maybe naturally inclined to be allies. Whichever you want.
spin-off? what it means? This nations aren't Mongol. They are Turkic. Don't mistake with both turks seljuks and osmans (ottomans). Distance between turkic and turks are as between germanic and germans
Old June 6, 2002, 07:09   #26
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Whoops. Forgive my ignorance, Montezuma - that period of history is not my strong point. But that is one of the peoples that came from East of the Black Sea and expanded over a huge terrain that had very few cities, and they likely lived on horseback - very similar to the Mongols, Huns, Parthians etc.

Old June 6, 2002, 08:11   #27
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
armenians!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 6, 2002, 12:35   #28
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

guys , having all these civ's is fine , but how about the colonial period , if one plays on a worldmap , very soon there is nothing left to take , ....

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 13:37   #29
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:02
Considering the Expansion Packs listed here on Apolyton, I easily see enough for 24 more civs without even trying.

As to what decides "quality civ", that is a personal choice issue for us, marketing issue for Firaxis. Just look at the civs that aren't in Civ 3, but were in Civ 1, Civ2 and its various offshoots, CtP, and CtP2.

Also, consider the good mods made here, at CivFanatics, 1BC, and other places. With C3PTW or Wiwi's ModManager, you can switch and choose if Firaxis doesn't add anymore later.
Old June 6, 2002, 13:49   #30
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

with all these civ's , ....we need a bigger map ,.......

have a nice day