Old June 7, 2002, 06:29   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
WAR plan for Liberation of Thebes and Philadelphia
/me enters room full of raucous reporters and fans.

/me takes up his place at a lectern and waits for the rapturous applause () to die down

Ahem. I wish to announce the War Ministry's detailed plan to finally liberate the workers of Thebes and Philadelphia from their cruel overlords. We cannot listen to their pleas any longer, thus this plan is to be put into effect immediately!

I read the statement form the Ministry:

Here I present (separately) the plans for wresting the noble cities of Thebes and Philadelphia from

their corrupt overlords, the most pungent of rulers, the Americans and Egyptians. At the end is a

combined turn-by turn account of what is to be done (mainly for the Premier's benefit).

All of this depends on how quick we want things started. We could choose not to rushbuy some or all of

these Ironclads, but that will delay us and I will mention the turns delay at each point.

First plan: Striking while the Ironclads are Hot

Turn 0 -1720 AD, where we are now (things to do before pushing "Enter" to end the turn).

-Rushbuy 'Clad 1 in Light (64g) - 2 turns to build
-Move 2 Crusaders out of Heliopolis as on my map1

Turn 1

-Start moving 'Clad 1 to Thebes (will arrive on 4th turn)
-Continue moving Caravel carrying Caravan and Diplomat to Thebes (will arrive on 4th turn)
-Keep moving Crusaders

Turn 2

-Moving

Turn 3

-Moving
-Rush 'Clad 2 in Heliopolis (46g) - 3 turns to build

Turn 4

-Move 'Clad 2 to Thebes, arrives with 1 move left
-'Clad 1 arrives at Thebes with 5 moves left
-Caravel reaches Thebes, arrives with 2 moves left.
-Caravan bedazzles Thebans with our splendour, bedazzles us with their riches.
-Superclads ATTACK - if they kill all opposition, move Crusaders into city, Diplomat disembarks from
Caravel into city

Thebes is OURS

Turn 5

-Send 'Clads 1 & 2 towards Philadelphia (arrive turn 9)

With an income of 60/turn we will have easily recouped the rushbuy cost by the time we arrive and own

Thebes. Besides, we expect massive payouts upon entering the city, so I don't see why anyone should be

worried about the rushbuys.

Second Plan: Hot Ironclads and (American) Blood

Turn 1

-Pickup second musketeer and send Caravel form NE of kIndalia map3 (now with two musketeers)

towards Philadelphia (will arrive on turn 4)

Turn 3

-Rush 'Clad 3 in Ten Zuiden (73g) - 8 turns to build

Turn 4

-Move 'Clad 3 to Philadelphia (will arrive on turn 6)
-Disembark Musketeers as at map4
Turn 5

-Rush 'Clad 4 in Light (91g) - 3 turns to build
-Move Crusader from two squares NE of Heliopolis E to tundra map5

Turn 6

-Move 'Clad 4 to Philadelphia - arrives with 1 move left
-'Clad 3 arrives at Philadelphia with 6 moves left
-ATTACK PHILADELPHIA. If we kill everything the Crusader can take the city.

Again, only 164 gold rushbuying here, regained by our own Trade Supremo within 3 turns. Thus at the

end of 6 turns we will be at the same monetary state as before, our liberated gains and caravan goodies

not counted!

If it makes the Premier happy, he can delay the assaults on the cities until the Superclads are with

full moves, and this just delays the attack on Thebes until turn 5, and the attack on Philadelphia

until turn 7. As this is the case, our land troops do not need to be in place for another turn, thus

we can delay the Crusaders moving towards Thebes by one turn (they leave turn 1 instead of before the

end of turn 0). We could also delay the movement of the Crusader from two squares NE of Heliopolis

towards Philadelphia until turn 6.

I have looked at the other cities building 'Clads: Balsindia is 21 moves away (3 full turns of moving),

currently 10 turns from building a 'Clad; Umbra is 31 moves away (5 turns of moving away) and 6 turns

from completing a 'Clad; Ormond is 29 moves away (5 turns of moving) and 5 turns from completion. I

think we should leave these until such a time as they are needed, or build them without rushing, in

which case we send them to the front immediately.

I can't expect the unexpected... that is the Premier's job. If anything goes awry, I expect that

allowances will be made, and if there are more defenders than we thought in either of these cities it

could delay their conquest - but hopefully that is all!

That's it here, the plan on Washington shall commence once our soldiers have been lead to glorious

victory over Thebes and Philadelphia!

For the Premier:

Turn 0 -1720 AD, where we are now (things to do before pushing "Enter" to end the turn).

-Rushbuy 'Clad 1 in Light (64g) - 2 turns to build
-Move 2 Crusaders out of Heliopolis as on my map1 - HAPPENS TURN 1 IF WE DELAY ATTACK FOR FULL

STRENGTH IRONCLADS

Turn 1

-Start moving 'Clad 1 to Thebes (will arrive on 4th turn)
-Continue moving Caravel carrying Caravan and Diplomat to Thebes (will arrive on 4th turn)
-Keep moving Crusaders
-Pickup second musketeer and send Caravel from NE of kIndalia map3 (now with two musketeers)

towards Philadelphia (will arrive on turn 4)

Turn 2

-Moving

Turn 3

-Moving
-Rush 'Clad 2 in Heliopolis (46g) - 3 turns to build
-Rush 'Clad 3 in Ten Zuiden (73g) - 8 turns to build

Turn 4

-Move 'Clad 2 to Thebes, arrives with 1 move left
-'Clad 1 arrives at Thebes with 5 moves left
-Caravel reaches Thebes, arrives with 2 moves left.
-Caravan bedazzles Thebans with our splendour, bedazzles us with their riches.
-Superclads ATTACK - if they kill all opposition, move Crusaders into city, Diplomat disembarks from
Caravel into city

Thebes is OURS

-Move 'Clad 3 to Philadelphia (will arrive on turn 6)
-Disembark Musketeers as at map4

Turn 5

-Send 'Clads 1 & 2 towards Philadelphia (arrive turn 9)
-Rush 'Clad 4 in Light (91g) - 3 turns to build
-Move Crusader from two squares NE of Heliopolis E to tundra map5

Turn 6

-Move 'Clad 4 to Philadelphia - arrives with 1 move left
-'Clad 3 arrives at Philadelphia with 6 moves left
-ATTACK PHILADELPHIA. If we kill everything the Crusader can take the city.
-Change course of 'Clads 1 & 2 to Washington if Philadelphia is ours!

That is all. Discuss, cross-check etc. But above all don't be too negative. You won't BELIEVE how much time this took.

Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Stupid capitalist ba*tards thought they could take my smiley. But I got my damn smiley back.

/me shakes his fist

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; June 7, 2002 at 19:26.
Old June 7, 2002, 06:31   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Map 1

The arrows show moves turn by turn. The last is conditional on us having killed all defenders, naturally.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	map1.gif
Views:	43
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	16899  

Old June 7, 2002, 06:33   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Map 2

The white tile show where the Caravel will unload the diplomat from, before continuing on it's mission.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	map2.gif
Views:	41
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	16900  

Old June 7, 2002, 06:34   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Map 3

Arrows show location of musketeers to be transported to Philadelphia and position of Ironclads attacking Philadelphia.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mapa3.gif
Views:	42
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	16901  

Old June 7, 2002, 06:35   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Map 4

White tile shows suggested location for Musketeers to unload from Caravel.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mapa4.gif
Views:	42
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	16902  

Old June 7, 2002, 06:38   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Finally, Map 5.

Movement of Crusader to Philadelphia.

Phew!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mapa5.gif
Views:	41
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	16903  

Old June 7, 2002, 08:08   #7
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:07
Spies indicate that the egyptians and americans have crusaders on the move near these cities , I sure our great leader will deal with them if they get in the way

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 7, 2002, 08:33   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
! We have a ton of money, we should spend some of it for big military stuff like this!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 7, 2002, 08:42   #9
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 21:07
Looks like History in the making. Let's also remember to
1. decide which new techs we will liberate, and in what order, and
2. have dips ready to begin the Bribe An Egyptian For The Motherland campaign.

Great job, MrWIA.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 7, 2002, 08:56   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

The science is not fully my domain, but in the Ministry's opinion, Medicine is useless (leads only to Sanitation, and Shakespeare lives under an American yoke already). Bridege Building allow RR in the future (Darwin) and on to Industrialization. Economics is useless short-term except for the odd Stock Exchange we could build, but is an important pre-req for things like Mass Production in the future.

Light has great production - it will be 9 excess shields after both 'Clads have been built there. once again, not quite my domain, but I suggest this city founds a diplomat training academy. It is very near to the intended... recipients, of our "diplomacy".

MrWIA.

Old June 7, 2002, 09:09   #11
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 03:07

Yaaiks , I already start pitying those Egyptian and American troops.

Neat planning

Shade
Old June 7, 2002, 09:12   #12
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 04:07
Let the invasion begin

Our first tech should be bridge building, railroad together with shipchains will give us an almost unlimited striking range
Old June 7, 2002, 09:14   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. Your comments really matter, guys, this was a MAJOR undertaking. You should see the pieces of paper coating my room! Plenty of rejected plans around.

Thanks especially to you shade. As ex-SMC you know something about this job - it's good to get the approval of a predecessor.

MrWIA.

Old June 7, 2002, 09:32   #14
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 23:07
Remember to rush build in small steps!
Old June 7, 2002, 09:37   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

My plan IS rush-building in small steps. If we bought an Ironclad straight up, it'd cost 600 gold. We're not doin' too bad this way.

Trust me, I know what I'm doin'.

MrWIA.

Old June 7, 2002, 10:11   #16
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Thank you greatly Minister of War MWIA! Your efforts on behalf of the Workers is greatly appreciated. It is an excellent plan!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 7, 2002, 10:14   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

I exist only to further the cause of building atrue workers' paradise for all , Comrade Premier.

And I'm still looking forward to your Histories, -Jrabbit.

MrWIA.

Let the games begin!

Old June 7, 2002, 10:38   #18
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
And I'm still looking forward to your Histories, -Jrabbit.

Uh, in process.....................

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 7, 2002, 10:43   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Of course... What would all that champagne and fine brandy flowing into the Historian's offices be for other than as an inspiration...?

MrWIA.

Old June 7, 2002, 11:03   #20
Kropotkin
Emperor

Seems like a well-planned operation there Herr Kriegsminister!
Old June 7, 2002, 11:43   #21
Marquis de Sodaq
King

A fine plan. Good idea to drop musketeers in the hills east of Philadelphia. With luck, the walls of Thebes will still be standing after we sack the city...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 7, 2002, 14:20   #22
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Impressive. This plan will put us well on our way to conquering the world!
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old June 7, 2002, 14:59   #23
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 02:07
I'm *shock horror* impressed! Even capitalist Bear thinks this will work quite well..

However, back to my pro-capitalist thoughts.

We should definetly take bridge building when we capture a city, for two reasons:

1) A couple of cities in our empire would benefit in terms of productivity and trade if we built roads over some of their rivers
2) It would lead to the railroad, and that would increase productivity (railroad on forest equals +1 shield) in a few places.

As you know:
trade = more money/more science = more units/newer units = more ways of keeping peace (or killing)
shields = more improvements = more shields = more improvements = more units

Soo.. get bridge building
Old June 7, 2002, 15:49   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:07
I say wait for full strength Ironclads, but move the Crusader on Turn 0, except only one space and with a Musketeer. This way it takes an extra turn to get to Thebes, but the Ironclad won't be there anyway, and our Crusader won't be vulnerable, as it will be within reach of an Egyptian Crusader within the city.

Move a Musketeer with the Philadelphia Crusader for its first move, for the same reason as above.
Old June 7, 2002, 16:31   #25
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Btw, why does the dip disembark? If we are going to bribe Egyptians after Thebes anyway we might as well send a dip that way.
Old June 7, 2002, 16:43   #26
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
1) A couple of cities in our empire would benefit in terms of productivity and trade if we built roads over some of their rivers
Also, homelessness among trolls is up. They need bridges under which to live!

Yes, why is the diplomat jumping off the ship? If we sack Thebes, he could be activated from the city and bribe Memphis that same turn.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 7, 2002, 19:12   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Well I was hoping to deal with the diplomat AFTER all of this was resolved; as I said it's not really my job to plan for the unexpected, merely to play it safe.

However, the map shows that, if we enter Thebes with the Caravel (and diplomat) the turn we capture it, we can instantly move the diplo as shown by the red arrow. It will take another move to reach Memphis, during which time our diplo is highly vulnerable. Hydey suggests (don't ask me how he got the information ) Egypt has troops hanging around, and this would mean almost certain death to our brave professionals. Even if the Egyptians have built a road right up to Memphis it would take two turns.

I strongly advise against this course of action - we have no need to take Memphis so quickly, without Crusaders/Musketeers to back up the diplo and to garrison the city. I want to deal with diplomat use next session where possible, in my mind this is reaching too far into Egyptian territory without backup.

Despite this, perhaps NOT disembarking the diplomat and instead bringing it into Thebes is a good idea. Let me deal with the diplomat NEXT war plan. PLEASE?

MrWIA.

Old June 7, 2002, 19:13   #28
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Map
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	dip.gif
Views:	30
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	16957  

Old June 7, 2002, 19:19   #29
atawa
King

Its not a bad idea to take the dip on the ship, there is an extra space and we might get to bribe a unit or 2 on the road to Memphis.

Walking up and down the road, he can scout the territory, bribing units where necesary.
Old June 7, 2002, 19:53   #30
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i know diplomats dissapear after investigating a city, is it the same way with bribing units?