Old June 6, 2002, 01:11   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Final Civ: Korea
At least, that's how it appears.

20:55:13 [monkspider] Firaxis: Can you comment whether or not the Hwacha unit featured in several screenshots is part of the feudal japan theme pack?

20:55:23 [JeffreyMorrisFIRAXIS] Monk: It is not.

00:32:18 [monkspider] Firaxis: One last question regarding the hwacha , Is it an Artillery-type unit?

00:32:25 [MikeBreitkreutzFIRAXIS] yes

[cyclotron7] Somebody above mentioned the Hwacha,and Mike said it is an artillery unit. If so, isn't it a pretty poor unit because of its inability to "win" combat, thus causing a GA? (Sorry if this has been answered before).

00:39:38 [MikeBreitkreutzFIRAXIS] cyclo: Maybe.... But there are other ways of getting a GA.

[cyclotron7] Mike: I know, but doesn't that put the Koreans at a distinct disadvatage?

00:40:52 [MikeBreitkreutzFIRAXIS] Would you say the Americans are at a disadvantage because the F-15 comes so late in the game?

00:41:44 [cyclotron7] MIKE: Well, at least the F-16 can kill fighters...

MikeBreitkreutzFIRAXIS] cyclo: I was just asking. I think it is kind of weak, myself. But I'm no designer. And I think the Hwacha is in much better shape... but then I know a few things about it that you don't.
Old June 6, 2002, 01:18   #2
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 21:03
I don't think we can consider Arabs and Ottomans 100% confirmed yet. All the other civs have multiple sources confirming their existence. But Korea is certainly at least 95% confirmed as far as I am concerned.
1. Mongols
2. Spanish
3. Koreans (95%)
4. Carthage
5. Celts
6. Vikings
7. Arabs (unconfirmed)
8. Ottomans (unconfirmed)
Old June 6, 2002, 01:20   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Not a bad bunch of civs, I can live with that.
Old June 6, 2002, 01:25   #4
monkspider
King

Yeah, I'm still shocked there is no American civ, and I wish the Hebrews were in it. But there's always next XP I suppose
Old June 6, 2002, 01:33   #5
Jon Shafer

Meh, all we're missing out on is a leaderportrait of King David.
Old June 6, 2002, 02:23   #6
nationalist
Warlord

After talking about it, i kinda wish that the Poles were included as well.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old June 6, 2002, 03:01   #7
Random Passerby
Warlord

Local Time: 02:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nooo! Lies, I tell you! I refuse to believe that the expansion would lack such vital geographic fillers as the Incas, Inuit, and Australian aborigines! Who needs hwachas and movable type when you have kangaroos and polar bears?
Old June 6, 2002, 03:46   #8
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 06:03
Quote:
20:55:13 [monkspider] Firaxis: Can you comment whether or not the Hwacha unit featured in several screenshots is part of the feudal japan theme pack?

20:55:23 [JeffreyMorrisFIRAXIS] Monk: It is not.

Originally posted by monkspider
3. Koreans (95%)
Koreans = 100%
Old June 6, 2002, 07:55   #9
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:03
I would say that only the arabs count as "unconfirmed". There was the ottoman leaderhead in the video (yes i'm almost completely sure thats ottoman because it looks like the classic image of the sultans in their harems (at least IMHO).

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 6, 2002, 09:39   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:03
I'm upset, I really hoped that Hebrews would come, not the Koreans, and I did outline the reasons in my other posts already.

Arabs and Ottomans aren't confirmed either, yeah.

Now look here... the Korean Hwacha is quite powerful, they say. What could it be? The easiest thing is if it's in the Middle Ages and has Lethal Bombardment (I only have Lethal Bombardment in the Industrial Age). Another thing could be the Hwacha's ability to bombard twice a turn, for instance.

Speculate on what is it!
Old June 6, 2002, 14:35   #11
Jon Shafer

Or they could be adding on to the combat system, and the Hwacha will have abilities that we can't even fathom yet.
Old June 6, 2002, 17:59   #12
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Celts aren't confirmed either, btw.

Ottomans seem to be by the video.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 6, 2002, 19:30   #13
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I don't know, Solver, it bothers me that PTW might come with lethal bombard standard. I still never got a real answer to my questions...
Old June 6, 2002, 20:31   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:03
I thinks Celts/Gauls are confirmed, as Infogrames official press release for the E3 said King Brennus was in. Also, in the video, we see a unique swordsman, which reaaaaly looks Celtic.
The only unsure thing is the presence of Arabs (Ottomans are a sure thing : in the video, we can see Istanbul and Antalya). Only one article mentions them, and the journlaist mught have gone wrong.
Old June 6, 2002, 21:41   #15
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
Quote:
The only unsure thing is the presence of Arabs (Ottomans are a sure thing : in the video, we can see Istanbul and Antalya).
ok then the arabs are most likely not in imo. they're too geographically overlapping and culturally similar to eachother for both to be in. therefore i take this (quite optimistic yes) as evidence for the inclusion of the incas. at the least it increases the probability, i would say.
Old June 7, 2002, 08:03   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

they should put Jews / Hebrews / Israeli , and Arabs in , ......

have a nice day
Old June 7, 2002, 11:45   #17
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
ok then the arabs are most likely not in imo. they're too geographically overlapping and culturally similar to eachother for both to be in. therefore i take this (quite optimistic yes) as evidence for the inclusion of the incas. at the least it increases the probability, i would say.
And Spain/Gaul/France/Rome/Germany aren't overlapping at all?
I don't really think geographic distribution is as important to them as everyone is making it out to be...
Old June 7, 2002, 15:29   #18
monkspider
King

I agree with Trip, it's no biggie.

I also agree with panag, Arabs and Hebrews both need to be in. In fact, I am surprised that it looks like that they both won't be. Perhaps Firaxis is hoping to keep a couple popular civs (Inca, Israel) in the bag to sell their next XP.
Old June 7, 2002, 15:37   #19
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
I agree with Trip, it's no biggie.

I also agree with panag, Arabs and Hebrews both need to be in. In fact, I am surprised that it looks like that they both won't be. Perhaps Firaxis is hoping to keep a couple popular civs (Inca, Israel) in the bag to sell their next XP.
hi ,

they should put more civ's on PTW , so that one can choose the ones he can play with , ....

have a nice day
Old June 8, 2002, 19:48   #20
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I can't understand why Korea should be in the XP? How have they been important in history? I would like the Israelians(sp?) in, after all, they were a force to be recogniced with once.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 8, 2002, 19:50   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
I can't understand why Korea should be in the XP? How have they been important in history? I would like the Israelians(sp?) in, after all, they were a force to be recogniced with once.
hi ,

ahem , without going in it to deep , "they still are" , ...

have a nice day
Old June 8, 2002, 20:00   #22
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

LOL, yes with the USA's help, that is. But don't let us fight about the details. And Israel was not a country for over 2000 years before they arose again, so that is what I meant.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 8, 2002, 20:03   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
LOL, yes with the USA's help, that is. But don't let us fight about the details. And Israel was not a country for over 2000 years before they arose again, so that is what I meant.
hi ,

nowadays they dont need the US , its handy thats all , ...the US armed forces are buying comp's and missili's in Israel , ....why would that be , .......

and true , for 2000 year we where a bit down under , but never again , .......

allas , have a nice night
Old June 8, 2002, 21:33   #24
Jon Shafer

Quote:
There's a lot more history to Korea than most people are aware of. They haven't just been fought over by the Chinese and Japanese for thousands of years. Korea was once a force to be reckoned with as well.

And when were the Israelis that powerful? Sure they had a nice kingdom going a while back, but I doubt they could have done things on the scale of some of the other civs.
Old June 8, 2002, 22:48   #25
ranskaldan
Prince

The Hebrews should be in civ, because they were simply so intriguing..... in every single way.

I can't believe the Inca are out.......!

Last edited by ranskaldan; June 9, 2002 at 02:08.
Old June 9, 2002, 07:49   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ranskaldan
The Hebrews should be in civ, because they were simply so intriguing..... in every single way.

I can't believe the Inca are out.......!
hi ,

relax , with the new editor there shall be the ability to put civ's in , ....

have a nice day
Old June 9, 2002, 12:45   #27
ranskaldan
Prince

The editor'd better be good.......!
Old June 9, 2002, 12:48   #28
Jon Shafer

Well, it'll be better than the current one at least.
Old June 9, 2002, 12:49   #29
ranskaldan
Prince

lol!

If that's our standard of measurement, then I think we can forget about adding civs
Old June 9, 2002, 13:47   #30
Jon Shafer

Good point.